: My escape from Parris Island story

SportCoupe
07-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Here's my story from my stay at Parris Island from 2/88-8/88.

-MRP recruit at Parris Island. (MRP is medical rehab platoon). I broke my foot doing wind sprints in 1st phase.

-Escaped from Parris Island after my time in MRP. Preplanned the entire escape. Saved up crackers from the chow hall, then during the night I woke up like I was going on firewatch. I was fully dressed with my basic 782 gear as well. I headed out and into the 3rd battalion woods where I stayed the first night mapping out the area. The next day I slept under cover with my poncho liner. The next evening I was out of water, I made my way to the exercise field and filled up then header for the main gate.

For those that don't know there is a causeway to get on Parris Island, it is lined with palm trees the whole way. Those palms would be my cover as I walked right down the side of the causeway. When a car came I stood directly behind a palm so the cars headlights wouldn't shine on me. As I approached the gate (it is lit up like daytime with those high power lights) I stopped 100-200 feet out and scoped out the guards. there was only one, he was watching TV and every 10 mins he would walk outside and look around. I used this to my advantage and begun low crawling along the edge of the causeway near the swamp bushline. I made it right past this guard easily this way.

I got caught in Beaufort by the local police. He was very cool and bought me breakfast at a donut shop LOL. We talked and I told he it was my plan on getting caught and brought back for processing out of the Corps. Every other escapee I knew was processed out, then again all of them got caught at the gate. The guard at the gate got his a$$ chewed when the Beaufort police returned me. His duty sergeant was there doing shift turnover. After I was processed and sent back to my platoon I was told I was too valuable to send home so the Corps kept me.

I did finish boot camp and served 9 years before getting an honorable discharge in 1996.

I should add what happened after I got back to my platoon. hehehe. They were waiting for me, all of them. You know who I'm talking about, The DI's! Did I mention the quarterdeck? No? Well that's because I'm trying to forget that morning. I was up there a LONG time. They made me fold my t-shirt into a thin band and tie it around my head just like Rambo. After that I had a new name - Rambo Recruit. Other DI's were invited over to our platoon just to meet me...and yell at me. They all wanted to see the Rambo Recruit, aka the one who got away.

-Made PFC time in grade at Parris Island (LOL!) upon graduation (that's 6 months of boot camp for you non-Marines).

Steel Chicken
07-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Im confused.
Was this some kind of training excercise, or were you trying to go AWOL?

SportCoupe
07-10-2006, 07:48 AM
You can't go AWOL in boot camp technically. I got fed up with it and deceided my best way out (of boot camp) was to escape, get caught and processed out. My plan backfired. They didn't process me out or anything, in fact that little incident never even made it to my record book.

Steel Chicken
07-10-2006, 07:56 AM
ummmm ok

timsgoat
07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah.......... i found it easiest to just do my time and get out. 5 months to go on a 5 year contract!

gojiragoat
07-10-2006, 09:11 AM
You can't go AWOL in boot camp technically. I got fed up with it and deceided my best way out (of boot camp) was to escape, get caught and processed out. My plan backfired. They didn't process me out or anything, in fact that little incident never even made it to my record book.
Wow that has to be a first! LOL

Do the Marines have a "fat boy" program? Get too big, don't get your weight down, and get discharged? My brother rues the day that the Coast Guard discharged one of his favorite cooks on the fat boy program!

SportCoupe
07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Wow that has to be a first! LOL

Do the Marines have a "fat boy" program? Get too big, don't get your weight down, and get discharged? My brother rues the day that the Coast Guard discharged one of his favorite cooks on the fat boy program!

Yes they do., although rarely does it end up with a discharge. If you are overweight they volunteer you for a special morning exercise program. You won't stay fat long on the special program. :judge:

gojiragoat
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes they do., although rarely does it end up with a discharge. If you are overweight they volunteer you for a special morning exercise program. You won't stay fat long on the special program. :judge:
LOL, somehow I figured that the Marines would take care of it that way.

TurboManiacal
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
:gr_jest: Great Story!

KdubFL
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
I saw this in the lounge, glad you finally moved it here. Good stuff.

MTBDOC
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Funny...and all too true! I came to Nav Hosp Beaufort in 12/88 as the Director of Psychiatry. I saw a LOT of recruits who thought that they could threaten suicide and get d/c'd from PI. NOT!

Then the fall of '90 happened, Desert Shield began to spool up, and it got much worse. Seems that all of the kids sucked in by the recruiting commercials that made it look like a video game were confronted with the reality that they might well end up in the desert w/ saddam lobbing chemical weapons at them. For those of us who grew up under the spectre of VietNam, we understood about war and the purpose of the military. Seems that a lot of those kids didn't.

There were several kids that tried to swim/walk off the island. The DI's loved to tell stories about the gators and sharks...and of course, there ARE a bunch of those critters around there. They would get picked up by the local police and brought back...like the locals didn't understand what the story was with these kids in green underwear :).

Interesting times...

1stSgtUSMC
07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Funny...and all too true! I came to Nav Hosp Beaufort in 12/88 as the Director of Psychiatry. I saw a LOT of recruits who thought that they could threaten suicide and get d/c'd from PI. NOT!

Then the fall of '90 happened, Desert Shield began to spool up, and it got much worse. Seems that all of the kids sucked in by the recruiting commercials that made it look like a video game were confronted with the reality that they might well end up in the desert w/ saddam lobbing chemical weapons at them. For those of us who grew up under the spectre of VietNam, we understood about war and the purpose of the military. Seems that a lot of those kids didn't.

There were several kids that tried to swim/walk off the island. The DI's loved to tell stories about the gators and sharks...and of course, there ARE a bunch of those critters around there. They would get picked up by the local police and brought back...like the locals didn't understand what the story was with these kids in green underwear :).

Interesting times...

I had a kid take off from the main Parade Deck in the middle of a drill session. He made it to the water by 1stBn before anyone realized he was gone. He was a gear guard and actually made it to Horse Island, estimated 6 hour swim. Luck for him it was low tide. Beaufort County sheriff was waiting for him. Not too many people with shaved heads, cammies, tennis shoes, soaking wet and muddy walking around Beaufort. He didn't enjoy the next few days too much, lots of one on one time with my greenbelts.

Ahh the stories...

Had one of my "hats" call me on a Sunday morning and tell me my guide was refusing to train. "Boss, he's just sitting on his footlocker since he got back from church. He says God told him to stop training. What do you want me to do?" Not wanting to drive the 30 minutes to base to spend hours talking to this kid and save my greenbelt from killing the kid....me-put the MF'r on the phone. "Sir recruit _____." me-Listen son the Senior Drill Instructor just climbed this really big mountain that had all kinds of fire and brimstone on it and I had a long talk with Jesus and he told the Senior Drill Instructor that you misunderstood him, he said that you need to keep going like you ARE a Train. You know never stop, I think I can, I think I can. He was all kinds of motivated after that. Obviously I fired him the next morning. Later on he ended up being sent home as a fraud because he was diagnosed as being Bi-polar prior to enlisting.

Rome
07-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I went through AF BMT with a kid who tried to slit his wrist with a safety razor...needless to say it didn't work. However since the AF is so sensitive to attempted suicides im sure he went to the loony bin and eventually was generally discharged.

MTBDOC
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Too funny! Yeah, we ended up seeing a bunch of these kids who had some serious problems...and the recruiters often participated in the lie/cover-up to meet their quota.

Then again, we had to do screenings on all of the DI candidates...and always washed a couple out too!

MTBDOC
07-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I went through AF BMT with a kid who tried to slit his wrist with a safety razor...needless to say it didn't work. However since the AF is so sensitive to attempted suicides im sure he went to the loony bin and eventually was generally discharged.

The wrist cutters I never took too seriously. I was more interested in their background. If they'd done well in life prior to boot camp, I generally figured that they could cut it at PI and were just stressed out. But there were some real losers that should NEVER have been allowed in. I had one guy cut himself a couple of different times. I told him he could cut a tic-tac-toe board into his arm, but I wasn't giving him an out. He eventually completed boot camp...and came back and thanked me!

The CO of the RTR was a friend of mine. We played golf occasionally, and he said he only wanted me to get rid of the ones who COULDN'T make it through boot camp, not the ones I didn't think would be GOOD Marines.

mikesgtoinvegas
07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
i just don't understand how these guys sign up and then just think they can just get out because they pretend to be crazy for a little while. you'd think they would've learned from klinger, it didn't work for him. lmao

SportCoupe
07-14-2006, 08:42 AM
i just don't understand how these guys sign up and then just think they can just get out because they pretend to be crazy for a little while. you'd think they would've learned from klinger, it didn't work for him. lmao

They are most likely too young to remember Klinger and maybe never even heard of M.A.S.H. or know it really existed..... not like the TV show though, LOL!

Summerwolf
07-16-2006, 01:09 AM
damn I went through BMT and none of us tried to kill each other and for the most part we were all motivated....wth happened

we actually gained two kids who got washed back and we left with two more than we started with...got honor flight and everything....

1stSgtUSMC
07-16-2006, 04:35 AM
damn I went through BMT and none of us tried to kill each other and for the most part we were all motivated....wth happened

we actually gained two kids who got washed back and we left with two more than we started with...got honor flight and everything....

Honor Flight and everything..........I am dying to know what the everything is. Did you all get to meet the President and go to DisneyLand?:stickpoke

SportCoupe
07-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Heck I don't even know what Honor Flight is let alone "everything else".

mikesgtoinvegas
07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
lmfao

JBGlenn423
01-09-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm going to resurrect this post and piss people off...but oh well.
My escape from Parris Island was fueled by the fact that my recruiter wanted his quota and I was stupid enough to buy in to the description of my MOS that MEPS gave me. No low crawls. No wrist cutting. Just smooth talking. Step one: reasonably piss off a DI and assault a moronic recruit. Get branded "bipolar." Threaten suicide. Endure the oftentimes hilarious agony of shadow-watch. Step two: Request a chaplain. Get denied. Request again. Get denied. Go to Catholic services, enter confession booth. "Confess" to "harboring deviant thoughts of harming oneself." Freak out the confessor. Be ORDERED to the chaplain. Step three: Let the kind navy chaplain know that you were raised Catholic and that suicide scares you because you know it insults the big guy in the sky, which inherently jeopardizes your eternal soul. Listen as he tells you that no where in the bible does it say "SUICIDE IS BAD." Allow relief to intoxicate your senses and thank the kind navy chaplain for vindicating you and making it easier to do what has to be done. Get sent to MHU. Step four: Tell the not so kind navy med personnell that you changed your mind and you WANT to train...you just want your precious Prozac available on the island. Appear confused and disappointed when she tells you no. Tell her this is all you have and there is no plan B. Let her know that you long to be a proud Marine...Then leave the island a proud civilian. Walk away knowing that you just left the place where on the seventh day God took a giant steaming shit before resting. Not only that, but you just scored your golden ticket NOT in a body bag, NOT in the digestive tract of a crocodile or a severely lost shark, and NOT across the parade deck. The worst part is feeling like a bitch later.....

1stSgtUSMC
01-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Then leave the island a proud civilian.
AND
The worst part is feeling like a bitch later.....

MMMM. Conflicting statements or was the first one then and the second one now?

commandopat
01-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Some funny stories. The officer side has similar problems, people trying to make quotas, and retards jumping off bridges onto moving trains only to get picked up at the next station...or filling their cammies with 1-gallon ziploc bags and trying to float down the potomac haha

1stSgtUSMC
01-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Some funny stories. The officer side has similar problems, people trying to make quotas, and retards jumping off bridges onto moving trains only to get picked up at the next station...or filling their cammies with 1-gallon ziploc bags and trying to float down the potomac haha

I was at TBS from 98-01 and went to OCS one summer as a PTI so I saw the reindeer games.

I don't get on here much anymore...looks like you have added a few goodies to your car from what I remember it having:cartman:

commandopat
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I was at TBS from 98-01 and went to OCS one summer as a PTI so I saw the reindeer games.

I don't get on here much anymore...looks like you have added a few goodies to your car from what I remember it having:cartman:

Interesting. Have I met you? haha. I can't recall any 1stSgt's that may have seen my car...I think..lol.
All I can say about OCS and TBS is I'm glad its over lol

1stSgtUSMC
01-10-2010, 02:10 AM
No we haven't met. I just remember you posting in the other thread in here when you were at TBS, then Johnson and only had a CAI or something but was looking for cam and headers, etc. Then in your post in this thread I read your signature. No worries, I am not stalking you:ninja:

Zenizlev
01-10-2010, 08:00 PM
MMMM. Conflicting statements or was the first one then and the second one now?

He's just a troll, I bet it's all BS.

It Burns When I Pee
01-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm going to resurrect this post and piss people off...but oh well.
My escape from Parris Island was fueled by the fact that my recruiter wanted his quota and I was stupid enough to buy in to the description of my MOS that MEPS gave me. No low crawls. No wrist cutting. Just smooth talking. Step one: reasonably piss off a DI and assault a moronic recruit. Get branded "bipolar." Threaten suicide. Endure the oftentimes hilarious agony of shadow-watch. Step two: Request a chaplain. Get denied. Request again. Get denied. Go to Catholic services, enter confession booth. "Confess" to "harboring deviant thoughts of harming oneself." Freak out the confessor. Be ORDERED to the chaplain. Step three: Let the kind navy chaplain know that you were raised Catholic and that suicide scares you because you know it insults the big guy in the sky, which inherently jeopardizes your eternal soul. Listen as he tells you that no where in the bible does it say "SUICIDE IS BAD." Allow relief to intoxicate your senses and thank the kind navy chaplain for vindicating you and making it easier to do what has to be done. Get sent to MHU. Step four: Tell the not so kind navy med personnell that you changed your mind and you WANT to train...you just want your precious Prozac available on the island. Appear confused and disappointed when she tells you no. Tell her this is all you have and there is no plan B. Let her know that you long to be a proud Marine...Then leave the island a proud civilian. Walk away knowing that you just left the place where on the seventh day God took a giant steaming shit before resting. Not only that, but you just scored your golden ticket NOT in a body bag, NOT in the digestive tract of a crocodile or a severely lost shark, and NOT across the parade deck. The worst part is feeling like a bitch later.....

DAMN.

If only I would have thought of that genius plan...I wouldn't have NOT felt like a bitch.

Of course, I wouldn't have had to deal with gators or sharks. Just a lot of traffic and some strippers.

/Hollywood Marine