: Anyone with a GIANT cam in their LS1?

Blackest SRT Ever
12-30-2005, 03:06 AM
Does anybody on here have a humongous cam such as the ThunderRacing T-Rex in their LS1? I plan on putting something like that in my car, maybe a teeny tiny bit milder.....specs on T-Rex are: 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa
I want something like that, maybe a 112 lsa and a wee bit less lift....anyone with experience/dyno #s?

mr2guru
12-30-2005, 03:38 AM
do you have a gto?

Probably not a good idea on stock displacement.

The GTO is a porker and the T-rex is barely livable in an f-body with 4.11 gears that weighs 600lbs less. If you did get a something like a t-rex you'd need 3.91s as a minimum and plan on being miserable in stop and go traffic.

JMHO

IMPULSE.ACTIONS
12-30-2005, 03:51 AM
I would recommend looking into the LG Motorsports G5X3 or G5X4 cams. They are a big # cam and seem to be more tame and easier to drive on compared to the T-Rex.

gtodoug
12-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Why such a big cam? Alot of guys are running the S cam which has like 4* less duration and similar lift numbers. That's the closest cam I can think of without going custom.

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve? Even though the T-rex was the craze over on LS1 tech 12-18mos ago, camshaft tech has come a long way. There are guys making huge power on much smaller grinds with great idle quality. Talk to EDC at flowtech and he'll get you a cam with more attention to the overall curve and keeping things like dynamic compression in mind to get the most out of your motor. The T-Rex really is a drag racing cam. You can get the same numbers out of a different cam that will peak much ealier and live under 6600rpms. The only advantage of the T-Rex in comparision to some of the other cams with better tech is being able to keep the power in such a high area of the RPM band.

If you are dead set on it though, good luck. I think you might be the first GTO guy to try it!(if you have a GTO, you specified your LS1)

Dougie

Blackest SRT Ever
12-30-2005, 04:20 AM
I should be purchasing my black/red '04 GTO in the next few days (hopefully Saturday depending on loan people).

MR2 - the TRex is designed to be the biggest cam you can put in an otherwise-stock LS1 motor. It makes ~450hp/410tq in F-bodies with minor bolt-ons and a good tune. I plan on putting 3.91s in the GTO, and I can deal with stop-and-go stuff. However, I do plan on mildly changing the cam specs to get a bit more drivability out of it.

Impulse - Thanks for the idea, I'll look into those.

Doug - Not too sure what it is w/ me and big cams...I just tend to like them. Friend has a cam thats 258 / 26x .62x / .62x 113* (hes semi-secretive about it) and I've seen what it can do (500 whp, although in a 408). As for what I'm trying to achieve - 420+whp, good times at track. Also needs to be a good nitrous cam, as I plan on running a healthy wet shot at some point. The TRex is in the fastest cam-only LS1 F-body in the country, so I know the track times are there as well as the horsepower. I somewhat planned on going through EDC for a cam, I'm just using the TRex as an example as to what I'm looking at. You never know, I may put one in there just to be the first GTO guy with one:mullet:

2004GTOFERN
01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask...did you crash the SRT or did you sell it? I crashed my baby (72 bird) into a light pole after losing control on wet pavement after a few two many bacardi & cokes and a joint at 3:30 in the morning :banghead: She is waiting to get rebuilt.

Baaa
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
One thing you will not be able to do is put that cam in a GTO without long tube headers and preferrably full exhaust. It wont breath. Most of the HGH runs HPE's S Cam which is a .608/.612 238/242 115LSA. Its whats in the Blue GTO you have seen and I believe talked to in Kingwood. Robert. Great lope and great power.

Blackest SRT Ever
01-03-2006, 01:17 AM
I didn't crash my SRT, some dumbass 17 year old hit me in the side.

By the time a cam goes in the GTO, I'll have intake, longtubes, and cutouts, and an underdrive pulley will go on when the cam is installed. I may look into the S-cam, as I'm sure the guys at HPE have gotten tuning for it down, although I'd like something closer to a 112 LSA to lower the powerband a bit. What do you S-cam guys usually dyno around?

:edit: I also plan on running around a 150 shot...do you know how the S-cam responds to nitrous? My friends Trans-Am has a custom nitrous-specific cam, and he made around 220whp off of whats usually 150hp jets.

AZ Power and Sound
01-03-2006, 01:34 AM
where in the country are you?

Baaa
01-03-2006, 08:59 AM
HPE also offers the S Cam in a 113 LSA.

Baaa
01-03-2006, 08:59 AM
HPE also offers the S Cam in a 113 LSA.

Blackest SRT Ever
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Todd - I live in a city on the northeast side of Houston. Didn't realize my location wasn't in there.

Baaa - Good, thats more what I'm looking for....anybody have S-cam dyno results? I wish I could drive an S-cammed car, but since I'm a 19 yr old kid, I doubt too many people would be willing to let me do that:p

grfperformance
01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Try doing a search on S-cam or HPE. I and several others have posted our dyno results in the dyno section. I also have an S-cam.

EDC
01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
AZPS-03 results (http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55835)

This one is pretty stout! And VERY strong.

Ed

jjw3477
01-05-2006, 06:16 AM
damn Ed that graph on the AZPS-03 cam is awesome better than the rest as far as cam only car goes.

Baaa
01-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Todd - I live in a city on the northeast side of Houston. Didn't realize my location wasn't in there.

Baaa - Good, thats more what I'm looking for....anybody have S-cam dyno results? I wish I could drive an S-cammed car, but since I'm a 19 yr old kid, I doubt too many people would be willing to let me do that:p
Most cam only LS1s with bolt ons are around 390 rwhp. With a fast 90/90 this goes over 400 easily. Heads from there will get you another 30-50 rwhp.
Cam only LS2s are running in the 420-430 rwhp range. Those extra cubes help along with better heads from the factory.

BOSSGTO
01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
me want cam :bootyshak

Closer_2001
01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I had a G5X3 on 114 in mine. It was a little light on the bottom but PULLED like crazy on the top. Try the 112 w/headers, you will not be disappointed.

AnoxieGTO
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
You don't have to have a Ron Jermey or Tommy Lee sized stick to make good numbers....just keep that in mind

CMNTMXR57
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Mountain cams are a waste if you ask me. Unless you plan on living at the drag strip!

I had a conservative cam in my Camaro by todays LSx cam standards and in the rpm ranges you'll find on the street, it was a gorilla. I let a mountain cam owner take mine for a drive and the first words out of his mouth after a WOT two gear romp were "WHOLLY F*CK!"

SO don't get wrapped up in huge bumpstick numbers!

The cam Ed ground for me has nearly .610 lift on intake and just under .600 on exhaust. But it's got a more sane duration of 224*I and 228*E. Coupled with the AFR 205's I'm putting on, it'll be a monster.

Baaa
01-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Mountain cams are a waste if you ask me. Unless you plan on living at the drag strip!

I had a conservative cam in my Camaro by todays LSx cam standards and in the rpm ranges you'll find on the street, it was a gorilla. I let a mountain cam owner take mine for a drive and the first words out of his mouth after a WOT two gear romp were "WHOLLY F*CK!"

SO don't get wrapped up in huge bumpstick numbers!

The cam Ed ground for me has nearly .610 lift on intake and just under .600 on exhaust. But it's got a more sane duration of 224*I and 228*E. Coupled with the AFR 205's I'm putting on, it'll be a monster.
Well I love my Mountain cam and it does just fine on the street and I by far do not live at the track. First and 2nd gear are almost worthless due to the power both low and top end. And I am not even running heads yet. To each their own.

CMNTMXR57
01-09-2006, 12:50 PM
So first and second gears are pretty much useless. Hmmm

Baaa
01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes due to the hp. Anyone with a 402 or 408 of FI motor would have the same problem. Has nothing to do with my cam being a moutain. Now I need to work on traction. I look at it this way, 500rwhp is pretty much useless on the street as well. No traction. We can debate this all day. My point being, my big cam is no more a waste of time then a supercharger is. Its all a waste if you cant get the power to the ground. We have a heavy car. We have to do things a little differently then a f body does. Let me get my tires a little warm and my first and second gears are no longer useless.

HRJ
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Actually, my first and second gears aren't useless with the 275 rubber I have. Sure, the car is fighting for traction, but it's still moving foward at a very quick pace.

CMNTMXR57
01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I think Baa missed my point. I'd rather have 500 rwhp, that comes on in a more usable range that allows me to at least launch the car and get it set in motion. Overloading everything with so much power from a dead stop if you aren't blowing rubber out from under it is a pure waste of all that power. You could probably get the same results from a lesser cam and still enjoy first and second gears.

The optimum is what HRJ explains. Enough wheel spin to break them loose but maintain the desired level of forward acceleration vs. sitting doing a smoke show!

The only way you're gonna harness that level of power on the street is to completely gut your rear, tub it, put a solid Strange rear end in and mount 36" slicks to a spool.

Baaa
01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I think Baa missed my point. I'd rather have 500 rwhp, that comes on in a more usable range that allows me to at least launch the car and get it set in motion. Overloading everything with so much power from a dead stop if you aren't blowing rubber out from under it is a pure waste of all that power. You could probably get the same results from a lesser cam and still enjoy first and second gears.

The optimum is what HRJ explains. Enough wheel spin to break them loose but maintain the desired level of forward acceleration vs. sitting doing a smoke show!

The only way you're gonna harness that level of power on the street is to completely gut your rear, tub it, put a solid Strange rear end in and mount 36" slicks to a spool.
Well let me clarify that my car doesnt sit still smoking the tires. The car will lunge forward but at about 3500 rpm it breaks em loose. Its not a smoke show by any means. When I say useless I mean anytime you are spinning you arent accelerating. Spinning is a reduction of forward motion. Dont get me wrong the car is still accelerating a very quick pace just not as quick as if it wasnt spinning.
Sorry for the confusion there CMT.

mr2guru
01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
vs. sitting doing a smoke show!

That's where I am at... it'll light em up from a 70 punch in 3rd.

first?, second? fuggeddaboutit..... I NEED drag radials at a minimum.

and how am I gonna control this 150shot again????

EDC
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Without being a total party crasher...

What do the cars do at the track?

I know some don't race but if you're going to make all kinds of "power", what are the results?

Case in point... A customer did a cam swap in a truck. Only a cam swap. From a OTS camshaft to one of my customs. According to the dyno, it did nothing. At the track it was three tenths quicker and nearly three MPH faster. "Acceleration" RULES!

Ed

gtodoug
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Yup, that last cam I saw Ed do (JJW3477) made 350wtq at 2700rpms and 375wtq at 6500rpms. Did I mention 400whp by 4800rpms? The key here is average power.

Bone and myself had virtually the same mods and same hp. However the big difference is average power. He got into his power sooner and made more average tq than me. At the track the mph is the same(me at 117.83 and he at 117.xx) , I just can't get out of the whole quite as hard, and that will obviously make the car ET better. It makes the car a ton more fun on the street as well.

You guys will see shortly what Ed's new bumpstick does in my 408.

Dougie

Baaa
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Without being a total party crasher...

What do the cars do at the track?

I know some don't race but if you're going to make all kinds of "power", what are the results?

Case in point... A customer did a cam swap in a truck. Only a cam swap. From a OTS camshaft to one of my customs. According to the dyno, it did nothing. At the track it was three tenths quicker and nearly three MPH faster. "Acceleration" RULES!

Ed
I have not been with my cam as of yet. Waiting on a clutch. One of our group members with the same cam just did a 12.14.

grfperformance
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
I believe HRJ posted his track results, a little over 115mph, cam only.

But not everyone has an auto with a 3200 or higher stall and can get under 1.6 second 60 ft. times. My car will probably see the strip 2-3 times a year, not once a week. I've put over 6K miles on it with the "Mountain cam" and love every minute of it.

Yes, peak dyno numbers don't tell the whole story but the average numbers do and if you're accelerating in an M6, you lose 2200 rpm when you shift. If your shift puts you in the middle of your torque curve, you've got the optimal setup.

I can go from an idle, floor it, and it pulls hard, by 3.5K it goes very hard.

Sure you can run smaller cams and yes you can achieve the same results using a different setup, but let's not get back into the big cam is bad, baby cam is wonderful stuff that is pretty useless and only confuses everyone.

As for Mountain Cams, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

grfperformance
01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
AZPS-03 results (http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55835)

This one is pretty stout! And VERY strong.

Ed

Ed, is that the new 210/213 baby cam we've been hearing about?:gr_devil:

Baaa
01-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I believe HRJ posted his track results, a little over 115mph, cam only.

Yeah HRJ ran a 12.50 on a stock smoking clutch at 115mph.

AnoxieGTO
01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, peak dyno numbers don't tell the whole story but the average numbers do and if you're accelerating in an M6, you lose 2200 rpm when you shift,
My mom wouldn't lose that on a shift and she can't drive a m6......I would say I lose 1g MAX prolly like 3-500 from 1-2 700 2-3 and 3-500 3-4

grfperformance
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
My mom wouldn't lose that on a shift and she can't drive a m6......I would say I lose 1g MAX prolly like 3-500 from 1-2 700 2-3 and 3-500 3-4

This isn't internet folklore. Get a gear calculator and run the numbers. It has nothing to do with Gs.

And your mom and everyone else loses that on a shift with a stock GTO M6 and a 3.46 rear gear.

This isn't a forum where BS reigns. "First get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure." Mark Twain.

Baaa
01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
This isn't internet folklore. Get a gear calculator and run the numbers. It has nothing to do with Gs.

And your mom and everyone else loses that on a shift with a stock GTO M6 and a 3.46 rear gear.

This isn't a forum where BS reigns. "First get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure." Mark Twain.
You are exactly correct. sometimes you dont notice the rpm reduction due to clutch slip or tire spin or even the car lurching farward hard under shifts but gear ratios dont lie.

Blackest SRT Ever
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm not so much obsessed with "mountain cams" or big lift/duration numbers....the thing w/ the TRex...it has the results to back it up. The fastest cam-only LS1 in the world runs the TRex....that should tell you something.

My friend drives a trans-am w/ an LME 408 and a HUUUUUGE cam in there, making over 700whp/800wtq on spray, and he still loves the hell out of it on the street.

EDC
01-10-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm not so much obsessed with "mountain cams" or big lift/duration numbers....the thing w/ the TRex...it has the results to back it up. The fastest cam-only LS1 in the world runs the TRex....that should tell you something.

I am not in any way "knocking" TR or the Trex camshaft, but in a lot of cases, the parts claimed, aren't the parts used. I've been racing in the "heads-up" world for a long time and you'd be very surprised how many people say they run parts to collect the "beans" but really don't. ;)

My friend drives a trans-am w/ an LME 408 and a HUUUUUGE cam in there, making over 700whp/800wtq on spray, and he still loves the hell out of it on the street.

Huge is relative... My 229* intake lobe doesn't sound huge, but in lobe area, it'll make some "mountain cams" cringe. Use what works, not what the internet says...

Ed

CMNTMXR57
01-10-2006, 07:28 AM
For the record, I never said "Mountain Cams" were bad. Just not the avenue I would take and I don't recommend people get all waxed up over them.

Torrid04GTO
01-10-2006, 07:56 AM

You guys are talking about different things.

Anoxie is thinking of RPM drop when the clutch is disengaged while shifting, while grf is talking about the difference in RPM before and after shifting with the clutch engaged.

sschmidt1116
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
already have a t-rex cam in 04 gto. drives in traffic fine

grfperformance
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Huge is relative... My 229* intake lobe doesn't sound huge, but in lobe area, it'll make some "mountain cams" cringe. Use what works, not what the internet says...

Ed

That's for sure. I can only imagine the ramp on a 224 with .610 lift. That has to look like the side of a cliff.

EDC
01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
That's for sure. I can only imagine the ramp on a 224 with .610 lift. That has to look like the side of a cliff.

Hey.... It's only .650" lift... ;)

BTW... awaiting a call on that "other" part. :D

Ed

grfperformance
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey.... It's only .650" lift... ;)

BTW... awaiting a call on that "other" part. :D

Ed

Cool. Sounds like these new cams might need the new part also. Can't wait for the testing to begin.:secret:

Farmer Fran
01-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I see a lot of HP this Hp that...now that is all good and well.

But My car dyno'd 360hp/359tq and it will run 12.1 all day long. Not sure why people worry about dyno number so much. Yes they give good base lins and good estimations of increases but they are tuning tools IMHO.

As for the CAM - If you want a big CAM, get one. I would love to hear about it. Just make sure you keep us posted on whatever it is you do.

grfperformance
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I see a lot of HP this Hp that...now that is all good and well.

But My car dyno'd 360hp/359tq and it will run 12.1 all day long. Not sure why people worry about dyno number so much. Yes they give good base lins and good estimations of increases but they are tuning tools IMHO.

As for the CAM - If you want a big CAM, get one. I would love to hear about it. Just make sure you keep us posted on whatever it is you do.

Unfortunately or fortunately, not everyone lives in the northeast with great air pressure and exceptional track times. Some of us like to live high in the sky and our track times are in the pits.

Dyno's are the best method to compare one setup to another. Track times are more about 60ft than power. MPH is a good indicator but again, it's based on the humidity and air pressure at the time of the run. Dynos take all that into account if you use SAE.

So, yes, your track times are great at or below sea level, but, come on up to Denver and see how quick you are.

AnoxieGTO
01-10-2006, 07:59 PM
You guys are talking about different things.

Anoxie is thinking of RPM drop when the clutch is disengaged while shifting, while grf is talking about the difference in RPM before and after shifting with the clutch engaged.
Thanks for helping me not look like a complete dumbass, yeah I see the light now....

-db-
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately or fortunately, not everyone lives in the northeast with great air pressure and exceptional track times. Some of us like to live high in the sky and our track times are in the pits.

Dyno's are the best method to compare one setup to another. Track times are more about 60ft than power. MPH is a good indicator but again, it's based on the humidity and air pressure at the time of the run. Dynos take all that into account if you use SAE.

So, yes, your track times are great at or below sea level, but, come on up to Denver and see how quick you are.

Chassis dyno fans = :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

Blackest SRT Ever
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I am not in any way "knocking" TR or the Trex camshaft, but in a lot of cases, the parts claimed, aren't the parts used. I've been racing in the "heads-up" world for a long time and you'd be very surprised how many people say they run parts to collect the "beans" but really don't. ;)

Ed

I understand you're not trying to talk bad about anybodys cam. I'm not necessarily all "gung-ho" about getting a TRex, I was just using it as a sort of example for the size of cam I'm looking at getting. I've been meaning to talk to you about maybe designing me a custom cam that'll do what I want, but due to a few things happening I won't be getting my GTO for a month or two, so I haven't yet.
It doesn't suprise me at all that people say they run one thing but run another. Seen it in other sports I've been involved with as well. As far as I know, the "Worlds Fastest Cam-Only LS1" was built/is maintained at Thunder Racing, and uses a great deal of their other parts (or says so, anyhow). But anyways, not all that concerned about thunder racing.

As for huge being relative...you be the judge: 258 / 26x .62x / .62x 113*LSA Works very well for nitrous (entire motor was built as a nitrous-motor) he made ~220whp on a 150 wet shot. He runs AFR 205 heads, not sure what all the specifics are on those with how much lift they can run, I'm sure you know much more about that than I do. He's still got lots of small things he needs to do for improvements though...he's still running stock LS6 intake manifold and needs bigger header primaries.

If you feel like designing a cam, here's what I'm looking for (all on '04 LS1, M6 tranny): 430+whp n/a, I'd like to rev to 6700-6800rpm, needs to be good on nitrous (I plan on running a 150shot). Planned setup for the car is intake, headers(1 7/8")/exhaust, pulley, tune. Stock heads (can't change TOO much, plus I'm a 19yr old college kid), stock intake manifold, ported TB, descreened MAF and whatnot. Will be run at track on DRs.

Baaa
01-11-2006, 06:01 AM
If you feel like designing a cam, here's what I'm looking for (all on '04 LS1, M6 tranny): 430+whp n/a, I'd like to rev to 6700-6800rpm, needs to be good on nitrous (I plan on running a 150shot). Planned setup for the car is intake, headers(1 7/8")/exhaust, pulley, tune. Stock heads (can't change TOO much, plus I'm a 19yr old college kid), stock intake manifold, ported TB, descreened MAF and whatnot. Will be run at track on DRs.
Your not going to get to 430 rwhp on the stock heads on a LS1. They just simply cannot flow enough in stock form regardless of what cam you put in this motor. We have a little more of a drivetrain loss due to the IRS vs the solid axle of an f body. Right at 400 is about all you are going to do cam only. 430 rwhp is going to require heads for an LS1.

grfperformance
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Chassis dyno fans = :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

Come on up to Denver, we'd be glad to run you at our track (Bandimere). Let's see your "dyno"mite times at 5800 ft. :gr_jest:

usdmgto
01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Your not going to get to 430 rwhp on the stock heads on a LS1. They just simply cannot flow enough in stock form regardless of what cam you put in this motor.

I have to respectfully disagree with this one. The stock heads on an LS1 flow a whole lot in comparison to other makes (stock Ford heads). The factory LS1 heads flow as much or more than most aftermarket Ford heads. It is possible to make 450+ rwhp on un-ported GT40P's (port matched 1" into the port, no bowl work etc), which flow nowhere near as much as an LS1 head does. This is a real number from a Fun Ford Trophy Stock Mustang, which was running four years ago. Sure, the heads had every trick possible, angle milling, mega dollar valve job, valves set identical depths into the head, relocated head stud holes, etc, but still, they flowed alot less than an LS1 head.

Was the engine and drivetrain different than in a LS1 GTO? Of course it was. Is this apples to oranges? Sort of. However, my point is, it takes much less airflow to make power, in the way of "published numbers" on cylinder heads, than is realized by the internet consortium's general consensus. Some day someone will make 430 rwhp on a cam and bolt on LS1 with untouched heads, and then everyone will be suprised.

Baaa
01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with this one. The stock heads on an LS1 flow a whole lot in comparison to other makes (stock Ford heads). The factory LS1 heads flow as much or more than most aftermarket Ford heads. It is possible to make 450+ rwhp on un-ported GT40P's (port matched 1" into the port, no bowl work etc), which flow nowhere near as much as an LS1 head does. This is a real number from a Fun Ford Trophy Stock Mustang, which was running four years ago. Sure, the heads had every trick possible, angle milling, mega dollar valve job, valves set identical depths into the head, relocated head stud holes, etc, but still, they flowed alot less than an LS1 head.

Was the engine and drivetrain different than in a LS1 GTO? Of course it was. Is this apples to oranges? Sort of. However, my point is, it takes much less airflow to make power, in the way of "published numbers" on cylinder heads, than is realized by the internet consortium's general consensus. Some day someone will make 430 rwhp on a cam and bolt on LS1 with untouched heads, and then everyone will be suprised.
I'll be waiting for the day. There are a lot of professionals who havent managed to make this happen yet. 410 or so is all anyone has been able to do with a huge cam and fast 90/90. Sure now if I found a way to bump the compression sky high or other internal engine tricks maybe. But stock heads and stock compression I just dont see any one doing it, and if they have, no one has mentioned it yet. There has been alot of guys/shops trying it since they GTO came out.

Blackest SRT Ever
01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you as well. If you go to Thunder Racings website, and look at the TRex cam, they have a dyno graph on there of a "99 TransAm with stock unported cylinder heads, Thunder Racing's T-ReX v.2 camshaft, and a full package of bolt-on parts, including long tube headers, pulley, LS6 intake manifold, Whisper lid, ported throttle body. Dyno runs were on 93 octane gasoline and a factory steel flyweel." It made 451 whp and 406wtq. Peak HP is way up there RPM wise (6300) but that camshaft is made to be revved high. Friends T/A was 410whp without a pulley, and that wasn't that big of a camshaft. I know there's more drivetrain loss because of IRS, but 410 was w/ a cam that wasn't very big.

MTBDOC
01-13-2006, 07:19 AM
This issue of power under the curve, optimal RPM, dragstrip vs dyno, etc points out the marked difference that WE have in our priorities. That is why Ed Curtis and others [other? how many of you public-service cam gurus ARE there, Ed?] are very much worth their time and expense.

Last weekend was my first ever time to a drag strip. It was great meeting other GTO guys and running the car a bit. The track had poor traction, times were rotten, and I had no delusions that my stock GTO 6 speed/19" wheels w/ an STS was the ultimate 1/4 mi weapon. Our ET's showed it[12.3]; most guys seemed to be .3 sec or so off of what they expected. The car pulled like an animal during the latter part of the run, and we saw 117-119 trap speeds. But quite honestly, it wasn't something I am dying to go do again. Give me a fast, twisty road...or some open track time.

Now I know that a cam change could do a lot to make the car quicker from a dead stop. I drive this car on the road, and already find that I can run out of road in a hurry after a few seconds of boost. STOCK drivability in stop-and-go rush hour traffic is nice [it is amazing how well this car will do idling in 3rd gear with a light foot on the brake/no gas]. A cam change would do a lot for power...but at what cost. Too big of a cam for application is not a good deal.

My point [after this rambling] is that there are so many variables that one needs to figure out priorities FIRST and then dial-in the parts. Big dyno numbers are cool. Fast ET's [for those of you who have them!] / high traps are cool. Nailing my car in 2nd/3rd/4th is cool.

Decide what you want and get good advice!