: How long can you engine oil sit in the car before it should be changed?

smokehouse
04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not extremely knowledgeable on these things...I hate to admit it but it's true.

I had my last oil change in Sept of 2006...

Yup, Sept of 2006 with Mobil 1 full synthetic.

I just turned over 3K miles this month (since the change, 12,xxx on the clock total). I've been checking the oil on a regular basis and have had to add just over a Qt in the past few years but other than that, it's just now finally starting to darken.

I'm switching out to Royal Purple 5w30 with a Bosch filter tomorrow but I was wondering...like the title states, how long can this stuff last if it's not driven that much?

Was 1-1/2 years too long or does it really matter?

ba83
04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
WTF
I am no expert by any means but one and half years is too long

Spooky_pitboss
04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
like they always say, 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. Im a firm believe in changing it even quicker than that, but thats just me.

Mister Skizzels
04-25-2008, 07:27 PM
for my GTO when I store it in the winter, I change the oil in November and then change it out when I bring the car out in March/April.

Spooky_pitboss
04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
oil, no matter how much you pay for it, will gunk up from sitting in the pan. 1.5 years is ridiculous, that's horrible....

smokehouse
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
...no need to be rude about it...

1-the oil is in no way "gunked up"...it's fine...I check it often...no gunk, no sludge, no discoloration even...I'm still pulling 19mpg...my car runs like a top...

2-I can't ever recall seeing an expiration date on a bottle of oil...if this 3 months bullshit is true do companies dump their leftover stock every three months...this stuff is synthetic you know...

*checks bottle of RP*

Yep...no expiration date. This stuff doesn't gunk up in the bottle even after years, why would it gunk up sitting in an oil pan? I can s extreme lengths of time but not this...

TR GTO
04-25-2008, 07:49 PM
With synthetic with that few of miles, I would at least do it every 6 months, to me even a year would be pushing it. I just went 6 months on my last oil change, with about 4,500 miles on synthetic.

ba83
04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
there are two many variables
how hard you drive, which rpm you shift , 3000-5000 miles seem to be ideal for most people. Yes If you check the oil regularly and keep the car running once in a while then you might get away with it.

txgoatman
04-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Better safe than sorry. We change the oil in my wife's T/A every 6 months at the latest because it is low mileage and we use Mobile 1.

integrilin
04-25-2008, 11:37 PM
like they always say, 3,000 miles or 3 months

Who are "they?" The oil companies that sell you the oil? I remember there were some good threads a year or two ago about this with actual data, where someone had the oil analyzed...I don't feel like searching right now but I think the conclusion was that the oil is probably good for ~10k with a filter change every 5k. Personally, if I'm getting under the car to change the filter, the oil is getting changed. I change everything every 5-6K, which is long before the oil life monitor goes off.

I wouldn't worry about it too much smokehouse, but when you come to a site like this you have to expect a little flak when you tell everyone you haven't changed your oil for 1.5 yrs ;)

RrCoX22
04-26-2008, 12:59 AM
approximently around 6 months is where you would defintely want to start worrying about it

keypunch
04-26-2008, 02:15 AM
The manual says no longer than 1 year and thats what I do,using Mobile1.I just changed my oil with 859 miles on it in 11 months.The car was stored from Nov. until this months but was driven a few miles in Dec.

Aggie*86
04-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Change at least once a year reguardless of mileage, ideally before you store for the winter. Combustion byproducts can form acids that can actually eat, pit and score your bearings over time.

2K6 GTO
04-26-2008, 04:12 AM
The issue of oil sitting is that moisture is drawn into the engine and obviously the motor is not brought up to temp to burn it off....so what you end up with is lots of water in your lube...and the acids mentioned above are eating away at the add packs/base oil while your car sits there....For what it is worth....my worse UOA's were with Royal Purple....and if you look at BITOG you will quickly find many LSX motors had crap UOA's with Royal Purple and shearing issues. RP is great at marketing...but the oil falls well short of many off the shelf oils.
So what do you run in yours?

2Pontiacs1Cup
04-26-2008, 04:19 AM
most cars can go on oil longer than people think

3 month / 3,000 miles is old school

new cars even recommend every 5k no adays.

I've seen cars that have 15,000 miles and no problems, oil is nasty but car still runs

I wouldn't worry much, but I'd change it anyways

2K6 GTO
04-26-2008, 04:55 AM
Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 or Schaffers 10-30. These oils after numerous UOA's show much better wear and TBN retention. I've read a lot of good reports on the Pennzoil Platinum and I can get it locally. Why the 10-30 over the 5-30?

LS1
04-26-2008, 04:59 AM

1-the oil is in no way "gunked up"...it's fine...I check it often...no gunk, no sludge, no discoloration even...I'm still pulling 19mpg...my car runs like a top...

2-I can't ever recall seeing an expiration date on a bottle of oil...if this 3 months bullshit is true do companies dump their leftover stock every three months...this stuff is synthetic you know...

*checks bottle of RP*

Yep...no expiration date. This stuff doesn't gunk up in the bottle even after years, why would it gunk up sitting in an oil pan? I can s extreme lengths of time but not this...
i doubt you can see inside your oil pan. Just because there is no gunk on the dip stick dosnt mean a thing. Change your oil or you will be sorry. The leftover stock is in a plastic bottle not an engine....... use your head man......

mistermike
04-26-2008, 05:02 AM
I've read a lot of good reports on the Pennzoil Platinum and I can get it locally. Why the 10-30 over the 5-30?

Better shear stability without the viscosity stretchers.

MikeB
04-26-2008, 06:35 AM
I think about how long my car sat at dealerships before I bought it with 25 miles on it(March 06 build, bought it March 31 07). I'm almost certain that the same oil was always in the car for that year.

If I would have thought of it, I would have asked the dealership to change the oil before I drove it off the lot.

I changed it at 1000 and have changed it every 3000 to 3500 since. Most of the time it's been longer than 3 months, but sometimes shorter.

Someone said it's cheap insurance to change it often,and I agree.

I have 10,800 on the car now and I'm on my 4th oil and filter change.

Steel Chicken
04-26-2008, 06:53 AM
if the oil was clean when the car sat for a long time its fine. dirty oil sitting for a long time is no good though. the oil is not going to magically breakdown that fast unless its got alot of miles on it (read full of contaminants)

DABLACK1
04-26-2008, 06:59 AM

*checks bottle of RP*

well it different ball game when it the motor

smokehouse
04-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Well...

Just drained the oil pan and so far everything looks good...dark brown but still brown...I've ran one Qt of M1 through the engine just to let it clean things out a bit (waste but might as well)

This is the first time I've changed oil in a car in many, many years and so far, it hasn't been so bad (I sure wish I had a nicer garage though, talk about a size 10 foot in a size 6 shoe).

I'm going to change it more often...not too often but more than I have. Probably once every 6 months (Apr, Aug, Apr, Aug etc)...I'll probably have less than 1K on it each time but better safe than sorry...

RunninRedline
04-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Oil is good in a plastic sealed bottle for like ever. However inside an unsealed motor not very good. Dew tends to accumulate and put some water in your oil which is not a good lubricant. On a DD the dew gets burned off pretty easy. But cars that sit the water is bad for the oil pump and lubrication of cylinder walls. Change it every 6-8 months is my recommendation. As far as mileage goes cars can easily go 5k without any risk of viscosity break down with synthetic. The 3000 mile mark was back when dino-oil was all they used and it's stuck as a better market scheme. Acura, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche all in their owners manuals say either every 5,000 or 7,500 miles. The only reason I wouldn't recommend every 7,500 is because the oil filter needs to be changed to maintain efficieny but the oil itself is good for a 7,500+

smokehouse
04-26-2008, 08:41 AM
On a side note...I drive a company van to work each day and once went 20K without an oil change (I kept trying to arrange one but my boss told me to wait)...I travel a ton and managed to get it up that high in a year or so. My co-workers were joking with me from time to time asking me if my 250K+ engine had blown yet...

When I finally was able to get the change...it looked fine (I was shocked, I was expecting dust to shoot out when the plug was removed)...I asked the guy if he saw anything and he tole me it was a bit dirty but ok...!

RunninRedline
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
A couple years back when I was the manager at a local automotive repair shop. A woman came in with her 200SX that had 89,000 miles on it. She was complaining of it being very sluggish and loud. So I told her I'd have a tech look at it and we'd call her in a couple hours. Well my friend (the tech) looked at it. He ran a diagnostic on it no engine codes or anything. Looked at all the belts and pulley's everything turned out in tip top shape. So a bit stumped he wondered if a spark plug was dead or missing or something so he pulled a plug. It was completely black and gunked up. So we removed the valve cover. The cam shaft was ground down from where it was pushing on the rocker. Everything was coated in gunk. The car compression tested at 6-7 across the board. So I called the woman and asked her when the last time she changed her oil was. She replied "I bought it new I thought you only changed the oil when you were going to sell it, to increase the value. So I haven't done it yet." So her car went 89,000 miles with 0 oil changes as she had owned it since it had 6 miles on the car. I about broke down in tears from laughing so hard... Good thing phones have mute buttons. So moral of the story is cars can apparently go for quite some time before you have to buy a new engine.

ruski
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 or Schaffers 10-30. These oils after numerous UOA's show much better wear and TBN retention.

Hey SgtGeek, are any of these good for a Goat?

http://www.germanfilters.com/synthetic-oil-c-3967.html

GoatLovin
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
3k/3 mo is old school. Most modern synthetics can go 12k+ miles. That being said, EVERY synthetic says to change your oil at LEAST once a year. Change that crap ASAP.

I just purchased some Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 full synthetic and an M1-107 for my oil change in a couple weeks.

batmanGTO
04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
How about just leaving oil out of the engine while storing it?

Never stored a car but would it be possible to remove all of the fluids, oil, gas, power steering etc to have a car sit for and extended period of time... as in a few years?

Youngr51
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
I run mine til about 6k on 0w-30. Im not so sure i believe in the oil absorbing moisture like some have said. Last i checked oil is not hydroscopic. Thats why oil floats on top of water and never blends. put the 2 in a glass and shake it, they will separate.

TR GTO
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I run mine til about 6k on 0w-30. Im not so sure i believe in the oil absorbing moisture like some have said. Last i checked oil is not hydroscopic. Thats why oil floats on top of water and never blends. put the 2 in a glass and shake it, they will separate.

I take it you run German Castrol as well? I just switched over to the 0w30 Castrol and plan to run it 5k-6k intervals.

RunninRedline
04-26-2008, 11:16 PM

No oil is not hydroscopic however oil is thick enough that if the amount of water isn't enough to push on the oil i.e. the amount gathered from condensation. Then the oil wont float on top of the water. So yes if your car sits for too long especially out doors it can build up condensated water and be a poor lubricant for the engine. Also that water will cause rust inside the engine.

cyberuck
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Oil has sat inside the earth for millions of years with no problems. So, if you're not driving the vehicle, it should be ok for a couple hundred years at least.

It's oil, right?

RunninRedline
04-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Oil has sat inside the earth for millions of years with no problems. So, if you're not driving the vehicle, it should be ok for a couple hundred years at least.

It's oil, right?

Yeah because that's the exact same stuff we put in our cars... you simply get what weight oil you need by how far down you drill. The heavier stuff is further down you know.

batmanGTO
04-28-2008, 07:59 AM
How about just leaving oil out of the engine while storing it?

Never stored a car but would it be possible to remove all of the fluids, oil, gas, power steering etc to have a car sit for and extended period of time... as in a few years?

anyone going to answer my question by chance? :dunno:

KirkDob
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM

*checks bottle of RP*

Of course you expected everyone would disagree, right? Personally I would not change it. I'm sure it still looks and lubricates as new oil. I would be more concerned about running it up to full operating temp on a regular basis if possible.

Jared H
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
oil sitting is that moisture is drawn into the engine and obviously the motor is not brought up to temp to burn it off....so what you end up with is lots of water in your lube

This is the only relevant truth I've read in this thread ... I'd add that an engine just sitting and never run will develop condensation inside the motor that adds to the "water in the oil" problem beyond the cold start moisture created from combustion. This is why it needs to be changed if not run and used enough to "dirty" the oil. The oil will not spoil sitting in the motor otherwise. If your car is kept in a climate controlled environment, you have no worries. If not, change it once a year regardless of mileage.

Anyone going beyond 10k on synthetic is asking for increased engine wear and a shortened lifespan with reduced performance. I would not recommend 10k oci's for anyone doing any spirited driving.

IMHO ... of couse

Night
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I changed mine this morning. After reading the oil consumption letter in another thread I'm gonna refrain from engine braking my car to reduce my oil consumption after noticing half a qt was missing from my dipstick. I don't really do any "spirited" driving since I'm still feeling out my goat after a month and a half. I wanna keep my car away from the dealer as long as possible.

Floridaman
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
My father in law had a Cavalier with about 125k on the odomoter, yup, he bought it new. He was complaining that it was not a very good car. I asked him some questions including how often he changed the oil. Well, he said, not since it had about 10k on it! He did add oil once in a while though.

LT1
04-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Synthetic=every 5000 miles or 1 yr. Porsche now says 20,000 miles or one yr. My benz runs synthetic and the manual calls for 12000 mi or one yr.

dsclark
04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
On the VW TDI diesel motor, VW says every 10K miles and uoa confirms that this is adequate. This really is a testament to how well oil can perform. Unlike oil run in a gasser, oil in a diesel comes out pitch black, contaminated with soot, which in itself, is abrasive.

24UGTOinFL
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Two weeks ago I changed out the Amsoil that had been in the car for 14 months/17k miles. I may have added 1/2 qt. over that time frame. Before that it was Amsoil for 9 months/6k miles and the oil I drained looked better than some that I've changed at 3 months/3k miles (different cars/oil). It was then that I decided I'd go longer the next time. I think I'll be sticking with the once-a-year (or so) habit.

TR GTO
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Two weeks ago I changed out the Amsoil that had been in the car for 14 months/17k miles. I may have added 1/2 qt. over that time frame. Before that it was Amsoil for 9 months/6k miles and the oil I drained looked better than some that I've changed at 3 months/3k miles (different cars/oil). It was then that I decided I'd go longer the next time. I think I'll be sticking with the once-a-year (or so) habit.

Do you periodically change your filter or are you using one of the filters that say they are recommended for long oil change intervals?

bookemdano
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
it's not the oil thats going to hurt you....

it's the filter...... have you cut open a filter with 5000 miles on it and looked inside?

well i have, and that sucker looked nasty.

I'll stick with my 3000 mile oil and filter change intervals.....

REDGOTE
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
After reading the oil consumption letter in another thread I'm gonna refrain from engine braking my car to reduce my oil consumption after noticing half a qt was missing from my dipstick.

Are you talking about downshifting to slow down? That's no good for anything. Brake pads are way cheaper than a new engine.

Rob

24UGTOinFL
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Do you periodically change your filter or are you using one of the filters that say they are recommended for long oil change intervals?

Amsoil EAO32. Rated for 12 mo./25k miles.

SDRuby14
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I just pulled a motor I have out of storage that I rebuilt 30 years ago. (427 Ford). Let's just say that the oil in it came out of CANS! After getting it on the stand I pulled the oil drain plug and got a gusher of water then about 3 quarts of what could be called oil. It's a 12 quart deep sump pan. The tip of the drain plug had rust and I'll drop the pan here in a bit and see how bad off the oil pump pick-up is.... or anything else.

SO... yeah, don't wait 30 years to change your oil!!!

aicdan2000
07-23-2011, 11:31 AM
It's not the oil that you need to worry about. It's the filter. Filter technology is far behind oil.

It Burns When I Pee
07-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I just pulled a motor I have out of storage that I rebuilt 30 years ago. (427 Ford). Let's just say that the oil in it came out of CANS! After getting it on the stand I pulled the oil drain plug and got a gusher of water then about 3 quarts of what could be called oil. It's a 12 quart deep sump pan. The tip of the drain plug had rust and I'll drop the pan here in a bit and see how bad off the oil pump pick-up is.... or anything else.

SO... yeah, don't wait 30 years to change your oil!!!

Necrobump go NOOBL-NOOBL-NOOOBLES

mistermike
07-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Fox usually locks them after giving them a http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/SaW6lzRNhUI/AAAAAAAAVsk/uxW5_mdxx3Y/s400/RobertByrdSternLook.jpg

ddawson
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
PC response, please don't bump old threads.