: GMPP Cams - ASA or HOT

My Little GTO
11-06-2008, 06:08 AM
I've been conteplating buying a cam for a couple months now but I just can't seem to make a decision between these two.

Before I get replys of these two cams are junk, too small of lift, yada yada yada, let me explain. I'm getting headers shortly, and I would like to install a Cam at the same time so both mods can be tuned together, instead of making two trips to the dyno shop and tuner. I was originally just going to get headers, but I can get a GM employee discount and get the GMPP cams for dirt cheap. So it is either a GMPP cam or I'm probably never going to get a cam.

I've done some research on the two, the Hot cam seems to be a decent cam, flat curve, nothing to wild, but I'm thinking I want something just a bit bigger. So I started looking in the ASA.

The ASA duration is fine, the lift is fine for me, but the LSA scares me. That 110 LSA is going to give the cam a lot of overlap, and it definately is choppy.

Now, the corvette and F-body guys seem to love them, I did a search here and it seems everybody here hates both of them.

I know I'm leaving 10+ HP on the table by not going with an aftermarket cam, but one of these two is better than no cam at all.

The thing that attracts me to these cams is the lower lifts. I know ya'll like those high lift cams, but I'd rather have something that is a little nicer on the valvetrain. With both of these I can throw in LS6 springs and be done for life and not be changing out springs every 20,000 miles.

the specs

ASA
226/236 duration
.525 lift
110 LSA

Hot cam
218/228 duration
.525 lift
112 LSA

Here is what i'm looking to get out of my car. A fun daily driver with good low to midrange "usable" power on the street. I don't take it to the strip other than once a year. I don't want a strip car and I don't want a car that makes all its power at 5800+ RPMS. I'm never going to change the heads or bottom end. All I want to do is headers, exhaust, cam, CAI, and a tune and that's it for mods.

Now I've heard the hot cam makes good low to midrange power and the search button shows you guys agree with that. It seems you guys all like the hot cam, but you guys figure if you are doing a cam swap, you mines as well pick up that extra 10-20 HP with another cam. Correct? Now the ASA cam, the past threads about it seem to state it as a race cam and shouldn't be used for anything else. The old posts say it makes all its power up high to like 7200 rpms. Over at the corvette forums, they say it makes all its power down low and in the middle and holds a good flat curve to the top. Some people say the 110 LSA makes it a high RPM band cam, and others say the 110 LSA makes the torque and power come on sooner, right out of the hole.

I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews about the two, I'm constantly going back and forth on the two, and I'm wondering what you guys think. I'm worried the ASA is going to be too choppy, but i'm worried the hot cam is not going to be enough.

I would appreciate some intelligent responses, not ones like "these cams suck", "lift is not enough", "Go aftermarket" I would appreciate some good reasoning.

Thanks guys.

AkXb70
11-06-2008, 06:20 AM
From what I understand, the Hot cam is a good all around cam and would probably give you exactly what you want.

I looked at it myself for awhile, but I think I will be going with a Cartek M cam instead.

CyCoe
11-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Whadya mean changing springs every 20000 miles........???? If you get a good set of dual or 918 types that are good to over .600 lift you shouldn't need to change them, plus you will have peace of mind that your valvetrain is solid if you get new pushrods........I don't plan on having to change mine anytime soon

anyway, I wouldn't worry about the 110 LSA its driveable but it really depends on the lobe profile, that is why EDC baby cams do well with shorter duration, its all about the lobe profile. While I have never used either of these cams, I would go with the one that makes the most TQ down low on the dyno.......you will be much happier with it as a Daily driver.

Nate

My Little GTO
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Whadya mean changing springs every 20000 miles........???? If you get a good set of dual or 918 types that are good to over .600 lift you shouldn't need to change them, plus you will have peace of mind that your valvetrain is solid if you get new pushrods........I don't plan on having to change mine anytime soon

well that is just what I've heard from numerous LSx guys..Not sure if it holds any truth, but from research, that seems to be the trend. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I won't have to worry about it either way with only .525" lift.

I'm thinking the Hot cam will suite my needs, but I'm also thinking I want to see how much of a lope I can get away without going to much. I wish there were more people that had experience with the ASA. The couple vids I saw, and the few short write ups I read, it seems people like it. I haven't seen any dyno curves so its hard for me to make a decision.

If anybody has any solid input on that ASA cam, please chime in.

In the mean time, what is the rule of thumb for the different LSA? Does it mean a lower LSA will bring the powerband down low more or does it bring the powerband up high more?

Spieldawg
11-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a derivative of both those cams, I went and had a custom cam made, 226/235 550/550 lift on a 114 LSA, and I love it. Its got decent power through out the entire power band, picks up early and drives until about 5800.

You can get the same results with a mild cam as you can these monster cams, and if that is what you want then that is what you get.

My Little GTO
11-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Well your cam is very similar to the ASA profile mounted on a 114 LSA. Does it have pretty good daily driver manors? Do you think the ASA is too big?

dkrowner
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
i say the ASA cam,i've read alot of good things on it too

kcgoat04
11-06-2008, 06:52 PM
im very happy with my hot cam. great daily driver cam,pulls hard in the midrange,awsome sound!!!!! with slp headers,flowmaster catback,gm hot cam i made 377 rwhp,and 365 tq. also very easy on the valve train.

phantomgoat04
11-07-2008, 03:43 AM
the ASA has a annoying dip in the 3500-4000 rpm range. however it is a excellent cam and will pull easily to 6k+.

My Little GTO
11-07-2008, 04:50 PM
are you talking from personal experience?

In the mean time, what is the rule of thumb for the different LSA? Does it mean a lower LSA will bring the powerband down low more or does it bring the powerband up high more? I'm curious, does anybody know?

b4z
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
From what I'm hearing in your posts I feel that you would be happier with the HOT cam.
Wuth it's smoother idle qualities and lower intake/exhaust lift it sounds like it would fit your need for good low and mid range torque. plus you aren't doing heads which would help take advantage of the higher lift.

Spieldawg
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Well your cam is very similar to the ASA profile mounted on a 114 LSA. Does it have pretty good daily driver manors? Do you think the ASA is too big?

Yeah, I have about 14000 miles on it, and really haven't had any crazy bad surge or anything, its torquey, but its a nice torquey..

phantom04
11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
are you talking from personal experience?

I'm curious, does anybody know?

lower

Pontiac Addict
11-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Do more research. You'll find with MOST aftermarket cams the manufacturers will suggest changing springs abot every 15k miles and sometimes sooner.

I can't tell you how many sets of broken springs we've had here in the last 2 years.

camarossx1999
11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
i would love to see a ASA cam dyno graph too.

My Little GTO
11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm going to do some research over at the corvette forums, this cam seems to be pretty popular over there. I think I remember seeing a dyno graph, when I'll get some time I'll try and find it. But if anybody else has one, post it up, i'm real interested.

Does anybody have a ballpark judgement on the performance increases between the two? It seems people are getting 370ish RWHP with the hot cam and LT's, and the corvette LS1 guys are seeing 400ish RWHP with the ASA and LT's it seems. Does this sound about right?

gtore62
11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
i think the asa cam is much tougher to tune for driveability, i have the hot cam, it's been on my engine since i had 9k miles, i have almost 72k now. i would seriously consider a set of ported cnc heads. if you choose the asa you are gonna need more compression for sure so your low end torque won't suffer! seems like you want the most power you can get and not have to worry about springs and all. my choice for you would be the asa but with higher compression 11.0 11.5 and i think it can be done by shrinking the bowl and you would need slightly shorter pushrods with either cam. i use 7.350" manley push rods. at the track i run 120mph on street tires with 100wet shot.

CyCoe
11-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Do more research. You'll find with MOST aftermarket cams the manufacturers will suggest changing springs abot every 15k miles and sometimes sooner.

I can't tell you how many sets of broken springs we've had here in the last 2 years.

Were the brokent springs 918's???? I have frequented LS1tech for a bit longer than this site and actually value the research over there every bit as much, as the info from this site.......And most have commented that the dual Patriot type springs are very durable and will handle aggressive cams........ And.......Well from what he is saying its not going to be a drag car, and quite honestly, unless your using a really aggressive lobe (XER's??) and don't run the thing to redline on your shifts........I think he should be good for at least 50k..........but hey, maybe I need more research.....:quoties:

ericgl
11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
From my early research, the Hot Cam package might just be the ticket for my modest '04 A4 goals.

cetrov
11-08-2008, 10:01 PM
the price for the hot cam with gm emloyee discount is about $400.00
same price for the aftermarket cams.

if in Ca. emissions may be a reason to go with the gmpp cam.

CyCoe
11-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Thats a great point..........especially if you have emissions to pass.......I too would like to see an ASA dyno graph

CyCoe
11-09-2008, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMS8dh6oT4w&feature=related hotcam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1OhyPw9Sw ASA

Chrisco`
11-09-2008, 08:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1OhyPw9Sw ASA

^Greatest license plate ever.

BlueGoat06
11-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Changing springs that soon depends on cam lobes, cam size and driving habits.

I have a medium size 228 cam with very aggresive ramp rates (XER Lobes), with a mild .588 lift. and i've been using a set of PRC dual springs for almost 40k miles. i don't track the car very often, but i've been doing my own tune for the past 6 months, and i'm talking about 6900rpm shifts every day for the past 4 months, on top of that, i drive 130-140 miles daily, so this car is not a weeked toy or a drag queen.

When i talked to the people at Texas Speed where i bought the cam and hardware, they said they've seen people get to 50k with the same cam and springs, again, you have to be really carefull with your springs, always let the engine warm up to operating temp before beating on it, do not rev the engine while is cold,etc,etc.

The only way to really know when your valve springs are due is to take one or two and measure their pressure to see if they deviated from stock specs. i don't have time for this, so i change them every year. and my year is mostly 30-40k miles.

BlueGoat06
11-09-2008, 09:50 AM
The Hot cam will a breeze to tune, the ASA would be a little more difficult, if i had the same needs as the OP, i'll do the ASA in a LS2 and Hot cam in a LS1. given the OP goals, you can beat any of them, especially the price, and the fact that both can use LS6 springs, in this particular case, set it and forget it.

My Little GTO
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
The ASA sounds pretty choppy. I'm starting to think, the asa would be great for 1 night out of the week when I'm out cruising, but I'm worried it might be too much for day to day driving. I'm thinking the hot cam is my ticket. Do you guys agree the asa might be a bit too much for day to day driving or is it tolerable?

Spieldawg
11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I believe you'd be happy either way. :)

kcgoat04
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
go with the hot cam. you won't have any regrets:)

camarossx1999
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
the asa cam sounds sick. i want to see a dyno graph still...

Amy
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
The ASA is the much better choice between the two

LolliPop
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
The ASA sounds pretty choppy. I'm starting to think, the asa would be great for 1 night out of the week when I'm out cruising, but I'm worried it might be too much for day to day driving. I'm thinking the hot cam is my ticket. Do you guys agree the asa might be a bit too much for day to day driving or is it tolerable?

Either cam would be a great driver. You can go "larger" with an aftermarket cam and they're also great drivers. I don't know what all the crap is about "too much for a daily driver", unless you don't like the sound. An engine with a good tune should idle "smooth" (ie: not rock the car) and can still have quite a lope to it. Of these 2, I'd go ASA - it's not like it's a really big street cam, but I'm thinking you personally might be happier with the HOT. Don't worry - be happy!

My Little GTO
11-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the lumpy sound a healthy cam produces, and I want that sound in my car as well. It just seems there are some horror stories going around about the idle quality of the cam. If it idles fine, and doesn't cough, sputter, and stall at a red light, it passes my test. I think the thing that scares me the most is seeing these vids that show the immediate aftershot of installing the cam without a tune or anything and I think if I take that into consideration, it should be a night and day difference after I get a tune.

Anybody have a guess of how much more power the ASA makes over the hot cam? Just curious

69lt1bird
11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Go to the GMPP website and look at the two LS3 crate engines that use them. Hot Cam EFI engine has 480 fwhp, carbed ASA cam has 515 fwhp

CyCoe
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
the real question is where the ASA cam makes the power........still waiting on a dyno graph

Amy
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
it makes power everywhere, there are a shit ton of dyno graphs on ls1tech.com That cam is very popular over there for people daily driving their cars.

GreenbeanZ28
11-14-2008, 08:55 AM
the real question is where the ASA cam makes the power........still waiting on a dyno graph

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/a/111078d1196221160-asa-cam-s-updated-newdyno.jpg

Quicksilver123104
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
ASA's bark is worse than its bite IMO.

out of the two I would go HOT cam.

Or call a supporting vendor (like Texas Speed) for a custom cam, springs, pushrods, and etc.

CyCoe
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Or get Ed to grind you one........i don't think you would regret it