: Fresh Paint and Rain

CV8 Mate
11-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Well, Long story short. My sister dented my fender, so I had the fender replaced and got the whole front clip stripped and repainted to ensure color match and get rid of some rock chips. The car comes out of paint today, but there is a chance of rain. If the road is wet or it looks like it's going to rain should I hold off on picking up the car?

CV8 Mate
11-25-2009, 04:47 AM
I just called the body shop and they insured me that the car would be okay to drive in the rain. Due to the fact that they double baked the paint, then waxed it. But it would be nice to get a second opinion from some paint people out there, in case they are just telling me that to get the car off their lot.

700Rocket
11-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Since it has been ok'd by the body shop I would say you are good. New cars are moved outside at the assembly plants within a day of being painted.

Nick!
11-25-2009, 05:38 AM
I just called the body shop and they insured me that the car would be okay to drive in the rain. Due to the fact that they double baked the paint, then waxed it. But it would be nice to get a second opinion from some paint people out there, in case they are just telling me that to get the car off their lot.

Wax right after paint? I thought that was a big no-no

doc7_MD7
11-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Wax right after paint? I thought that was a big no-no

Yes it is.

Duckman
11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
The car was buffed not waxed.

CV8 Mate
11-25-2009, 06:21 AM
They actually specified it was buffed, then waxed. I asked them why they waxed it and they replied that it was safe to if you double bake the paint.

Hockeyman
11-25-2009, 07:10 AM
They actually specified it was buffed, then waxed. I asked them why they waxed it and they replied that it was safe to if you double bake the paint.

I've heard many of different opinions over the years, but the majority of people say to wait at least 30 days because the clearcoat has to completely evaporate all of the solvents that it contains. If you wax immediately after painting, then you trap all of the solvents in the clearcoat and it has a greater chance of fading, chipping or peeling over time.

I know a guy who's been in the autobody business for over 30 years, and he swears that you can wax the paint after baking OR letting the car sit out in the hot summer sun for 2 days. Although I believe him, I still like to wait at least 30 days. It makes me feel better.

To the original question though; Rain, no...it won't bother it.

Do you have a warranty on the paintjob?

PFitzsnuggly
11-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I was told wait 90 days after painting to wax. Fresh paint has to breathe and wax seals it.

purplenurple
11-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Although the damage may already be done, I'd go an strip the wax asap. It prevents the paint from curing properly and thus will be soft as butter

CV8 Mate
11-25-2009, 08:01 AM
I've heard many of different opinions over the years, but the majority of people say to wait at least 30 days because the clearcoat has to completely evaporate all of the solvents that it contains. If you wax immediately after painting, then you trap all of the solvents in the clearcoat and it has a greater chance of fading, chipping or peeling over time.

I know a guy who's been in the autobody business for over 30 years, and he swears that you can wax the paint after baking OR letting the car sit out in the hot summer sun for 2 days. Although I believe him, I still like to wait at least 30 days. It makes me feel better.

To the original question though; Rain, no...it won't bother it.

Do you have a warranty on the paintjob?

My main concerned isn't from the rain it itself but the dirt from a wet road being flung up on the fresh clear coat. If rinse it when i get home "no soap" do you think that would be good enough.

When I get to the shop I'm going to get to the bottom of the "wax" the guy said was put on. Maybe the shop manager is confusing it with buffing compound.

ROKS ROKET
11-25-2009, 08:21 AM
If it was doubled baked then I think it's ok to buff it out, but waxing it, hmmmmm, I'm not an expert, but was told by my body guy when I got my hood painted to wait for at least 30 days. Plus this was in the summer where the sun would bake it more. The sealant needs to cure before you wax it. I waited 60 days because my car is garaged. I did leave it out in the sun during the day. I never had any problems with the paint since then. That was in 2004, so no complaints. Picking it up while it's raining is ok, but if you can wait for a nice day it would be better. You won't have to wipe it down after you wash it preventing any scratching. I would get a signed waiver from the body shop warranting their work........ JMO

ROK

Hockeyman
11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
My main concerned isn't from the rain it itself but the dirt from a wet road being flung up on the fresh clear coat. If rinse it when i get home "no soap" do you think that would be good enough.

When I get to the shop I'm going to get to the bottom of the "wax" the guy said was put on. Maybe the shop manager is confusing it with buffing compound.

Everyday road dirt shouldn't hurt it at all. Washing it with a non-waxing car soap, then drying it afterwards will be fine.

If it were winter time and there was salt all over the roads, then I'd suggest leaving the car sit at the shop or in a non-driving status for a little longer.

For bird poop; I lay a soaking-wet napkin over the poop to soften it, then rinse it away with water about 5 minutes later. Do NOT scrub or rub into it!

byoficr
11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
if they baked the paint then buffed then waxed you should be fine but i would just wait to save yourself a headache of cleaning it.

maniacjp13
11-25-2009, 10:57 AM

If they did indeed double bake the clear there is no problem with buffing and waxing. You should be fine in the rain as well. Just don't ride behind any dump trucks.

The 30-90 days you wait to wax are for instances when they don't bake the clear. This allows the environment to naturally cure the clear and give you a better shine. Most expensive show quality paint jobs are done like that (not all so don't flame me for that comment). Any body shop that does a lot of work will single or double bake to get cars in and out. Remember time is money. Single or double bake all depends on what paint they use, how many coats, how they mixed the paint and the clear, etc.

My buddy is a chemical engineer for Dupont so I trust his judgment pretty well. Just my 0.02