: Very slow to fill gas tank, need help please

hellmonkey
11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I tried searching and the only thing i found was that sometimes the rubber part of the fill hose will kink. I took off the sleeve and checked both the fill hose and the breather hose and neither were kinked. Is there some kind of valve in the tank or something? I filled up today and it the fastest i could go was about 1 gallon per minute.

Im quite pissed and out of ideas. Any help would make me not climb a clock tower with a .50 cal. Thanks.

BRAZEN06GTO
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I find that some station nozzles tend to just flow slower than others.

I don't think you have a problem.

04BBM6
11-30-2009, 05:19 PM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, took me about 20 minutes to put 3 gallons in. And for the nay-sayers, I tired 3 separate stations, all with the same outcome.

Everytime the nozzle will trip, and you literally had to dribble the fuel in. At the time I had a P0466 code, a week or so later and a dealership trip, the issue resolved itself. But now I have a P0455 code, and am able to fill up without any issues (no need for low flow).

I read up on it, and it sounded like a valve in the EVAP system was stuck closed, creating the backpressure of a full tank to the filler nozzle. My understanding was that it was a bad valve, and it would need to be replaced, which invloved removing the rear quarter.

Mine is in the shop at the moment for P0455, and some suspension issues, so I'll hopefully keep this posted with my results.

hellmonkey
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I know its not the filler nozzles. Ive been to multiple gas stations and had the same problem at all of them. I do have a code for large evap leak, but i forgot the number. Ive had it for about 6 months and it usually comes and goes, however, its been on steady for the last few weeks.

I really hope i dont have to go through having the quarter taken off. that seems highly excessive. Of course all this would happen 1000 miles outside of warranty.

Divus
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Never had this problem with the GTO so far but my last two Grand Prix have the same issue going on 8 years. After the these years I've yet to figure out for sure what it is. Can't find a problem with the car although I still suspect something has to be wrong.

Its never consistant but I find certain stations give me more problems than others. Then again I can go back there a week later to the same pump and it will be fine. On the other hand I've found certain stations it never happens at where as at BP it happens 20-30% of the time. The kicker is I can go to the next station after the problem and there still times were it will or won't flow slow which makes no sense.

It does become more than annoying when its below 0F.

Trekk
11-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Some pumps give me problems with tripping off. Most times I fix it if, I turn the gun upside down, or pull it out really far so just the tip is in.

hellmonkey
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Its deffinately not the filling nozzle. Ive tried multiple places and turning the filler on its side/up side down. The fuel is backing up inside the filler hose and trickeling into the tank. Its like the hose is clogged or something. I can pump about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon at full speed, but then it trips and i either have to dribble it out, or let it settle and repeat.

IBM04GTOinNA
11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
It's probably the solenoid valve. I'll try and find the thread.

Here's the thread. Solenoid valve worked for me.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260301&highlight=evap+problem

TheNew(ish)Goat
11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180630&highlight=fuel+gas+fill+tube&page=2

Check posts 44 and 57 for the best info. I am having the same problem, including the gross evap leak cel, and I am pretty sure this is the solution.

8ball
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Try different angles? I know we get a bunch of cars where if the angle is off, the nozzle will constantly click off.

hellmonkey
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Awesome info. Do you guys know if that solenoid is in the same place on an 06?

ddawson
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I find at certain stations have to to break the vacuum seal to fill it up.

We have those zero fume, return systems here. They suck as you pump.
It causes the pump to think the tank is full.

s/c'd cav
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
thought only 04's were prone to this issue ?

ive actually got a 06 tank to put in my 04 , and my stock tank was modified for a external pump too

my 04 when empty fills fast up to about 1/2 tank , then slows way up from there

2theFloor
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I had this problem with my mom's grand am. It turned out the vent hose was kinked.

Robbins10
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
take it to the factory, some times they will help you out even if you are slightly over the warranty, they did for me

RobertHammen
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Yep, take it to the dealer, preferably the one you bought the car from (if they're still in business). Ask them to goodwill warranty it - at just over 1k over the 3/36, they should...

Billybad05
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
that slow filling stuff would drive me insane

hellmonkey
12-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Well, it started over the summer and i asked them to look at it for me, they told me no. Kind of makes me angry, i did go there for both of my cars when ever it needed work done i couldnt do at home. Im now 12k over, so I have to fix this on my own.

Steel Chicken
12-01-2009, 05:18 AM
I know its not the filler nozzles. Ive been to multiple gas stations and had the same problem at all of them. I do have a code for large evap leak, but i forgot the number. Ive had it for about 6 months and it usually comes and goes, however, its been on steady for the last few weeks.

I really hope i dont have to go through having the quarter taken off. that seems highly excessive. Of course all this would happen 1000 miles outside of warranty.

So youve known you car has had a problem for 6 months which you've chosen to ignore, but now your going on a shooting spree because of your frustration?

Seriously? Fix the evap problem and dont ignore error codes for 6 months in the future.

heres your problem:

:)

SJFGTO
12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
I think the gas you are using is too thick, try thinner gas at another station.

Chilly Palmer
12-01-2009, 06:27 AM
I think the gas you are using is too thick, try thinner gas at another station.

Yeah, I always use Unleaded Lite - thinner and half the carbs of Unleaded Original. Some German cars are engineered to run Gasness Stout, but if you try that with your Pontiac you'll get a massive error code: P0-id10T (hangover). And your "emissions" will go through the roof from it being carbonated. ;)

SJFGTO
12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I always use Unleaded Lite - thinner and half the carbs of Unleaded Original. Some German cars are engineered to run Gasness Stout, but if you try that with your Pontiac you'll get a massive error code: P0-id10T (hangover). And your "emissions" will go through the roof from it being carbonated. ;)"Gasness Stout" - LMAO!:)

jake279
12-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Mine isn't as bad as yours but ever since i bought it it will click off if the nozzle isn't in just right. Then when it gets full its hell trying to get that last 50 cents in.

hellmonkey
12-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I called my mehcanic friend and he said he thinks its the vent valve and he can hook it up to the tech2 for me. As far as the CEL light, it was for a large evap leak, at least back then and everything I read was either for a crack in the canister or a valve stuck open. Up until a few weeks ago, I have had no issues with performance, gas milage, or anything, not even filling up. And as I said the light would come on and go off by itsself.

And since the dealer told me to bugger off, I wasnt going to throw money at it until something actually broke, which is now. The only reason im aggrivated is because this shit happens as soon as it gets balls ass cold outside. If it was warmer, it wouldnt be too big of a deal.

04BBM6
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
So youve known you car has had a problem for 6 months which you've chosen to ignore, but now your going on a shooting spree because of your frustration?

Seriously? Fix the evap problem and dont ignore error codes for 6 months in the future.

heres your problem:

:)

Unfortunately outside of your perfect world there is this issue (among others). Which if you've happened to read any of the previous posts, you'll notice the trend that this issue comes and goes (as multiple people have experienced).

Kind of hard to diagnose, or fix an issue that isn't repeatable.

To the rest that care, my car is supposed to be completed at the dealer tomorrow. If the dealer made any progress I'll report back as to what they did.

5.7L FOREVER
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
lots of good info in this thread i like it... mine had this same issue for awhile also but it did seem to be certain gas stations that it didnt like though...

stickers
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
It's probably the solenoid valve. I'll try and find the thread.

Here's the thread. Solenoid valve worked for me.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260301&highlight=evap+problem

+1 on the solenoid valve. Changed it out on a friends GTO, fixed it. Takes less than 30 min to do.

05 yellowjacket
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Mine was filling slow and kept tripping. Took it back to the dealer and the replaced the whole filler tube and it took care of the problem. 12 months bumper 2 bumper gotta love it!

04BBM6
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
To the rest that care, my car is supposed to be completed at the dealer tomorrow. If the dealer made any progress I'll report back as to what they did.

Got my car today. The dealer did replace the EVAP vent valve. The techs comments say it was a clogged valve.

Turns out the result of P0466 was because the technician was intelligent enough to disconnect the valve. I initially took it in for P0455, and slow filling (tripping the pump continuously), he found the clogged valve, then disconnected so I could put fuel in it. Which the disconnected valve lead to P0466.

The dealer charged $35 back to GMPP, so the part is not too expensive.

I've not filled the car up yet, so we'll see if this resolved it.

hellmonkey
12-04-2009, 05:10 AM
Got my car today. The dealer did replace the EVAP vent valve. The techs comments say it was a clogged valve.

Turns out the result of P0466 was because the technician was intelligent enough to disconnect the valve. I initially took it in for P0455, and slow filling (tripping the pump continuously), he found the clogged valve, then disconnected so I could put fuel in it. Which the disconnected valve lead to P0466.

The dealer charged $35 back to GMPP, so the part is not too expensive.

I've not filled the car up yet, so we'll see if this resolved it.

Great to hear. Do you by chance know which hose I need to yank so I can fill the tank until I get the part?

04BBM6
12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Great to hear. Do you by chance know which hose I need to yank so I can fill the tank until I get the part?

Not off hand, but I can certainly call on Monday and ask.

whaler01
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I tried searching and the only thing i found was that sometimes the rubber part of the fill hose will kink. I took off the sleeve and checked both the fill hose and the breather hose and neither were kinked. Is there some kind of valve in the tank or something? I filled up today and it the fastest i could go was about 1 gallon per minute.

Im quite pissed and out of ideas. Any help would make me not climb a clock tower with a .50 cal. Thanks.

This is a post I made in the other "car won't take gas" thread.

Without reading 3 pages to check for the correct answer, I'll post what fixed mine. I had a 2001 Camaro SS that had this problem also. In order to get gas in it, I had to unscrew the schrader valve under the green cap on the fuel line going to the fuel rails. It would bleed off the pressure and viola, gas would go in. I eventually had a shop replace the Purge Valve Solenoid on the drivers side fuel rail and this cured the problem. Try bleeding off that schrader valve if you need to until you can get the Solenoid replaced.