: MUFFLERS DELETED!!! low end torque GONE

paulboy2006
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
OK so i just got my 06 gto back (6 speed) and OH WOW ITS LOUD LOL!!! But the car used to feel VERY powerfull and snapped ur head back. now it almost feels sluggish, like its bogging, How can i keep my straight pipes but regain the lost power? i guess its low backpressure thats causing it
Thanks!

Paul Fay

Nemisis
09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Just keep the stock catback and get some cutouts for it! You'll lose some low end torque but you usually pick up some power up top, thats the trade off.

1969 SS
09-14-2006, 01:31 PM
OK so i just got my 06 gto back (6 speed) and OH WOW ITS LOUD LOL!!! But the car used to feel VERY powerfull and snapped ur head back. now it almost feels sluggish, like its bogging, How can i keep my straight pipes but regain the lost power? i guess its low backpressure thats causing it
Thanks!

Paul Fay

I don't know why so many people want straight pipes. all you get is noise. to me an exhaust should compliment the sound of the engine, not just make a bunch of noise so you can't hear the engine sing

OrangeCrushM6
09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't know why so many people want straight pipes. all you get is noise. to me an exhaust should compliment the sound of the engine, not just make a bunch of noise so you can't hear the engine sing

Amen to that, but to each their own.

yesbill
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
That is so true. They both should sing in their own but complementary song. There should be that wonderful mechanical harmony. :)

Nemisis
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
You want a better sound but it should give performance gains as well! That is something most of the aftermarket catbacks are lacking. I have seen a few dyno's where they get a mild increase but most of the time for the average buyer its not worth it.

04silvergto
09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
i know what you mean... I have been running open headers for the past two weeks because I am having a custom 3 inch catback on and it is driving me crazy the noise and the apparent lose of power

LS2-GTO
09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
You want a better sound but it should give performance gains as well! That is something most of the aftermarket catbacks are lacking. I have seen a few dyno's where they get a mild increase but most of the time for the average buyer its not worth it.

Except for the fact that the stock system is heavy and junk.

Between the stock chambered mufflers and pinched pipes, even if minimal, there must be some gains (2hp?) to be had with a quality straight through catback system.

Besides, we all know the real gains are to be had with LT's and Mids.

gdev_
09-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks!

Paul Fay

I think it's all in your head... Even if it lost _any_ HP, from what I've seen/read you would be looking at 5hp or less, and I'd bet money you can't feel 5hp of difference....

stevenmalone
09-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Two things, it's a matter of opinion on what sound you want and for the slow start...??? That happened when I put my k&n aircharger on, all I can tell is that it has a deep throat tone.

paulboy2006
09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Well i remeber being jerked in my seat (sounds bad huh?) lol but now it dusnt, still feels like a monster LOL!! the thing i dont like is the terrible popping when downshifting and coming to a stop... why dus it pop??!! When u deaccelerate it DUSNT POP, only dus it after a downshift... tune will fix? I just dont down shift at the moment. I already got 2 compliments "best sounding gto ever" " wow thats awesome, i could hear u a mile away, nice pipes man"

So in all im very pleased... i just wish it felt like it did before but MAYBEE it was in my head!

I was thinking about throwing on some glass packs... any thoughts?

Paul

Nemisis
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
The only pipes I've seen pinched is where it crosses under the rear shafts if I remember right?!? Thats why I opted to just get cutouts, I liked the stock catback sound with the longtube/off road pipe combination, with resonator delete, now with the 402 its pretty loud no matter what:D

Mizat1369
09-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I had my mufflers deleted today and wow I love the sound very loud but not too loud when crusing on the highway at 80 in 6th. I dont really feel a power loss low end but I feel a slight pickup top end so I'll take it. Also the car sounds almost identical )for some reason?) to my roommates 02 WS6 with longtubes no cats and slp LM1 catback. I find this interesting.

Mizat1369
09-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Also, do you think there is enough back pressure with the cats still there?

paulboy2006
09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Well i changed my mind, i think its in my head, car performed awesome today after the first ride (it was REALLY hot when i picked up the car, almost 96. and it rained earlier after i got it and it came down to like 75 so that was the problem. my car is EXTREMELY quiet ont he highway at 75-85.. almost like stock (witht he windows closed) so i dunno why thats soo different?

Paul

gdev_
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Also, do you think there is enough back pressure with the cats still there?

more than enough.

Tim05GTO
09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
You will not lose torque because you deleted the mufflers! Backpressure will only hurt power output. If you reduce backpressure and you actually do "measure" a loss of power then it is because the A/F ratio is no longer optimum... that's it.

paulboy2006
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Tim, coming to Orlando for the scary thing on halloween, u going?

Paul

Kyle_LS1
09-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Except for the fact that the stock system is heavy and junk.

Between the stock chambered mufflers and pinched pipes, even if minimal, there must be some gains (2hp?) to be had with a quality straight through catback system.

Besides, we all know the real gains are to be had with LT's and Mids.

Are the stock mufflers in the '05 chambered? I know the stock mufflers in the '04 just have a perforated pipe running through it from inlet to outlet.

Also, this popping people are talking about, is it a distinct popping. What I hear sometimes I would almost call a burbling sound. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this different from the popping? Thanks.

YaXMaN
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Aw horse shizzle. No low end torque? I deleted my muffs months ago, but I also put in an x-pipe to get rid of the back fires. Believe it or not, the x-pipe knocked down the sound throughout the range a pretty good bit.

I'll share a bit of real world experience. My buddy has a stock '06 M6, and we did a side by side second gear punch from about 1500-2000 rpms. We stayed exactly door to door until about 4000rpm when I started pulling pretty hard. We did this a couple of times and the results were consistent. I didn't lose anything on the low end. Could chalk it up to more break-in or the xpipe, but he did dyno 340/340 with 800 miles on the motor, so his ride is running pretty good already. Anyways...

YaXMaN
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Also, this popping people are talking about, is it a distinct popping. What I hear sometimes I would almost call a burbling sound. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this different from the popping? Thanks.

Naw, I drove around with the stock resonator with the muff delete, and I flat-out had BACK FIRE. With the x-pipe, I have popping, and I certainly don't mind it. Understand, if you want a pure Nascar sound, just the muff delete is the way to go. A guy a Nova just about fell out of his car window yelling "THATS SOUNDS F'CKIN BADASS!!!!" to me when I didn't have the x-pipe. You can take that for what its worth...

If I had an A4 and couldn't control the throttle as much, I'm not sure I would have done either - with the M6 its much easier to control the sound when the popo is around. I can also attest to the fact that muff delete is not as loud as a cammed, off-road headers, catback GTO, but not much is.

jarrett06
09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Are the stock mufflers in the '05 chambered? I know the stock mufflers in the '04 just have a perforated pipe running through it from inlet to outlet.

It pops and burbs. It's just cold air and you can tell because you're not popping when you're revving. Just when you ease off the gas at 4th, not too loud of a pop, at 3rd pretty loud depending on the temp and 2nd real loud sometimes. To each is own, i love it! But that wasn't my intention to begin with. I wanted flowmasters as soon as i got my '04 M6 and the shop said the muffler well was was too short for anykind of flowmaster and said to give it a try with the muffler delete. Since then i've been really satisfied with my goat. I love the sound especially on 4th gear traveling about 80 and you ease off the gas!

TonyTJ
09-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I have loud popping with my exhaust, which is LT's, highflow cats, x-pipe, straight pipes back. I like the quieter pops, like when letting off the gas around 2,000 rpm, but when it gets around 1,200 it pops extremely loud. I don't really care for the really loud ones, so I put the clutch in and popping stops. Just another reason that the M6 is better than an A4.

hardball75006
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Just another reason that the M6 is better than an A4.

In your opinion.

My car doesn't make loud poping sounds, so I don't need your push in the clutch and it goes away feature.

LIVEVIL
09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I have no resonators or mufflers, and did not notice a loss of power. I have a tune on my car though.

nikivee
09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Why are you removing you mufflers? You are gaining nothing but loud noise. Removing the mufflers is something we did on our Nova's back in high school. It was redneck then, and it's redneck now.

MacDogg
09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Lotta red necks round her!
Is this red neck, too:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103984

spd98
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
The popping is the decel fueling. You can delete it with a tune.

1969 SS
09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Why are you removing you mufflers? You are gaining nothing but loud noise. Removing the mufflers is something we did on our Nova's back in high school. It was redneck then, and it's redneck now.

+ 1

GOT1GOAT
09-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Might not be worth it for the hp gain for the race crowd but it does wake up the LS1 a bit and sounds sweet and a few more mpg and is lighter than stock @25lbs. Well worth $526.90 to me but - to each his/her own.

JUNIPER9803
09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Cost Less Than $200.00 Bucks [delets] From Member On Forum. I Personally Like The Burble On Decel And Roar On Acell.no Power Loss On My Car Plus Its Only Two Bolts On Each Side To Put Back To Stock In 30 Min Max, On Floor.

paulboy2006
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM
yeah tommorow im putting on the cai im creating, if this dusnt make the car feel normal again, im putting the mufflers back on and returnignt he intake to stock. I DEFENATLy have lost acceleration, it bogs when u gun it, whereas before it just picked up instantly and smoothly. Also i cant stand the BACKfiring on de-accel LOL!!

Ill post my opinions

paul

Mikey340
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Muff delete plus resonator delete equals huge SEG!!
Resonator delete plus super 40's equals low, mean muscle sound but not as free revving as the muff delete.
Each to his own but muff delete is best bang for the buck IMHO!

billseast
09-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks!

Paul Fay
you just need to get it tuned and u will have your low end back

paulboy2006
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
awesome, im having it dyno tuned in 6 weeks or so.. depends on how much work i have coming up to pay for it :D

I guess i can live with it for now! its just the BACK FIRES and the loss off power, otherwise its fantastic!

Paul

Nitefall
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
It must be to each there own and I for one have had people wave me down when passing by there house or pull up to me in traffic (70 something couple in a magnum :)) to tell me how good my exhaust sounds on the car. So if thats considered being a red neck GET-R-DONE, maybe someone should call up Jeff Foxworthy :)

paulboy2006
09-15-2006, 04:59 PM
It must be to each there own and I for one have had people wave me down when passing by there house or pull up to me in traffic (70 something couple in a magnum :)) to tell me how good my exhaust sounds on the car. So if thats considered being a red neck GET-R-DONE, maybe someone should call up Jeff Foxworthy :)

Your car is as hot as your avatar :judge:

LA_Phantom
09-15-2006, 05:37 PM
The popping is the decel fueling. You can delete it with a tune.

Can you actually delete it, or simply reduce it? Jeremy Formato implied that he could reduce the popping, but could not complete get rid of it. Did I misunderstand what he was telling me?

-K

NeveGTO
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
I would add glasspack resonators. they'll smooth the sound out alot and still be noisy.

paulboy2006
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I found a company that makes a 12" glasspack... going to be buying them end of this week.

New symptoms... got my self in a situation when i reallllly need to ****ing move out of a guys way, shift into 2nd at 35mph at hit it... big bang and lots of bog.... i have way to much exhaust flow... So how will glasspacks with the same inside diamiter as the pipes make back pressure? im lost.. and how can mufflers make back pressure, they are BIGGER inside than the pipes...!! please teach

Nitefall
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
wow you have some weird stuff going on with your car mine has never had a big bang and lots of bog how much do you drive it and how many miles do you have on the clock?

LIVEVIL
09-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Sorry but your problems sound a lot worse than just adding deletes can do. I have deletes and no resonator and have had NO issues like those at all.

paulboy2006
09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
returning it to stock tonight and seeing what its like... dont get me wrong... its not like a gunshot BANG... its just a boggy POP when u hit the gas after deacclerating, and it defenatly bogs a shitload.

Thanks for reading, keep yall posted.

Paul

Oh and i only have 1,300 miles

thanks

Crockett
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
flamesuit on. Say what y'all want but I just removed my resonators only on my A4 04 and I absolutely could tell a very small difference regarding a loss in torque. At low RPM's and slow speed I would punch it before and it seemed more peppy, now it takes a second and then picks up once the RPM's have increased.

paulboy2006
09-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Well the stock mufflers are back on! took 15 mins... easy job.. When the rain lets up ill take her out... but me and a friend both reved the car with the straight pipes.. and then did it after the stock mufflers when back on, and wow what a difference... it just revs soo happily now instead of burping.

Might be a bad job on the straight pipes?? but they look nicely made

Paul