: Can GM cut me a new Door key with just my VIN #

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-06-2009, 06:29 PM
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED

Long story short, Doors are locked, windows are up. Battery is disconnected. Hood is shut. I don't have the Key to my door.

Can GM look up my VIN # and cut me a new door key?

If so, how long will it take them to cut one? Not long I hope

and how much $$$

Dallen3_312
07-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes they can get you a key with only the VIN, only problem is that a GTO key is most likely a special order item.. Dont think they actually cut the key think they have to order it.. I went throught this when I lost one of my keys.

smokeybrown
07-06-2009, 06:59 PM
took me 1 bus. day to get a new one

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
how much did it cost you guys

RitcheyRch
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
The dealer will also want to see a copy of the vehicle registration with your name on it. They wont make the key to just the VIN without other proof that it is your car.

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
The dealer will also want to see a copy of the vehicle registration with your name on it. They wont make the key to just the VIN without other proof that it is your car.

ummm i can't get in the car. The ignition key doesnt open the door correct? its a seperate key right?

Underoath
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Use this key...It is cheaper.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/hodgkins/rock3.jpg

RitcheyRch
07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
The ignition key should open the drivers door. The ignition key will NOT work on the glove box. The glove box is the only part of the car that requires a separate key.

ummm i can't get in the car. The ignition key doesnt open the door correct? its a seperate key right?

bondosgto
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
The ignition key should open the drivers door. The ignition key will NOT work on the glove box. The glove box is the only part of the car that requires a separate key.

why is that?

mintyfresh
07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
There is no separate door key. The big key works on the door and the ignition. The other little key is for the glove box.

Artoo
07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
if your slow and methodical you can jim the car open, the linkage is directly in line with the up and down latch... i would use a "dual slide tool, and put it in at a shallow angle in line with the lock, than bind it and pull up.

i've been doing lockouts for three years... so im not just guessing.

05gto60
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
why is that?

this is just a guess, but incase you valet the car you can lock the glove box and leave the valet the key to the car and know they cant get into the glove box. although id be more worried about their driving than the nothing thats in my glove box.

also, other cars (like toyota) have a 3rd key you get with the car that will start it, but not open the trunk of glove box. it was called a valet key.

Lorider680
07-07-2009, 12:58 AM
this is just a guess, but incase you valet the car you can lock the glove box and leave the valet the key to the car and know they cant get into the glove box. although id be more worried about their driving than the nothing thats in my glove box.

also, other cars (like toyota) have a 3rd key you get with the car that will start it, but not open the trunk of glove box. it was called a valet key.

You are correct.
F

scryfst
07-07-2009, 06:08 AM
It cost me $159.00 and took four weeks to get a replacement key from my local dealer. You would be much better off paying a company to jimmy the locks (if you have AAA its free or know anyone with AAA that is willing to make a call). Or even do it yourself :) it is not that hard (they will use a small inflatable bag to spead the window away ffrom the frame and then use a long hangar like tool to pull up on the door actuator button. Not the handle used to open the door (this will not work) also reaching in with a hangar and pushing the unlock button on the console will not work either, you must pull the acutautor in the door UP)

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-07-2009, 06:24 AM
It cost me $159.00 and took four weeks to get a replacement key from my local dealer. You would be much better off paying a company to jimmy the locks (if you have AAA its free or know anyone with AAA that is willing to make a call). Or even do it yourself :) it is not that hard (they will use a small inflatable bag to spead the window away ffrom the frame and then use a long hangar like tool to pull up on the door actuator button.

yeah... i had a huge brain fart and tried my ignition key in the door and because it was almost pitch black out, i couldnt get the key in properly which made me think there was a seperate door key. Last night Looking through a bunch of threads I realized the ignition key actually opens the door so I was able to get in my car :)

and on a side note, both my door panels are off so it would have been pretty tricky getting some sort of tool to pull up on the ribbed poll that the "door actuator button" sits on.

Not the handle used to open the door (this will not work) also reaching in with a hangar and pushing the unlock button on the console will not work either, you must pull the acutautor in the door UP)

well my battery is disconnected. But I do know what you are trying to say. The locking system in our cars works in the way that even if my windows were rolled down, and battery connected, the doors wont unlock by pushing the button in the center console... if I had an 06 that is...as my 05 didnt come with this button

Underoath
07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Chalk up another tally on the "has half a brain" side.

simpleGTO
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
One question, how did you lock the doors?

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
One question, how did you lock the doors?

with the button on the key fob. then i disconnected my battery, and shut my hood

CoolAid
07-10-2009, 06:32 AM
This is a good reason to have something covering your VIN tag just incase a person or "freind" of a person at the dealer or GM decides to skip the registration process and just cut and send the key. Manipulation has done wonders over the years. Cover your VINs and protect your cars people.

Unexpected_Company
07-10-2009, 06:50 AM
The alarm gets obnoxious when you use the key manually...

Underoath
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
This is a good reason to have something covering your VIN tag just incase a person or "freind" of a person at the dealer or GM decides to skip the registration process and just cut and send the key. Manipulation has done wonders over the years. Cover your VINs and protect your cars people.

Look up your local laws. You cannot cover the VIN in Illinois and may find your car gone if you do.

I H8 5_0 Stangs
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Look up your local laws. You cannot cover the VIN in Illinois and may find your car gone if you do.

Yeah i agree. If you really want to sit around and think about this, it is a sticky situation. Anyone could attempt to steal anyones car this way. I like the idea of blocking your VIN from view, but why would it be illegal? I see why destroying the VIN # plate would be, but covering it so people cant do what was mentioned above shouldnt be...

Underoath
07-10-2009, 02:05 PM
It is the best way to identify a vehicle. License plates are removable/interchangeable. VINs are not (for the most part).

Guy in the neighborhood had truck parked on the street with for sale signs in the windows (illegal). He had removed both of his plates (illegal) and thought he'd be cute by covering up his VIN (illegal) too so he couldn't get a ticket. His door was locked so I couldn't uncover the VIN, so I did the next best thing. Confidential VIN check = Tow. Like I said, check with your local laws/ordinances before you attempt this.