: Are tinting lights illegal in Arizona?

EvilGoat
12-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Whats the deal with tinting the lenses on your heads, tails, fogs, blinkers? Is it illegal? Is there a limit?

aquariussuperman
12-08-2007, 12:00 PM
No problems here yet. Once you go yellow, you'll never go back! Try looking up your local jurisdiction online. Google should tell you plenty.

http://sincitygoats.com/gallery/d/8919-2/DSC01332.JPG

More pics in signature VV

zachd
12-08-2007, 12:19 PM
i'll bet yes!!!

its illegal to have a tint cover over your license plate, and i'd imagine since a taillight is a safety feature, that any altering done to it would be illegal as well

EvilGoat
12-08-2007, 12:30 PM
i'll bet yes!!!

its illegal to have a tint cover over your license plate, and i'd imagine since a taillight is a safety feature, that any altering done to it would be illegal as well

I'm betting as well, but I'm also curious on how strictly it is enforced, as far as tinting windows go, from what I hear, cops are pretty lenient here in AZ.

thunder550
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm betting as well, but I'm also curious on how strictly it is enforced, as far as tinting windows go, from what I hear, cops are pretty lenient here in AZ.

1STV8 has tinted (smoked) tails, he may know the answer. s/c'd cav also has blue tinted headlights and fogs. As far as the window tint laws go, my buddy was pulled over and cited for 6% on the fronts, but I've had 6% on my truck for 3-4 years and never had a problem. Probably hit or miss.

aquariussuperman
12-08-2007, 12:53 PM
ok so this took all of 0.39 seconds.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/AZ/

EvilGoat
12-08-2007, 05:56 PM
ok so this took all of 0.39 seconds.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/AZ/

I don't see anything there regarding light lens tinting.

aquariussuperman
12-08-2007, 06:50 PM
* Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
* Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
* Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
* Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
* Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
* Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
* Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
* Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
* Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
* Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
* Driving with just parking lights on (24800 VC). Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
* Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC).
* Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).

I would imagine it's the same for other states than California. Basically the police will "tack-on" your headlights as an offense, but not pull you over specifically because you have windshield wiper lights. Hope that helps.

1STV8
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
yes tinting your head and tailight is illegal.. only to a certain point though. for the tails, you have to be able to see a red reflection/reflector. for the head lights you have to be able to see the head lights from 50ft or something like that.

i haven't had any issues with my tint and the police. my roommate is a scottsdale pd officer, his brother is phx. neither one of them have commented on my tail lights.

i'll ask my roommate tomorrow and let you know what he says.

for tint on your windows, most cops here in AZ wont bust your balls for it, bc of how hot it gets in the summer. there are some that do like to bust people for it. in AZ its more of a "discretionary law" aka up to the officer.

EvilGoat
12-09-2007, 12:16 AM
yes tinting your head and tailight is illegal.. only to a certain point though. for the tails, you have to be able to see a red reflection/reflector. for the head lights you have to be able to see the head lights from 50ft or something like that.

i haven't had any issues with my tint and the police. my roommate is a scottsdale pd officer, his brother is phx. neither one of them have commented on my tail lights.

i'll ask my roommate tomorrow and let you know what he says.

for tint on your windows, most cops here in AZ wont bust your balls for it, bc of how hot it gets in the summer. there are some that do like to bust people for it. in AZ its more of a "discretionary law" aka up to the officer.

So could I tint the heads if I were to get a brighter bulb to balance out most of the light loss?

Did someone say you have your tails tinted? How dark can you go before you reach a limit, and is there a way you can counter it if you wanted to go dark on them?

I imagine fogs don't matter since a good amount of cars don't even have fogs.

What about the blinkers?

zachd
12-09-2007, 03:21 AM
TR=not good with tinted tails

aquariussuperman
12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Good lord, is this guy serious? Why don't you tint your blinkers yellow, then get red bulbs, then you'll have orange. Then tint your windshield red, and just go ahead and black out your fogs. Who needs fogs anyway? wow, lol.:D

EvilGoat
12-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Good lord, is this guy serious? Why don't you tint your blinkers yellow, then get red bulbs, then you'll have orange. Then tint your windshield red, and just go ahead and black out your fogs. Who needs fogs anyway? wow, lol.:D

Why do you care? I never said anything about different colors. GTFO if you don't like it.

zachd
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Why do you care? I never said anything about different colors. GTFO if you don't like it.

p0wn3d :wall:

Lord Vador
12-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I've been pulled over once for my headlights being "too dark" when it was 1pm one day. And I also got pulled over for have a tinted plate cover during the day as well. By headlights arent even that dark...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/stageup/Raven-1.jpg?t=1197233482

aquariussuperman
12-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I win, you swore first. I don't like arguing with teenagers anyway. ;)

1STV8
12-09-2007, 01:28 PM
i did 50% on the fronts and 30% on the rear...

haven't had any problems at all. and they look great...

i didn't really notice much of a loss in light on the fronts...there is some loss, but not enough to where you will need to up grade if you do the same as i did.

i am planning on putting hid's in eventually so i will get more light from them, but i can see just fine the way they are.

fogs really don't matter how dark you go, but i would do the same % as the headlights and i wouldn't go darker than 50% on the fronts.

EvilGoat
12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I win, you swore first. I don't like arguing with teenagers anyway. ;)

Rofl, why don't you go pat yourself on the back somewhere else? Old man :oldfogey:

EvilGoat
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
i did 50% on the fronts and 30% on the rear...

haven't had any problems at all. and they look great...

i didn't really notice much of a loss in light on the fronts...there is some loss, but not enough to where you will need to up grade if you do the same as i did.

i am planning on putting hid's in eventually so i will get more light from them, but i can see just fine the way they are.

fogs really don't matter how dark you go, but i would do the same % as the headlights and i wouldn't go darker than 50% on the fronts.

I was also thinking of doing it similar to a member on here, by masking off the part of the lenses that the bulbs shine through, so theres no tint over the bulb itself. I don't know how good it will look if I go pretty dark though.

Rovalis
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I bought smoked tint covers for my tail lights and ruined them trying to put them on myself :O. But I have never heard of people getting in trouble for it unless it's ridiculous. I've seen several Monte Carlo's that are blacked out... black wheels, smoked headlights and tail lights, highly illegal tint.. cruising up and down the 60 before.

And wtf, Zach, TR not good with tinted taillights? You must be high as a kite, that's the best combo <3.

EvilGoat
12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
And wtf, Zach, TR not good with tinted taillights? You must be high as a kite, that's the best combo <3.

Agreed, next to YJ.

1STV8
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
ummm guess agian people...

best for blacked out is PBM FTMFW!!!!!

PC4STOP
12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Whats the deal with tinting the lenses on your heads, tails, fogs, blinkers? Is it illegal? Is there a limit?

Illegal in Arizona. To clarify, any tint is illegal in Arizona, day or night.

aquariussuperman
12-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Ok, I'll try to help one more time. Here's the website and after a few tries I found your answer for tinting the taillights. Feel free to do some research on your own, too!

28-925. Tail lamps

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28

1STV8
12-10-2007, 08:43 AM
already been answered man...

police have already answered the question...

done and over with...

just get the 50% for the front and 30% for the back if your going with healight armor(vendor on left)