: Why does my alarm go off whenever I use my ignition key to unlock the door?!

damon_Z
08-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I know this can't be right and could not have happened in a worser time. A few nights ago, I locked the GTO with the key fob. A few hours later, I unlocked the door with my ignition key since I couldn't find the unlock button on the key fob (first day of ownership). When I unlocked the door with the ignition key and opened the door, the alarm came on. This was at 1:30 in the morning! There were only two ways to shut the car up. The first was to start the engine with the ignition key. And second, was to hit the lock and unlock button on the key fob (or vice versa?). Is this normal? Thanks in advance for the info.

Fox Mulder
08-06-2006, 07:54 AM
This is normal. The alarm will only disarm when you use the remote, if you open the door with the key it will go off. Use the remote every time and this will never happen again.

Shocker
08-06-2006, 07:58 AM
I dont think in 2 year I have ever used the key for the door.

damon_Z
08-06-2006, 08:00 AM
This is normal. The alarm will only disarm when you use the remote, if you open the door with the key it will go off. Use the remote every time and this will never happen again.

Ok, so this is normal, but it shouldn't work like that. At least my mind is at ease now knowing that my alarm isn't defective. It's just another negative point against GM in my book.

gm4life
08-06-2006, 08:04 AM
It's normal.

Fox Mulder
08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Most cars work the same way, it's not just the GTO or GM. My Subaru is exactly the same.

damon_Z
08-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks!

Fox Mulder
08-06-2006, 08:16 AM
And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense, because otherwise all a thief would have to do is pop the door lock and open the door with a screwdriver to disarm the alarm.

GEMELLI
08-06-2006, 10:47 AM
It's just another negative point against GM in my book.

But you keep buying them??? I know I'm going to get it for this, but I'm a Ford guy. I've had Cobras, Lightnings, Super Coupes, SHOs, and regular Fords too. One conclusion: THEY ALL SUCK! GM, Ford, and I'm sure Chrysler too. Not one of them makes a perfect car or truck. Go figure. I've had problems with my GTO, but other than the crappy dealership where I bought my car, they were all very minor. This is the first car I've bought brand new and the quality control on the GTO is far better than any other car I've owned. Must be the Aussies. :)

BTW, congrats on the new GTO! You're going to love it!

Chilly Palmer
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Ok, so this is normal, but it shouldn't work like that. At least my mind is at ease now knowing that my alarm isn't defective. It's just another negative point against GM in my book.

Go drive some non-GM cars. Every car I've ever owned - 3 DSMs, Maxima, Altima, etc. Have all been like that.

The unlock button on the key fob is NOT difficult to find - is this your first car with an alarm?

BOTLFED98
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
normal

zero
08-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Most cars work the same way, it's not just the GTO or GM. My Subaru is exactly the same.

BS
Its supposed to be able to tell its been unlocked legally.
My GM truck had "the same" style of alarm and would go off if you reached thru the window to unlock and open the door.. but would do fine with a key.

So the key hole is only for emergencies?

disord3r
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I would expect that if it were armed with the remote, it needs to be disarmed with the remote. But it you lock it with the key, could you unlock it with the key and not have the alarm go off?

It seems to me that if the battery dies in the remote after you've locked the door, you're pretty much screwed when you go to unlock it with the key. So it would make sense that if the thing is dead/dying and you lock it with the key, it might not go off in that case.

I'll have to try that out...

dede
08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
So the key hole is only for emergencies?
On new Mercedes you need to disassemble door handle before you can get to the key hole

whiteboyslo
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
i have yet to see a car where the alarm DOESN'T work like that, likely for the reason Fox Mulder posted. this would include:

Nissan 350Z
Ford Focus
Chevy Trailblazer
Ford F350
Honda Accord

and on, and on......

Mike

StealthLS2
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
You mean I can open it with the key? :banghead:

GEMELLI
08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Reminds me of my marriage. :p

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jonlee
08-10-2006, 04:33 PM
is your key fob missing the buttons? there's no reason why you shouldn't be using the button on the key...