: chrome stock wheels

planman
03-23-2004, 06:25 AM
I am picking up my black on black GTO this week.

When I asked the dealer about aftermarket wheels, he suggested that I consider having the stock wheels chromed. The cost would be about $100-$125 a wheel and take about a week. He sends them to Colorado, and I am in Montana.

The dealer regularly has polished aluminum, stock Cadillac wheels chromed for his new inventory. He says that by having the stock wheels chromed, I wouldn't have to worry about wheel hop, balance, fender well and offset problems that I may have with aftermarket wheels.

It seems like an inexpensive way to improve the look of the car--even though it woundn't look as nice as the pictures on this forum.

What do you think?

Does anyone with graphic software have the capability to show what a chromed stock wheel would look like on a black car?

tdimasi
03-23-2004, 06:39 AM
While I think chromed stock wheels would look good, I bailed on this idea for a couple of reasons. The first has been my experience with the chroming process. When it comes to wheels, I don't have confidence in the vast majority of shops. I've seen too much bad chroming that starts to evidence itself a few months down the road.

I did contact Stocton Wheel in Stocton, CA. Can't recall the price ($250 or so per wheel) They express a lot of confidence in their shop. I'd be inclined to trust them just because of their reputation in the street rod world.

Reason #2 is the time. With a good shop, you'll probably lay your wheels up for at least a month.

dms
03-23-2004, 07:32 AM
i HAVE HAD SOME GREAT SUCCESS WITH A CHROME POWDER COATING. IT IS BACKED ON LIKE REGUALR POWDER COATING AND BETTER RESISITANCE TO
CORROSION. HAVE SOME CUSTOMERS USING TRUCKS THAT BACK UP INTO THE OCEAN TO LAUNCH THEIR SALMON BOATS. AFTER A YEAR OR SO, THEY STILL LOOK PERFECT. REAR BRAKES LOOK LIKE @#$%^. IT IS ALITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE. IN OUR AREA ITS AROUND $175-$200 PER WHEEL. PLUS THEY CAN TINT THE CHROME AND MAKE IT LOOK ALITTLE DARKER IF YOU WANT. IN FACT I PREFER THE DARKER LOOK BECAUSE IT LOOKS MUCH RICHER. ON A BLACK GTO, IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME. :)

DANSLS1
03-23-2004, 08:28 AM
I really, really don't like the black GTO's with chrome (or polished) rims. Go graphite or black, IMHO.
Dan

1stChildhood
04-23-2004, 11:23 PM
On ebay--- new red/red with CHROME wheels...
This is what I WISH were coming on mine...can't find anything that says where/why/how/who they got like this. Ad makes you think these are factory original. Guess I can dream they made a production change!!!!
Does anyone know what is going on?
Maybe I ought to call them and ask...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7244&item=2474842805&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

FLORIT
04-24-2004, 05:00 AM
Those are definitely chromed factory wheels, put surely not from the factory. Either they had them chromed (possible) or, God forbid, they PAINTED them with that "chrome in a can". If it's the latter, forget it.

I gotta admit though, those look good.

Monaro Aussie
04-24-2004, 02:52 PM
I realise you GTO owners have 17" wheels fitted from the factory. These same 17" wheels are fitted to our GM Holden SS GEN III V8 utes over here. HOWEVER there is an 18" version made which is identical to the 17"s and it's stock fittment to the GM Holden VY SS GEN III sedan. Reason GMH did this was due to the load rating of our ute.

If it helps anyone out I don't mind giving the part number and you should be able to order them straight over the spare parts counter at any GM dealer. I know some people love the look of the wheel but would like to go to 18"s. At least this way your still keeping that "stock" look on your GTO's.

cfp40
04-24-2004, 06:46 PM
I had my wheels chromed by the dealer before I picked my car up. Paid $250 per wheel to have it done. The price included all labor to remove tires/remount tires/wheel balance/re-install. Maybe a little expensive but I like the factory wheels and they look awsome chrome.

Carmen

radkon
05-12-2004, 10:34 AM
must be a good chrome shop here in Cleveland, my dealer had a black GTO with chromed wheels, they took them off and had them done by a local shop. I would have gotten mine done but didn't think they'd look good on my yellow jacket. Oh yeah they also wanted $1500 for them. I figured I could get aftermarket 18"s for about that, maybe even have a few bucks left over for rubber.

speed_demon_freak
05-12-2004, 10:37 AM
I had my wheels chromed by the dealer before I picked my car up. Paid $250 per wheel to have it done. The price included all labor to remove tires/remount tires/wheel balance/re-install. Maybe a little expensive but I like the factory wheels and they look awsome chrome.

Carmen

Its hard to tell what those wheels look like from that pic.

I would like to see a bigger pic.

1stChildhood
05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
On ebay--- new red/red with CHROME wheels...
This is what I WISH were coming on mine...can't find anything that says where/why/how/who they got like this. Ad makes you think these are factory original. Guess I can dream they made a production change!!!!
Does anyone know what is going on?
Maybe I ought to call them and ask...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7244&item=2474842805&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I like the factory wheel stying and want to keep the original size, but I sure would love to have a chromed set.
It just occurred to me, since there are getting to be a number of new GTO's on the street, I wish a (reputable) chrome shop would buy a few sets of factory wheels and offer an exchange program. I would pay a couple hundred per wheel if they would ship me a set chromed, and I then ship my stock wheels back to them. They'd probably have to do some kind of deposit plan to make sure they got the factory set back, like a credit card charge or something, then a refund when wheels were received.
What I WON'T do is be without the car for a month... hey chromers, there's $$$ to be made here.........!!!!!!!! Just a thought.

cfp40
05-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Its hard to tell what those wheels look like from that pic.

I would like to see a bigger pic.

Trying to send a better pic but not having any luck.
Carmen

nikivee
05-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Those look really nice! I'm thinking about doing the same thing to mine.

GTOME
05-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Those are nice. I am definatly gonna look into having mine done.
Have to get a trans for my Blazer first so I have something to drive while the Goat's laid up.

tbone3424
05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Trying to send a better pic but not having any luck.
Carmen
who chromed those wheels for you and how much were they?

cfp40
05-13-2004, 07:23 PM
who chromed those wheels for you and how much were they?

The dealer I purchased my GTO from also owns a plating shop. They charged me $250 per wheel ($1000 total) which included removal, remounting and balancing of the tires.

Carmen

yourguyry
05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
yeah where did you get them done???

Jodi
05-14-2004, 02:35 AM
If someone wants their OEM's chromed, but can't be without their ride, I could work something out with maybe shipping my OEMs to the chrome jobber
and then having the recipient ship their OEMs to me for replacement when they receive the chromed ones back. Just a thought. Contact me if interested.

mistermike
05-14-2004, 02:54 AM
must be a good chrome shop here in Cleveland, my dealer had a black GTO with chromed wheels, they took them off and had them done by a local shop. I would have gotten mine done but didn't think they'd look good on my yellow jacket. Oh yeah they also wanted $1500 for them. I figured I could get aftermarket 18"s for about that, maybe even have a few bucks left over for rubber.
Which dealer? Was it Pete Baur? The GM there told me he was thinking of sending some wheels out for chroming.

mistermike
05-14-2004, 02:55 AM
The dealer I purchased my GTO from also owns a plating shop. They charged me $250 per wheel ($1000 total) which included removal, remounting and balancing of the tires.

Carmen
What dealer?

cfp40
05-14-2004, 04:04 AM
yeah where did you get them done???

Bob Morris Pontiac-GMC in North Ridgeville Ohio

B/STOCK
08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
That EBAY car starting bid is $32,995 and 120 test drive miles on it. I look at that as a used car. Some dealers are still trying.

MatadorRed69
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
I was waiting for someone to do this. Those chrome wheels look good but I prefer a polished look like the Trans Am WS6 wheels. A buddy of mine was quoted $800 for chrome or $500 for polish from a local wheel shop in KC for his Z06 Corvette. This does not include removing the tires and remounting them. I believe chroming the wheels adds weight but is easy to care for, while polishing takes a lot of maintenance to look good.

B/STOCK
08-20-2004, 09:29 PM
while polishing takes a lot of maintenance to look good.

Not if you clear coat them. The GTO wheels would look very nice polished. IMHO I prefer polished to chrome.

impulseblue gto
09-07-2004, 06:20 PM
I got mine for free when i picked up my impulse blue one yesterday and so did my dad on his quicksilver from morris pontiac they look awsome on my impulse they make the car.

steve :)

04 LS1-MAN
10-12-2004, 03:52 PM
i HAVE HAD SOME GREAT SUCCESS WITH A CHROME POWDER COATING. IT IS BACKED ON LIKE REGUALR POWDER COATING AND BETTER RESISITANCE TO
CORROSION. HAVE SOME CUSTOMERS USING TRUCKS THAT BACK UP INTO THE OCEAN TO LAUNCH THEIR SALMON BOATS. AFTER A YEAR OR SO, THEY STILL LOOK PERFECT. REAR BRAKES LOOK LIKE @#$%^. IT IS ALITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE. IN OUR AREA ITS AROUND $175-$200 PER WHEEL. PLUS THEY CAN TINT THE CHROME AND MAKE IT LOOK ALITTLE DARKER IF YOU WANT. IN FACT I PREFER THE DARKER LOOK BECAUSE IT LOOKS MUCH RICHER. ON A BLACK GTO, IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME. :)

I don't think I have ever seen chrome powdercoat, can you post any pics of what that stuff looks like.

FNDEMHT
01-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I realise you GTO owners have 17" wheels fitted from the factory. These same 17" wheels are fitted to our GM Holden SS GEN III V8 utes over here. HOWEVER there is an 18" version made which is identical to the 17"s and it's stock fittment to the GM Holden VY SS GEN III sedan. Reason GMH did this was due to the load rating of our ute.

If it helps anyone out I don't mind giving the part number and you should be able to order them straight over the spare parts counter at any GM dealer. I know some people love the look of the wheel but would like to go to 18"s. At least this way your still keeping that "stock" look on your GTO's.

I would be interested in the parts number for the 18" wheels for my GTO from Holden so my parts guy can get them ordered for me soon.

UnkleTim
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
There is a company out here in California that does chroming and they do it right. Very good quality. They charge just a bit over 500 bucks to rechrome the original wheels. Here is their website, I am having mine done next month.
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

I am picking up my black on black GTO this week.

When I asked the dealer about aftermarket wheels, he suggested that I consider having the stock wheels chromed. The cost would be about $100-$125 a wheel and take about a week. He sends them to Colorado, and I am in Montana.

The dealer regularly has polished aluminum, stock Cadillac wheels chromed for his new inventory. He says that by having the stock wheels chromed, I wouldn't have to worry about wheel hop, balance, fender well and offset problems that I may have with aftermarket wheels.

It seems like an inexpensive way to improve the look of the car--even though it woundn't look as nice as the pictures on this forum.

What do you think?

Does anyone with graphic software have the capability to show what a chromed stock wheel would look like on a black car?

MaxLift
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
There is a company out here in California that does chroming and they do it right. Very good quality. They charge just a bit over 500 bucks to rechrome the original wheels. Here is their website, I am having mine done next month.
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/
I will have to seriously consider this...I'm in San Jose...Stockton is that far away.... Do you know how long the process takes?

pmartin
01-31-2005, 04:32 PM
I will have to seriously consider this...I'm in San Jose...Stockton is that far away.... Do you know how long the process takes?

Good to see another San Jose GTO owner. There are a couple others around.

MaxLift
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
I bought my GTO 4 wks. ago. I love it. I'm on this forum every day & night (I'm retired). I have to think there must be advantages in belonging to a herd of goats(you mentioned there are others) in the San Jose area?? :eek2:

Pulse Red GTO
01-31-2005, 07:12 PM
I want to get mine chromed also. I have had a few leads, but haven't heard nothing back yet. I know there is a guy on here selling some, but I don't know all the details. I think they would look sharp on my car!!

JBarnes
02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Just a FYI, I'm in the Denver area. I called several chrome businesses and they all told me the same thing. Yes, they can be chromed but not done locally. They send them out to a specialized dealer that only does wheels. I got a quote of $120 per wheel with a 4 week delivery.

pmartin
02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
I bought my GTO 4 wks. ago. I love it. I'm on this forum every day & night (I'm retired). I have to think there must be advantages in belonging to a herd of goats(you mentioned there are others) in the San Jose area?? :eek2:

Yeah, look up Mikesan, and DDawson. I believe there are in San Jose or in the nearby area. I am on Silver Creek and Aborn. Bought mine on Dec. 17th, but could not pick up until Jan. 7th. It was in Arizona. Last IBM/Blue M6 left.

dms
02-02-2005, 08:37 PM

Pacific wheel can do the chrome powder coating in multiple shades. I think they are in Hayward. The powder coating is better than chrome. Not subject to the corrosive stuff. I have one in my show room in Dublin if you want to see what it looks like. You can role it out to the car and see if you like it.
dms

gordo24fan
02-02-2005, 08:53 PM

I am in Los Gatos. What part of San Jose you live in? I have been trying to find a place that does Black Chrome. They look sweet on every color I have seen them on so far. If you get bored, go check them out at Moore buick pontiac dealer in Los Gatos. They have those rims on some of the GTO's they have on lot. After that go to UNA MAS down the road and ask for Mike. He also owns a GTO (Blue)....mine is silver. PM me if you want to try and meet sometime and compare cars. When I am back in town I will post something to try and get a group of us to meet in the Bay area.

dms
02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I am in Los Gatos. What part of San Jose you live in? I have been trying to find a place that does Black Chrome. They look sweet on every color I have seen them on so far. If you get bored, go check them out at Moore buick pontiac dealer in Los Gatos. They have those rims on some of the GTO's they have on lot. After that go to UNA MAS down the road and ask for Mike. He also owns a GTO (Blue)....mine is silver. PM me if you want to try and meet sometime and compare cars. When I am back in town I will post something to try and get a group of us to meet in the Bay area.

Pacific wheels does black chrome'
dms

fratzke7
02-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey look here at pic number 4, it looks to me as though it is a stock GTO wheel that they are getting ready to chrome, maybe they have some instock??? Or maybe everyone should get together and see if they will do some kind of group buy the more the cheaper??? here is the link Wheel chroming of a stock GTO wheel!!! (http://www.calchrome.com/process.php)

fratzke7
02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey look here at pic number 4, it looks to me as though it is a stock GTO wheel that they are getting ready to chrome, maybe they have some instock??? Or maybe everyone should get together and see if they will do some kind of group buy the more the cheaper??? here is the link Wheel chroming of a stock GTO wheel!!! (http://www.calchrome.com/process.php)
Did some more looking and here you go, they do have our wheels available for exchange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY me!! :cool:
Wheel exchange program!!! (http://www.calchrome.com/process.php)

gordo24fan
02-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Will have to call that place on Monday. Thanks guys.

Pulse Red GTO
02-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey let me know if anyone hears anything good about that place. I am wanting to get mine done & wondering what they charged.

iyaoyas
02-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I just talk to the sales rep. I was told they don't do that wheel on the exchange program. No matter what the net add says. :eek2:

Pulse Red GTO
02-07-2005, 01:50 PM
I just talk to the sales rep. I was told they don't do that wheel on the exchange program. No matter what the net add says. :eek2:

That stinks!!! What did they quote you to have the rim's chromed?

iyaoyas
02-07-2005, 03:20 PM
135.00 ea. and you pay the shipping both ways. Really not to bad.

Pulse Red GTO
02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Yea that's not too bad at all! Might have to call them up!

gordo24fan
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
They did that with the stock rims or a set of aftermarket rims ? If I could get it done quick I'd be all over it. Did you have to set it up ahead of time so that they could get the rims in your area?

blue/black GTO
02-08-2005, 04:27 AM
I just orderd chrome wheels
from Discount Tire Company.

$704 complete. Includes tax, shipping, mountiing, balancing,
new valve stems and new lug nuts. They keep my old wheels and ship them to
their Las Vegas wharehouse. It is definately an exchange program,
but painless, just drive in have some popcorn and drive out.

We need to know more about this. Can you give us a phone # and who you were dealing with at Discount. I just get the "deer in the headlight stare" if I ask the people that work at the Discount near me.
You can PM me if you want.

Thanks for your time.

doc212121
02-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Guys, if you want to get this done, we are doing this now, for a introductory price you wont believe. Contact me for info, I am a sponsor but my banner is not up yet due to the site being built.

A bonus is a 2 year defect free warranty, and an excellent chrome wheel, at a sweet price just for you guys here, limited spots available.

Contact me at autodesign21@aol.com, or pm me here.

Thanks
Andy

Pulse Red GTO
02-08-2005, 07:07 AM
PM'd ya! Also yea if you had more info on the Discount tire ones also, that is where I always took the WS6 for all my tire work. That would be pretty cool!

kpanza
02-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I called that California Chrome Wheel place and appears that I was told different information? (That is if the poster above was referring to them when he quoted the $135/wheel price?) Talked to John there, and he said that YES, they do have the GTO wheels in the exchange program, and that it is a "hot" part number. Must be, since he quoted me $175/wheel! That is high compared to other places I have checked...he said that he would mount/balance my tires on them (I am local in So Cal) for that price, but it wouldn't include new lug nuts or center cap...

So, to the poster who was quoted $135 per wheel, was that from this Cal Chrome place? If so, I am going to find out why I was quoted a much higher price...it would be a good deal for $135, not so much at $175...

He is supposed to call me back on specific availability of the GTO wheels, make sure he has them in stock...I'll let you know what he says.

iyaoyas
02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
I called and was told 135.00 to chrome my wheels. I asked about the exchange program and I told them I had went to their website and saw the
wheels there.
He responded that it was a mistake that they had none of those wheels in the program but he would chrome mine for 135.00 per wheel and i would have to pay shipping for both ways.Yes it was Cal Chrome.
I'm just as confused as you are. :eek2:

rcpepper
02-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Local dealer keeps these wheels in stock and will trade them for you wheels for $175 a wheel and will charge $35 for mounting and balancing. Had them on a Yellow 04 and it looked good. Then they send the trades to have them chromed so they always have them in stock.

doc212121
02-08-2005, 01:55 PM
My packages are $625 shipped to your door on exchange for a short time, email for details.

Thanks
Andy

01ws6m6conv
02-09-2005, 12:33 PM
So Andy,you`ll ship my wheels to me when they are done being chromed? I guess you got the drop ship deal worked out with your chromer.Cool.That drive to Bay City was a pain,but it will be worth it when I get those chrome wheels. Thanks,Mike.

doc212121
02-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Mike
yeah they will be dropped to your doorstep when they are done, make sure you take some good pics as I wont have gotten my own set back by then! :)
Thanks
Andy

01ws6m6conv
02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
SWEET!!! Thanks again Andy.