: Clutch bleeding???

brianh1
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Does anybody know how to bleed the clutch? I have the dreaded sludge build up in my clutch resvoir and want to try to get it out.

What kind of fluid do you use?

Whats the best way to clean the sludge out?

Thanks in advance.
Brian

sappy96
07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Id like to know also... anyone?

mikesgtoinvegas
07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
there is a bleeder valve attached to the throw out bearing above the lime going in. if you have no one helping what i do is get a smaller bottle of fluid turn upside down in master and open bleeder and let gravity bleed. if you have help bleed like brakes open bleeder push on clutch close bleeder let clutch up repeat, master cyl is very small so you need to watch level so you don't pump air into system.

BillyGoatGruff
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
First trick

Get a handheld vacuum pump with a right angle attachment and a small pipet. Put them together and stick them in the resevior hole, plugging it. Create vacuum to suck out any air, you will see the bubble come up through the fluid. When satisfied, remove the pipet from the hole and the fluid in the resevior will fill the void in the line.

Second trick

Get a remote bleeder line and attach it to the slave when installing a new clutch. Route it up to the resevior area and use a vacuum pump to suck pressure, crack the valve and allow the air to be sucked out.

Hope these help one way or another.

brianh1
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
But what about the sludge? Is there a way I should clean that out.

Fox Mulder
08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
But what about the sludge? Is there a way I should clean that out.

Your first step when bleeding/flushing should be to suck out the fluid in the master cylinder with a baster or suction device, and refill it with fresh fluid. This will prevent the dirty fluid from being drawn through the system when you do the bleed.
While the reservoir is empty, take a clean cloth or rag and use it to clean out as much of the residue as you can from sides and bottom. The bottom has a fine mesh screen so be careful not to damage it. It's best to just ball up a corner of the rag and push it down into the reservoir, when you remove it it will draw out the dirt. Do this a few times and you should get most of it.
Once the reservoir is as clean as you can get it, refill it with the new fluid and begin bleeding.
I followed this procedure when changing my clutch fluid two months ago, and it has remained relatively clean. It has darkened again a little, and it always will because the lines will always have some residue in them from the seals in the master and slave, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did before I flushed it and the clutch works much better now.

brianh1
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
What kind of fluid did you use?

CritterRacing
08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
i thought i read some where thats its almost impossible to get a tool on the bleeder. falls into the bellhousing real easy.

GMH GTO
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
For one, the sludge has no affect over the performance of the clutch hydraulics. The Sludge isn't defective clutch fluid, it is assembly grease, assume not petroleum based. As we all know.

As for bleeding the clutch with the factory slave, good luck! I purchased a remote bleeder line that screws in place of that worthless bleeder screw. Bleed my clutch in 30 seconds (?) about 4 pumps with a pheonix maxi jet set up for RFI air bleeding.

Clutch/Brake fluid Motul Dot 5.1 (glycol based) Only issue with high end brake fluids, they work flawless but hydroscopically soak up water (more then dot3) lowering the boiling point eventually. Just need to change the fluid once a year for best performance, with a remote bleeder line is cake work.

Fox Mulder
08-02-2006, 02:37 AM
Yes the sludge may not have any effect but it sure looks nasty and it doesn't hurt to remove as much of it as possible.
The bleeder can be turned with an 11mm socket but I agree that access is tight and an extension isn't a bad idea.

LordGriNz
08-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Does the fluid mix over time? Just wondering if sucking out the reservoir every
now and then and topping off would work to replace the fluid over time.

Pontiac Addict
08-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Does the fluid mix over time? Just wondering if sucking out the reservoir every
now and then and topping off would work to replace the fluid over time.

I've done this twice now and it just gets black again within 500-1000 miles.

jeremyc74
08-02-2006, 04:23 AM
For one, the sludge has no affect over the performance of the clutch hydraulics. The Sludge isn't defective clutch fluid, it is assembly grease, assume not petroleum based. As we all know.

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. The fluid should be clean. Any contaminant in there is going to change the viscosity of the fliud, and it's also probably lowering the boiling point. The system is not designed to have grease in it, and it was a production screw up. This is the only car I've ever seen or heard of with this problem.

You can feel the difference after you get the fluid cleaned, especially when you're running the hell out of the car, like hot lapping at a drag strip. The clutch feel goes to shit after about 3 back to back passes.

GMH GTO
08-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Ok, don't have to belive me?

Informational - Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir #04-07-31-002 - (02/16/2004)
Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir
2004 Pontiac GTO

with Transmission, Manual 6 Speed, Tremec, 85 mm, 2.97 First, 0.57 Sixth, Overdrive (RPO M12)

It may be observed on some vehicles that the clutch fluid in the reservoir appears to be discolored, dirty, have sludge or grease contaminates in it after being in service for a period of time.

The level of discoloration will vary with factors such as driving conditions, under hood temperatures etc.

This is a phenomenon that may occur with time due to the interaction between the clutch system rubber parts with hydraulic clutch fluid.

The small amount of sludge or grease that may be noticed is, in fact, grease that has migrated from the master cylinder assembly. The grease is used during assembly of the master cylinder.

Engineering investigations of returned fluid samples show that discoloration and grease in the fluid DO NOT negatively affect the performance of the clutch hydraulic fluid.
Field reports indicate that where clutch fluid and or clutch system components have been replaced to address this condition, the vehicles have returned with the same condition causing a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer.

Discolored clutch fluid should not be replaced in a normal operating system.

For Clutch System Concerns and Diagnosis, refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Clutch SI Document ID #1338362.

Galen
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Doesn't GM now recommend the use of a MityVac to bleed the clutch system? This is how I changed the fluid in my car.

Galen

Ausstar
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
OK .. so what do we do then??? its all good advice but it seems like there must be a simple method that can be consistent with all goats

Slowgtols2
11-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Man these cars have more clutch issues than i've ever had with any of my other cars..

Slowgtols2
11-02-2006, 11:06 AM
What fluid are we supposed to use in our clutch? I know it's brake fluid but is it dot3-4-5??

Slowgtols2
11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
i've been under the car trying to find this damned bleeder valve, i' cant find it on the tranny housing some i'm assuming it's INSIDE the transmission where that little window hole is that the clutch line runs inside...

Any advice on how i can get in therE?? Am i looking in the right place?

Fox Mulder
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
i've been under the car trying to find this damned bleeder valve, i' cant find it on the tranny housing some i'm assuming it's INSIDE the transmission where that little window hole is that the clutch line runs inside...

Any advice on how i can get in therE?? Am i looking in the right place?

Yes it's in that opening, right below the hydraulic line. You may be able to feel it more easily than you can see it. Put your 11mm socket on a short extension and try to guide it onto the bleeder.

What fluid are we supposed to use in our clutch? I know it's brake fluid but is it dot3-4-5??

Yes same as your brake fluid. Whatever you're using for the brakes can go in the clutch reservoir.

Slowgtols2
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
On a side note, I opened my "fill plug" on the side of the tranny to top it off because there's a leak and apparently the prev owner over-filled the tranny by putting oil in through the shifter hole because about 5 qts came out of the side of the tranny on the "fill" line.

An even odder note, I was reading next to my fill plug and it says "dextron III atf only" I was very surpised to see and six speed taking atf..

The guys at autozone were trying to tell me my 6speed has a torque converter and i fill it where the dipstick hole( yes, i know i don't have a dipstick or tq converter) is once I told them my manual takes ATF. I think they thought i was a moron and didn't know the difference between an auto and a six speed.. :D

mikesgtoinvegas
11-02-2006, 03:46 PM
yes dextron 3. previous owner did not overfill trans is filled from the backup lamp switch on other side of trans.

Slowgtols2
11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Where is this "lamp switch" sorry but never heard of such a thing? BTW how many quarts of atf does the tranny hold?