: Body shop told me I may have to replace the front bumper

Gear_artist
05-25-2009, 06:38 PM
The paint is starting to peel on my front bumper because of crappy prep work. I took it to this one body shop and he said I may have to replace the bumper since it wasn't prepped right the first time and that all of the paint would have to be removed in order to get it exactly right. I don't know how true this is but I deffinatly don't want to to replace a bumper that doesn't need to be replaced.

75TransAm
05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
The paint is starting to peel on my front bumper because of crappy prep work. I took it to this one body shop and he said I may have to replace the bumper since it wasn't prepped right the first time and that all of the paint would have to be removed in order to get it exactly right. I don't know how true this is but I deffinatly don't want to to replace a bumper that doesn't need to be replaced.

The body shop should not have to replace the bumper at all! All they have to do is strip off the old paint and prep it correctly themselves.

I would personally go to another shop that is not afraid to take responsibility for their work. I would just make sure that whoever repaints your bumper make sure they add some flex agent to the paint. This will ensure the paint has some flexibility to prevent it from cracking. Good luck!

04GTODKH
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds like B.S. to me. Go to another body shop and see what they say. Why was your bumper re-painted the first time? I don't know that much about paint and body repair but the only way I think you would have a bumper cover replaced would be the clips are broke or damage to bumper itself like cracks etc. Not the paint. But I could be all wrong about this.

Gear_artist
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanx for the info guys well it was in a minor accident that required for the bumper to be replaced. I've taken it back to the guy that painted it twice and each time when I got to look at it the paint is starting to crack or peel. The clip is broke on the drivers side witched pissed me off because it was a new bumper so I figured I would pay for it myself to get it right elsewhere. Oh and the reason he said the bumper may need to be replaced is because of the chemicals they have to used to strip the paint may damage the bumper I thought it was bs myself just figured I would ask on here.

75TransAm
05-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Well if he repainted it twice, Didn't he do the prepwork? Sorry but I would definitely get another opinion.

Gear_artist
05-25-2009, 07:20 PM
No I didn't go back to the guy that painted it originally the 2nd time was enough for me.

75TransAm
05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Ahhhh! Got it. I would still go to another shop and get a quote. If I owned a shop, I would recommend stripping the bumper completely and starting fresh. That would be the only way I would warranty the work.

BackRoadGTO
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh and the reason he said the bumper may need to be replaced is because of the chemicals they have to used to strip the paint may damage the bumper I thought it was bs myself just figured I would ask on here.

I've had a local shop tell me the same thing. They said it's pretty difficult to make sure all the stripper is off and they'd rather start with a new bumper b/c they are a lot more confident in their work. Two other shops, though, didn't have any problem with stripping and repainting.

cncmasterofor
05-28-2009, 12:17 PM
If the body shop broke the clip on a new bumper. Wouldn't they be the ones replacing it? Not you.

JRL1194
05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
You can't repaint a bumper more than once (after the original paint job), it will just start to flake as his is doing.

Also, you also cannot "strip" plastic, you just have to DR (sand) it down the best you can but this is a problem with all plastic bumpers, after the original paint, the next paint job after doesn't stick well!

"WHICH" broke not WITCH

GOATMAN06
05-28-2009, 04:17 PM
ive been told the same thing. to replace the bumper,by the first body shop i went to, all the others i went to for a quote had no issues using the bumper on the car. i finally found a good shop and it goes in for paint on the 8th..

Siver Bullet
05-28-2009, 05:16 PM
My rear bumper wasn't prepped right, took it back to the body shop they said no problem striped it and repainted looks great no more peeling.

CGCBandit
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
The bumper will just need to be stripped(soda blasting works great for this and doesn't hurt the plastic). Apply the proper adhesion promotor then primer with flex additive. Sand the primer smooth and paint as normal. More than likely they original shop didn't use the correct adhesion promotor. The GTO bumpers are raw plastic, unlike most normal GM bumpers. If the job u had done was through your insurance, contact them. If not, just ask around your local shops, someone has to be willing to do it. If you were closer I'd say bring it up here.