: Rear End Whine

Doc GTO
11-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I have had the rear end whine nosie for about 2000 miles but in the last 3 weeks it has gotten louder and higher in pitch so I figured that I can take it in to the dealership and they would be able to reproduce it with no problem. I called ahead and when I arrived the service manager took a 20 minute ride with me and took notes about what was going on and all the specifics. We got back to the dealership and he told me that he was going to investigate on the Pontiac service forum. He called me 2 hours later and told me that they ordered a new rear end for me and they will call back within 2 days to let me know when it will be here. He told me that they don't fix or adjust rears, they will replace it with a new unit. I will keep you guys up to date with this situation.

mistermike
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Sounds like a pinion bushing. There have been a couple of instances of failures documented here. I'm glad they are opting for a unit replacement rather than piecemeal repair. Good luck.

GTOdriver7
11-16-2004, 02:13 PM
wow. you must have a reasonable SM. i would have expected him to say something like "well you must have blown ur rear end b/c of your mods, warranty void!"
good luck.

Smo's04GTO
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

cjlannoy
11-16-2004, 04:00 PM
My car is being fixed right now, it had been whining for about 2 months when I took it to the dealer. They ordered the diff 1 month ago and it came in yesterday.

Cyclops24
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I have the whine too. When I let off the gas, I can hear it. I was always told they should be silent, I know my Mustangs was even after sticking 4.10s in the rear. Unless it gets louder like some of the owners on this board, I think I will live with it. My car has been in the shop enough.

cjlannoy
11-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I would get on the list now, it took them a month to get my rear end here.

Doc GTO
11-16-2004, 06:15 PM
My shop didn't say anything about the mods. Also, the rear was whining before the mods were installed so I can't see my measly 43 extra hp tearing up the rear end. I think that is was never aligned perfect from the beginning!

GranTurismoOmologato
11-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Doc GTO if you don't mind saying what is the total mileage on your car?

How about you cjlannoy?

Mine has the whine, I took it in but they said it was hardly noticable. I have 3700 miles on.

GranTurismoOmologato

Doc GTO
11-17-2004, 05:26 AM
Doc GTO if you don't mind saying what is the total mileage on your car?

How about you cjlannoy?

Mine has the whine, I took it in but they said it was hardly noticable. I have 3700 miles on.

GranTurismoOmologato

I just turned 11K on my car. It runs fine with exception to the whine noise but that happens after I have been at highway soeed for over 30 minutes. It's like the rear diff has to warm up or get hot to have the whine noise occure!

phobos512
11-17-2004, 07:01 AM
My whine has gotten down to starting at around 35mph now instead of the 45ish it took when I first noticed it. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be able to get her back in to have it looked at again. What with my travel this week, Thanksgiving next, etc. etc...Definitely will show them this post when I take her in though.

EDIT

Hey Doc, could you post the contact info for your SM so I can give it to my dealership as a "someone who's dealt with this" info?

Dragonman
11-17-2004, 07:19 AM
I have heard a whining noise also in my A4. I thought that it was from the exhaust because if I give it gas the whine would get louder and if I let off the gas the whine would get less noisy. can someone tell me if that was what they were hearing? My whine sounds like it is coming from about where the rear right passenger would sit.

Dbluegoat
11-17-2004, 08:29 AM
:sneaky: I hear a whining noise in my goat

GTOdriver7
11-17-2004, 08:31 AM

send it my way, i will fix the issue. :sneaky:

Dbluegoat
11-17-2004, 08:41 AM
send it my way, i will fix the issue. :sneaky:
NO SOUP FOR YOU :gr_jest:

Doc GTO
11-17-2004, 08:55 AM
My whine has gotten down to starting at around 35mph now instead of the 45ish it took when I first noticed it. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be able to get her back in to have it looked at again. What with my travel this week, Thanksgiving next, etc. etc...Definitely will show them this post when I take her in though.

EDIT

Hey Doc, could you post the contact info for your SM so I can give it to my dealership as a "someone who's dealt with this" info?

Yep,

His name is Richard at Backus Pontiac/Caddilac. The number is 912-354-7511. He is the SM/shop formam.

Edit: My 600th post :p I actually look like a forum vet!!!

Doc GTO
11-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Yeh, but your whine is at the other end of your car!!! In this situation-the better end!

cjlannoy
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
My car has 13,000 miles, but the noise started 3 mos ago and has gotten worse with time. I just got the car back with the new diff today and the problem is all better now. It started when I let off the gas at 45 mph or higher and as time went on it started at lower and lower speeds. I could kinda hear it at 30 mph by Mon of this week so I'm glad its fixed. At first I thought it was normal but as it got worse it was apparent that it is NOT normal and the tech that rode with me knew right away what it was. It definately got worse on longer trips also, when I first start the car I could go 1 or 2 miles before hearing anything but after that it was loud.

Dbluegoat
11-17-2004, 11:20 AM
My car has 13,000 miles, but the noise started 3 mos ago and has gotten worse with time. I just got the car back with the new diff today and the problem is all better now. It started when I let off the gas at 45 mph or higher and as time went on it started at lower and lower speeds. I could kinda hear it at 30 mph by Mon of this week so I'm glad its fixed. At first I thought it was normal but as it got worse it was apparent that it is NOT normal and the tech that rode with me knew right away what it was. It definately got worse on longer trips also, when I first start the car I could go 1 or 2 miles before hearing anything but after that it was loud.
how did you get a new diff with all the mods you have done? :sneaky: :cool:

cjlannoy
11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
The prob with the diff had nothing to do with any mods on the car.

Doc GTO
11-19-2004, 08:37 AM
I just called my service department today. They said the rear end will be here this afternoon or by Monday at the latest! That was fast!!!

Dragonman
11-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Well after about a 5 minute ride the service tech said straight away that it is a pinion issue. He is going to take it apart on Monday and take a look. I would imagine that it is going to get replaced. I have had this noise since I got the car at 345 miles. Currently I have about 2500. Thanks for the heads up and I think that we should make it a sticky so other people do not have to go through the pain of fighting with the dealership.

FraggerCrue
11-23-2004, 01:24 AM
I see they have the same problem with the CTS. Is it the same differential?

Doc GTO
11-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Don't know about the CTS-V . . .

Dragonman
11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
So I dropped off the car on Monday morning to get the rear end whine fixed. The service man called me back to let me know that he thinks they should have the parts and have it fixed by this week Friday. I guess well see. I have always been told a date, but later find out the parts are on backorder.

Henry Tong
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
So I dropped off the car on Monday morning to get the rear end whine fixed. The service man called me back to let me know that he thinks they should have the parts and have it fixed by this week Friday. I guess well see. I have always been told a date, but later find out the parts are on backorder.

Do the gears whines as in "howling"? On mine I hear this steady humming noise that's not too loud (kind of like engine noise of a plane on the runway). I've haven't really noticed it until I read this thread.
On my 1996 Mustang when I had the 3.73 gears installed It howled and it took them 3 tries to get it right

Doc GTO
11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
It started out as a steady hum but as I put miles on my car it got louder and it makes the most noise when I am on long trips and at constant 70+mph speeds.

Dragonman
11-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Mine too. the whine was getting louder and it almost sounds as if it is coming from the right rear passengers seat. I can report that it only took about 3 days to get the parts and get it fixed. No whine now!!!!!!! So now and a new differential everything is great. :) Too bad I had this problem from the day I picked up the car @ 350 miles. I just figured it was the exhaust or somthing. Take your car up to 60-70 and then lightly let off the gas--you will hear it then. When you push the gas in again it will disappear. If you hear any high pitched noise more than likely you can be having this issues.

I will also report that after the work for the rear clunking TSB's the car seem tighter in the rear end and the wheel slippage is a little less. I do think it was very noticeable as far as the firmness on the rear end with the thunk in the trunk TSB installed. It definetely rides different. The front end TSB also removed the clunking in the front suspension when going over small bumps. I am so much happier now and for the first time in five months my car seems to be in top shape.

Doc GTO
12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Just to give you an update. My dealer got the parts in Monday and I took it over the morning to get replaced. They said I would have it back today. Well, I would have if the schmucks that shipped it didn't have it turned upside down so the LSD fluid could leak out the vent (that's what the SM told me). They said that the fluid can only repleaced, not topped off because of the ratios of fluid to conditioner??? They also said that the fluid in our LSD is specific to our car only. They are on the hunt for the fluid and will try to have it here Friday (they hope). No matter, I have a new Bonneville to drive and their gas to use.

P.S. They have said nothing about the mods and Nitto drags on the rear! Good guys at my dealer! :)

NuGoat
12-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Had a whiine from the day I picked her up at 50-55 mph (5800 miles now). Dealer confirmed noise...replacing diff, but fuild is on backorder. Has anyone heard about fuild being on back order?

In addtion, second time I brought her in for a oil leak and they still can't find the loaction.

Cyclops24
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM
My "howling" is getting louder. I have more of a howl than what I would call a whine when off the gas and coasting above 40mph. I keep putting off taking it in because of the last debacle at teh dealrship when they had my car for ten days and F-ed up the finish with overspray. My driver seat is creaking like a SOB and driving me nuts so that needs addressed, I am going to ask about the side vents not working to defog the windows, some coolant on the front of the engine, and the rear end howl.

FraggerCrue
12-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Took my car in Monday. I had already had it in for the rear end whine, they told me they took it for a drive, didn't hear anything wrong with it. When I took it in Monday I asked the service manager to go for a ride with me. I kicked it up to about 50 mph, then got on and off the throttle to demonstrate the whine, cycled through the gears to show that 4, 5, or 6 the whine was there regardless of gear. He asked if it was there when the tranny was in neutral, I turned to go back to the dealership got it up to speed and dropped it into neutral. Same whine. They ordered a new differential.

Doc GTO
12-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Got my car back today. No whine!!! I have to baby it for a 100 miles to break in the new diff and go back at 500 miles for a re-torque of all the bolts to include the axle bolts!

silverbugeye
12-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Doc, did they ever pull the diff cover off before they ordered a new one?

My dealer wants to remove the diff cover and check the backlash before they order one even though they hear the noise.

They have no idea about the specific fluid and the fact that if the cover is removed and they order a diff that it could be a month.

For 1,200 miles I have had the same whine. I really need to just go to another dealer 2 hours away but was curious if yours was ever removed.

craigD
12-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Doc, did they ever pull the diff cover off before they ordered a new one?

My dealer wants to remove the diff cover and check the backlash before they order one even though they hear the noise.

They have no idea about the specific fluid and the fact that if the cover is removed and they order a diff that it could be a month.

For 1,200 miles I have had the same whine. I really need to just go to another dealer 2 hours away but was curious if yours was ever removed.
At what mileage did you notice the rear end whine, or did your car have it from beginning?

silverbugeye
12-11-2004, 05:38 AM
It started at 200 miles and I am now at 1400

NuGoat
12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
At what mileage did you notice the rear end whine, or did your car have it from beginning?

From day one

GMCVT
12-11-2004, 08:22 PM
So based on what you guys are saying, if I do decide to buy a new goat, I can expect to buy it with a bad rear end. :banghead: Has anyone who has had the fix had any re-occuring issues? Thank you!

cjlannoy
12-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Mine is starting to whine again, and I've been extremely carefull with it, haven't stepped on it since I had it replaced. I don't know how this is going to end. I have about 1500 miles on the newest differential. This one has never been raced and I've never had any wheel hop/ wheel spinning since I got it.

craigD
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Mine is starting to whine again, and I've been extremely carefull with it, haven't stepped on it since I had it replaced. I don't know how this is going to end. I have about 1500 miles on the newest differential. This one has never been raced and I've never had any wheel hop/ wheel spinning since I got it.
I wonder if the 05 rear is stockier? Just how fragile are these 04 rears I wonder. Some guys are racing the hell out of their cars and have not seemed to complain. Maybe a bad run of them, they were set up incorrectly? Guess we would all love to know...............

Brian
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I wonder if the 05 rear is stockier?
I would guess that the 04 is just as OEM as the 05. :gr_jest:

speedfrk
01-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Well crap, I was hoping to not find a thread like this... Mine also whines at about 50-70 mph. Nothing gets done fast with these cars since the parts come from Australia. They have had a headlight ordered for mine for 2 weeks now.( It had water in it) I guess the diff will be similar. Anyone had theirs fixed by getting the pinion backlash adjusted correctly without a complete replacement?

sledheadRick
01-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Hey fellas. Can you get a look at the bad gears and tell us what the damage looks like? Are we talking about surface wear or metal flaking, teeth chunking gear damage? Better yet, take some pics and post them.

Josh-'04GTO
01-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I dropped my car off a week and a half ago for the rear end whine. They said they noticed "pinion noise" and are replacing the rear end. Still no update on when it will be done, as they are having a hard time locating a replacement. They inspected/tore down the original, and didn't find any obvious problems. Tech said the bearings looked fine, and gear pattern looked great at well. They were stumped, but the whine was pretty bad, so they're gonna change it out.

thecrow
01-15-2005, 10:55 PM
I have had my GTO for 500miles and I took it in for an oil change and asked that a mechanic take it for a drive and listen to the rear. They called me and said that they needed to replace the "Differential" They had the parts sent overnight and the car was fixed by 4pm the next day. My car seems fine now. What would cause this to happen? I only heard the whine when my car was in gear at 55 - 75mph. When I pushed the clutch in no Whine and when the car was in neutral no whine. Should I hve been able to here the whine in heautal and coasting? 6speed manual.

kn7671
01-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Should I hve been able to here the whine in heautal and coasting? 6speed manual.

Depending on where the problem in the rear-end is will depend on when the noise/whine will occur.

The whine in the rear-end of my car is most noticable between 40-65mph regardless of gear, although it is hard to hear in second or third over the engine/exhaust noise. I also have a rattle noise upon take-off coming from the rear-end.

Guess its time to give service a call. I've also noticed that I don't have much limited-slip action happening now. I have 4000 miles on the odometer, whining started slowly about 1000 miles ago, but its getting on my nerves.

sledheadRick
01-16-2005, 12:19 PM
There are a number of reasons for gear/ transmition noises so it's hard to put a common name to everyones problems. For a noise that is heard at a certain rpm range one has to think about natural harmonic frequencies.

If, for example, a transmition were assembled and not properly shimmed and/or alligned, a telltale noise will be heard when the speed of the vehicle causes a vibration that matches the harmonic frequency. This can also be caused by inferior materials that warp (albeit at different rates) during the breakin phase.

No noise being heard at lower rpm could indicate a lubrication issue - meaning, too thin or not enough for higher speed conditions.

I'm guessing Pontiac is on to something regarding this very issue. Perhaps a build quality or part supplier problem. If so, they will either fix all complaints as they come or issue a proper product recall.

ok....that's more than $.02 worth. I'll shut up now.

mbar
01-17-2005, 08:45 AM
I took my car in during late December for a rear end whine that was constant at around 75 mph. The dealer evaluated the problem and called the tech line and they decided a new differential was needed at only 1500 miles on the odometer. The new differential has been installed and it's worse that the last one. This one whines ( loud enough to hear over the radio) between 50 mph and 65 mph but even worse than that, it has a knocking sound when decellerating around 40 mph. It took two trips back to the dealer to get them to acknowledge the new problem. They are now ordering another differential. All this with only 2600 miles on the car. This was the last in a series of problems starting with peeling paint on the front bumper, shifter knob rattle, loose door seal, and miscellaneous paint blemishes.
This has to be the worst new car I have ever owned and that includes a 1974 Austin Marina.

mbar

2004 Quicksilver, 6M

Marty 04
01-17-2005, 03:54 PM
What does it take for Gm to make this problem a TSB?

Desoto GTO
01-17-2005, 04:20 PM
guys, this problem is industry wide, on a lot of vehicles. i do know that, in order to take out the slop in a rearend, the tolerances are extremely tight. if the gear pack is not perfect, there will be one point, where the gears make more or less contact with each other. i do know that ford,and dodge, have the same problem.

dede
01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I have 2400 miles on the car, took it in today for the rear deferential whine
Nobody was surprised tech said it is 4th GTO in 2 months with the same problem
Good news is GM revised rear deferential
OLD P#92085125 -Im not 100% sure this is correct P# (I dont have it in front of me right now)
NEW P#92174633 GM LIST: $2,794.98 GM NET: $1,956.49 (it gives you new number then you order)

If you already have it fixed check if you got a new part

MikeZ28
01-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Dayum, that seems like a very pricey diff!

BobthePhotoGuy
01-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Can someone see if that is the same rear for the 05? I expect it probably is, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Mine is starting to make a bit of a whine, the mechanic said it is probably tire noise. Idiot, doesn't even know what rear end whine sounds like!! Time to try another dealer.

Bob

dede
01-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Can someone see if that is the same rear for the 05? I expect it probably is, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Mine is starting to make a bit of a whine, the mechanic said it is probably tire noise. Idiot, doesn't even know what rear end whine sounds like!! Time to try another dealer.

Bob

05 listed as LS2 deferential and it is new P#....

BobthePhotoGuy
01-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Could you elaborate?

Is the new part # for the 04 the same as the LS2 part #?

Or are you saying that the new LS2 is a new part # that isn't the same as the updated 04 part #?

Bob

dede
01-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Or are you saying that the new LS2 is a new part # that isn't the same as the updated 04 part #?

correct

TxSam
01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
So does that mean there are 3 P/N's now? (i.e. 2004 old p/n, 2004 new p/n, and 2005 p/n)

Dmitry
01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
ok.. i have a whine in my car but i dont think its the diff. i think its just the normal tranny noise.. can anyone describe this rear end whine? is it deep? high pitch? does it go away when off the throttle?

dede
01-20-2005, 11:58 AM
So does that mean there are 3 P/N's now? (i.e. 2004 old p/n, 2004 new p/n, and 2005 p/n)
correct

dede
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
High-med pitch from the back of the car at 45-75 mph on any gear (4-5-6)

CDecker
01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
High-med pitch from the back of the car at 45-75 mph on any gear (4-5-6)

Picking mine up from the dealer Friday. They replaced the rear end due to whine, not sure which they put in. Is there any way to tell? Anyone have the part numbers? I'm guessing they will be on my warranty paperwork...

kpanza
01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
So, anyone hear of any TSBs or recalls on these rear ends? Mine is getting louder and louder, just haven't had time to get it in yet...would love to be able to tell them something concrete instead of hearing the same old excuses from the dealer...

tcador
01-20-2005, 08:39 PM
My is loud from 45-75 as well. I've got 1500 miles and it's done it for as long as I can remember.

Dmitry
01-20-2005, 09:11 PM
does anyone know if this issue was resolved in the later build cars. i have a pulse red so my car was one of the last 800 made... i dont think i hear any sort of whine

dede
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Picking mine up from the dealer Friday. They replaced the rear end due to whine, not sure which they put in. Is there any way to tell? Anyone have the part numbers? I'm guessing they will be on my warranty paperwork...
.. :sneaky:
I have 2400 miles on the car, took it in today for the rear deferential whine
Nobody was surprised tech said it is 4th GTO in 2 months with the same problem
Good news is GM revised rear deferential
OLD P#92085125 -Im not 100% sure this is correct P# (I dont have it in front of me right now)
NEW P#92174633 GM LIST: $2,794.98 GM NET: $1,956.49 (it gives you new number then you order)

If you already have it fixed check if you got a new part

TheCamel
01-21-2005, 11:20 AM
For those of you wondering about the additive for the differentials, here is the part number

92145121 additive - LSD oil, top off kit

comes with a bottle, and a funnel for the bottle.

Currently not showing in gmparts direct

TheCamel
01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
According to Holdens parts catalog the number has not been superceded it shows your replacement number as the correct number for the car.

dede
01-21-2005, 12:46 PM
For those of you wondering about the additive for the differentials, here is the part number

92145121 additive - LSD oil, top off kit

comes with a bottle, and a funnel for the bottle.

Currently not showing in gmparts direct

Owner's Manual 2004 Gto
Rear Axle SAE 80W-140 Synthetic Axle
Lubricant (GM Part No. 89021809).
www.gmpartsdirect.com $14.58

dede
01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
1.Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2.Place a drain pan or suitable container under the rear axle housing.

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7414&stc=1

3.Remove the rear axle housing oil level fill plug (1) from the rear axle housing.
4.Remove the rear axle housing drain plug (4) from the rear axle housing and drain the rear axle housing.
Notice >Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5.After the rear axle housing has completely drained, install the rear axle housing drain plug (4) into the rear axle housing. Tighten
Tighten the rear axle housing oil level filler plug to 27 Nm (20 lb ft).

6.Refill the rear axle housing with approximately 1.0 liter (1.0 qt) of Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-140 GM P/N 89021809.
7.Using a graduated measuring cup, add 25 ml (1.0 oz) of Limited Slip Differential Friction Modifier GM P/N 89021958 to the rear axle housing.
8.Fill the rear axle housing with the remaining 0.575 liter (0.644 qt) of Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-140 GM P/N 89021809. The oil level should be even with the bottom of the rear axle housing oil level filler plug hole.
9.Install the rear axle housing oil level fill plug (1) with a new gasket and the lubricant tag (2) into the rear axle housing. Tighten
Tighten the rear axle housing oil level fill plug to 27 Nm (20 lb ft).

10.Remove the drain pan from under the rear axle housing.
11.Lower the vehicle.

CDecker
01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Got the GTO Back today. :) The Warranty receipt shows Part # 92174633 for the rear axle replacement. Looks like I got a new one. There are also a bunch of bolts, nuts, additive and oil listed.. Looks like they replaced everything.. :hail:

tcador
01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I took my car monday and surprise surprise, the tech couldn't hear anything. I'm going to have to take him with me next time.

silverbugeye
01-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Well I didnt know there was a new part #, I havent taken mine back in because of people saying theirs went bad a second time and I figured I'd wait for the real fix.

Doc GTO
01-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Got the GTO Back today. :) The Warranty receipt shows Part # 92174633 for the rear axle replacement. Looks like I got a new one. There are also a bunch of bolts, nuts, additive and oil listed.. Looks like they replaced everything.. :hail:

Same diff I got. My tech told me it was the 05 diff.

dede
01-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Same diff I got. My tech told me it was the 05 diff.
you tech is :banghead: :gr_jest:
P# for 2005 diff 92162975

Metaledge
01-27-2005, 10:15 AM
I have this same rear end issue. It took them almost 3 months to get the rear in, now I have been waiting almost 2 months for the gear oil. WTF?! Why the hell is it taking so long to get this damned oil? Is it so special that it needs to be ordered? I don't get it? Anyone have any insight into this?

By the way, I called a Pontiac customer service number and complained like hell to them my whole ordeal with the rear end. They said once it is resolved, I will most likely be getting some sort of "good will compensation". When I asked what that entailed, the rep. said it would most likely invlove 1 year's worth of oil changes and tire rotations. Not good enough! I want an new '05 for my troubles :banghead:

mbar
01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Guys,
Don't take too much comfort with the new part number for the differential. My first replacement was that part number S/N 2602 and it was worse than the original. It whined, knoched, and vibrated. I just picked up the car after having another differential installed. It too has the new part number but at least for the first 70 miles, no problems.

mbar

dede
01-27-2005, 12:48 PM
S/n 2602 ??? :eek2:

TwoFingerSneak
01-27-2005, 11:51 PM
my goat is whining like a lil bitch...this sucks.

is this a critical flaw or no? i've heard and read things everywhere from "yes your rear dif will blow up" to "its just an irritating noise"...i imagine that its somewhere in between.

how bad/big of a deal is this?

mbar
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Sorry I was incomplete with the part numbers. The replacement differential that had the whining, knocking, and vibration was Part Number 92174633 Serial Number 2602.

mbar

Josh-'04GTO
01-28-2005, 08:43 AM
My car has been sitting at the dealership for over a month now. 3+ weeks for the rear, now nearly 3 weeks for the damn lube. Pretty frickin lame.... They've had the car longer than I have! :bomb:

04 LS1-MAN
02-01-2005, 09:37 AM
dam, that is a good dealership if the drags are on and the rear is shot. You need to bring them a box a donuts when you go back in.

Scott
02-02-2005, 08:14 PM
My car has been sitting at the dealership for over a month now. 3+ weeks for the rear, now nearly 3 weeks for the damn lube. Pretty frickin lame.... They've had the car longer than I have! :bomb:

Did they give a rental to drive? If not they, they have to. GM requires it on warranty repairs that can't be repaired in 1 day.

Josh-'04GTO
02-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Did they give a rental to drive? If not they, they have to. GM requires it on warranty repairs that can't be repaired in 1 day.

They offered one, but I don't want it. I only drive my Goat on nice days. I just want my friggin car back. Pontiac called today to ask if I was satisfied with my car...woman is probably regretting dialing my house now! I love the car, just can't believe they sell cars with no service parts available... Well over a month and still waiting... :banghead:

speedfrk
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
My car is in for a bunch of little stuff- headlight replacement (had water in it) exhaust leak, paint touch ups, tire vibration, etc. Well the mechanic decides he can replace the headlight without removing the bumper cover, and he ends up breaking it. So now they have to order a new bumper cover, paint it, etc. They had the car all week and didn't even try to put the healight in until friday. The rear end whine hasn't even been addressed since they haven't driven it yet. Idiots. I got the same call from Pontiac today, and let her know nicely that I wasn't at all happy. I have yet to send in the survey they sent me, but it won't be pretty.

Yellow04GTO
02-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Just bringing this back up again to check the status of those that have had the rearend replaced due to the whine... is the new rearend staying quiet??? Mine has developed the whine and I just wanted to see if it was worth it or not to take it in for a replacement.

Thanks!!

Dmitry
02-21-2005, 08:21 AM
i dont think i have the whine.. at all but i might be retarded and not know that my tire noise is actually the rear end whine

Yellow04GTO
02-21-2005, 01:25 PM
i dont think i have the whine.. at all but i might be retarded and not know that my tire noise is actually the rear end whine
I think you would be able to tell... it is very annoying!! Mine started around 2500 miles from about 50mph to 60mph and now I can hear it from about 45 to 70. It is pretty much in line with what the others have been experiencing.

So whats the word guys?? Are you still getting the noise after having the diff replaced??

Limited Goat
02-21-2005, 01:35 PM
My pinion seal was leaking the Dealer replaced it and now I have a major whine. So back to the dealer. By the way my car only has 840 miles on it.

Enginerd
02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Uh, there's way too many posts to read on this thread...but has anyone brought up the chance of the noise being pinion bearing whine? Usually they only whine under light throttle, but there's a chance we just have whiny bearings...

speedfrk
02-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Uh, there's way too many posts to read on this thread...but has anyone brought up the chance of the noise being pinion bearing whine? Usually they only whine under light throttle, but there's a chance we just have whiny bearings...
Mine only whines under part/light throttle. If I step down on the gas, it does go away. But at 50mph and light throttle, it is very annoying.

Ruinnations
02-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Mine screams at me on the interstate 70 to 95 mph. Gets on my nerves after about an hour. After four hours I am ready to explode. I think I will wait for the 05s to get a few miles on them and see if they have this problem also. If not then I will try to get the 05 part as a replacement.

Enginerd
02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Mine only whines under part/light throttle. If I step down on the gas, it does go away. But at 50mph and light throttle, it is very annoying.

Yours definitely sounds like a bad pinion bearing...

Limited Goat
02-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I took mine in on Tuesday for the Whine they called GM and they said it was normal for the GTO. My question is it did not do it until they changed the pinion bearing seal which was leaking.

rednred
02-23-2005, 08:36 AM
This is what I experienced from ~800-2500 when dealer replaced it. No noise since -- but only about 100 new miles :).

I think you would be able to tell... it is very annoying!! Mine started around 2500 miles from about 50mph to 60mph and now I can hear it from about 45 to 70. It is pretty much in line with what the others have been experiencing.

So whats the word guys?? Are you still getting the noise after having the diff replaced??

Enginerd
02-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I took mine in on Tuesday for the Whine they called GM and they said it was normal for the GTO. My question is it did not do it until they changed the pinion bearing seal which was leaking.

Well, I'd take it to another dealer, tell them your pinion bearing is whining and that you want it replaced...some dealers actually like making money :) . Or contact the customer care center and register a complaint. Normal or not, it's a flaw, and will most likely never get corrected unless the customer files complaints.

Dmitry
02-23-2005, 08:50 AM
i have a slight whine at 70+ only when lightly on the throttle... it dosnt bother me at all and i think it might just be a transmission whine. if anything gets bad i will surely be going to the dealer to get it all fixed up.

OldER Goat
02-23-2005, 11:47 AM
my replacement unit is a #92174633. we'll see how it breaks-in.
the whine began at 1,200 - it was replaced today at 1,800. I had the garden variety version - under load it was quiet but when cruising on the hwy (40 - 50mph+) it began to howl. I mentioned it when the goat was at the dealer for AC service - they called and said they'd ordered a replacement, so I said..."go for it" (but I think could have lived with it- assuming it didn't get any worse). I hope I made the right decision - and I'm thinkin I did - especially if its a new and improved unit with the larger pinion, etc.

dmaic
02-24-2005, 02:42 PM
They have ordered a new rear differential for my car. Looking at my service reciept, rearend looks to be $2794.98 and the labor on top of that Im sure.

dommer
03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
I have this same rear end issue. It took them almost 3 months to get the rear in, now I have been waiting almost 2 months for the gear oil. WTF?! Why the hell is it taking so long to get this damned oil? Is it so special that it needs to be ordered? I don't get it? Anyone have any insight into this?

By the way, I called a Pontiac customer service number and complained like hell to them my whole ordeal with the rear end. They said once it is resolved, I will most likely be getting some sort of "good will compensation". When I asked what that entailed, the rep. said it would most likely invlove 1 year's worth of oil changes and tire rotations. Not good enough! I want an new '05 for my troubles :banghead:

What pontiac customer service number are you referring to?

FutureGoatHearder
03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Damn, I have had this whining noise for two weeks now. 3,600 miles on my goat. Calling dealership in the morning.

LordGriNz
03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I get a slight whine from what seems to be the tranny, under throttle gets worse,
and if I push in the clutch it stops. Not sure what it is, I assume the tranny, but
not sure if its normal or not, nothing to compare it to.

PMajon
03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
I have the same issue. They replaced my diff a few days ago. The sound went away, but about 100 miles later it came back. It's much louder now, too.

crazywop112
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
My father's 04 GTO is having the same problem. Is there a number I can tell my dealer to call so that they can explain to the dealer that this whining noise is not normal.

Ingram4868
04-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Do you think synthetic gear oil would help?

RobertHammen
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
My replacement car has the whine (pulled it out of storage last Friday with 42 miles on it - now has 274). It's noticeable but not objectionable, yet. My dealership didn't want to even look at the car until I had 1500-2000 miles on it, which didn't seem right to me, so I emailed the guy who used to be (don't know if he still is) the GTO Brand Quality Manager, and this is what he said:

"Unfortunately rear differential
whine is present in most cars. It is by science when two opposing forces
meet and leave there is a slight noise set up. In the early days,
manufacturers were able to hide the amount of noise by surrounding the ring
and pinion in very heavy cast iron housings to help absorb and dampen the
noise. The under carriage was undercoated and sound proofed and
additional pads of carpeting material and jute were added. In vehicles
being built today weight is a large factor to reducing fuel consumption so
many things that used to be built into a car or truck are being eliminated
to reduce mass and increase fuel economy. What this comes down to is some
amount of gear whine is fairly normal. What becomes acceptable to some
customers is completely unacceptable by others. Some customers never
complain about the noise and some it drives them crazy.

If it was my personal car it wouldn't bother me because I understand the
physics of it and its no big deal. I also understand customers that expect
it to be quiet but it is very difficult to accomplish. The dealers do not
have the ability to adjust the backlash or another repair to the
differential unit. So the only repair is to replace it.

If it were my car I think would drive it a while to see how bad it really
is. Once the gears wear in the noise may increase slightly. If it gets
considerably more noisy then I would take it to a dealership and have them
test it with you and make the necessary repairs."

Probably what I'll do. Anyone ever had the whine and NOT have it get worse? Hope I'm not sitting waiting for weeks for a rear end/differential oil/friction modifier to get off a boat...

--Robert

Dmitry
04-07-2005, 01:59 PM
i still dont think i have this rear end whine people talk about.. i have a whine but its in the bgearbox it seems like and it goes away when i lift off the throttle... sooo who knows

phobos512
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Robert - the whine I've got hasn't changed in probably 5K mi. I read a post recently titled something like change your diff fluid NOW!! and it suggested that the whine went away by changing the fluid...That of course goes back to what you were talking about that some whine is normal, which is borne out by what I was told and what I have read. I am planning on getting a bunch of stuff (brakes, PS, trannie, and diff) flushed and filled in the not too distant future so I'll be happy to report back when that's all taken care of as to the effects if any.

nsofokles
04-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Did GM fix the problem or is it a hit and miss thing with the whine...I have not heard it in my car yet (3300 miles) but i want to address it ASAP if it will develop into a problem. I bought my car in January and it was deliverd at the dealer in Julyish of 04....

thanks

foster'sguy
04-08-2005, 08:29 PM
My diff was whining from day one. The original dealer told me to break the car in first, then let them know if it still made the same noise, which of course it did. I let it go for about 10,000 miles and then went to a dealer recommended by a member of this board. They replaced the diff, the power steering pump, bled the brake lines, and insulated the shifter, all on GM's dime. Diff is so quiet now that I'm hearing other noises, which this same service center is looking into like it was their own!

why2kmax
04-09-2005, 06:12 AM
can someone please post the pontiac customer service number. I know its in the manual but my car and manual have been sitting at the dealer for over a week and I need to talk to pontiac.

thanks
J

LordGriNz
04-09-2005, 06:14 AM
1-800-762-2737

why2kmax
04-09-2005, 06:18 AM
1-800-762-2737

thank you!!!!!

LordGriNz
04-09-2005, 06:21 AM
thank you!!!!!

I just looked it up in the Adobe file of the Manual, you should go download
a copy....Or I can send you it in Email, its 2.23MB

why2kmax
04-09-2005, 08:13 AM
didnt know that existed. Found it though and saved it. thanks again

PMajon
04-21-2005, 10:08 AM
I have the same issue. They replaced my diff a few days ago. The sound went away, but about 100 miles later it came back. It's much louder now, too.

Update: I brought my car in. They definitely noticed that the diff whine is much louder than before. They told me that they called Pontiac and will investigate the issue. If there is no solution then I will have to trade the car in. It is so loud that it actually gives me a headache on long highway trips.

PMajon
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Another update: The Pontiac dealership handed my car back to me with no immediate solution. They suggested that I contact GM / Pontiac and they provided a toll-free "customer relations" phone number. I spoke to a very nice woman that took my info and listened as I described the problem with the differential whine. I explained that I've had the car in twice regarding the same issue. The first time my diff was replaced because of the rear-end noise and after it was replaced it was even louder.

She contacted the dealership and arranged for the diff to be replaced again. I received a call from her later this afternoon and made sure that the dealer had called me to schedule a time to replace the diff again. They had, so she scheduled a follow-up call for next week some time.

At this point I'm waiting for a new differential which will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. I'll update you all after I've received the car back.

I have to say that dealing with GM on this issue was NOT at all like pulling teeth, as I expected it to be. I only imagine that they wait for certain issues to become very serious before taking action, otherwise people would be making unreasonable demands from the dealerships all the time.

RobertHammen
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I think I'm headed down Differential Replacement Road. Noticed it when I pulled the car out of storage (@42 miles). Whine if I let off the gas between 45 and 50. At about 700 miles it was between 45 and 57. Now, at 1064 miles it's between 40 and 62, and the howling is getting louder.

*sigh*

--Robert

cjlannoy
05-02-2005, 10:30 PM
At least that is minor compared to all the problems with the other GTO. Did you get the model?

flyellowjacket
05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
My diff was whining from day one. The original dealer told me to break the car in first, then let them know if it still made the same noise, which of course it did. I let it go for about 10,000 miles and then went to a dealer recommended by a member of this board. They replaced the diff, the power steering pump, bled the brake lines, and insulated the shifter, all on GM's dime. Diff is so quiet now that I'm hearing other noises, which this same service center is looking into like it was their own!

I decided to survey the local Pontiac service advisors/managers in advance so that maybe I would find a dealer that had experience fixing this problem as smoothly as the dealer that finally helped you. Unfortunately, all 5 dealers' advisors/managers claimed they had NEVER had any GTOs brought in with this problem. The dreaded we will have to look at it....... A couple did make an effort to look up TSBs whhile we were on the phone, but as we know, there isn't one right now on this specifically. One advisor did admit that there had been some issues with a power steering whine, but "of course that can't be fixed" (which I'm assuming that's why your dealer replaced the power steering pump?) I'm not sure where to head as none seemed to have the "looking into like it was their own" attitude.

RobertHammen
05-03-2005, 12:47 PM
At least that is minor compared to all the problems with the other GTO. Did you get the model?

Yep, sorry I missed you, need to send you a check.

Yeah, this is the only major problem with car #2 (it goes in on Thursday for a replacement for the peeling subwoofer grille, getting the left rear wheel replaced because someone (ordering dealership) must have pulled the tire and scratched/removed the finish (it's peeling); lastly, I have the wrong retainers for the floor mats (have the old-style, my car needs the new ones).

I am going to pull the speaker grille myself (don't want the dealership to mangle it). Hope the rim swap turns out OK (no vibration/mounting issues I hope). And I can handle putting in the correct clips.

I'm looking for a good dealership in the Milwaukee area with experience doing the differential swap. Who did yours?

--Robert

cjlannoy
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Everhart O'leary did mine in Janesville. They were very good to work with and as you know I got to know them very well.

flyellowjacket
05-09-2005, 07:59 AM

May I ask who is providing such great service? After my "survey", I took mine in for a test drive with the service manager and technician. They agreed the whine was very abnormal, but that they would still need to open it up and diagnose before GM would cover/authorize the warranty replacement. At a minimum I do not want it opened up and no diff fluid/FM available to put it back together while we wait for the replacement. But at best I would like mine treated like one of their own! (I also have the tranny whine from the front).

CDecker
05-09-2005, 08:05 AM
May I ask who is providing such great service? After my "survey", I took mine in for a test drive with the service manager and technician. They agreed the whine was very abnormal, but that they would still need to open it up and diagnose before GM would cover/authorize the warranty replacement. At a minimum I do not want it opened up and no diff fluid/FM available to put it back together while we wait for the replacement. But at best I would like mine treated like one of their own! (I also have the tranny whine from the front).

Wierd, my dealership told me that when they went to enter the service call and crack the diff cover to see what was going on, they were instructed that there were "No Servicable Parts Insdie - Replace Differential" and thats exactly what they did. This was back in Jan '05, maybe GM has found different ways to diagnose the problem, but I have about 1k on my new rear end with no problems yet.. :thumbs:

PMajon
05-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Update: I got my car back today. They took her in and replaced the diff again and got it back to me the same day. I received a note and the service manager told me to make sure to keep it under 55 MPH for the first 500 miles and to take it easy, basically break her in all over again.

On the way home I peaked at about 50 MPH. Normally I would hear the diff starting to ring pretty loudly at about this time, but she was as quiet as a mouse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

flyellowjacket
05-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Wierd, my dealership told me that when they went to enter the service call and crack the diff cover to see what was going on, they were instructed that there were "No Servicable Parts Insdie - Replace Differential" and thats exactly what they did. This was back in Jan '05, maybe GM has found different ways to diagnose the problem, but I have about 1k on my new rear end with no problems yet.. :thumbs:

You are correct! The dealer I originally went to did not even enter a repair order (said "we had a bonneville(?) that came in here with no fluid and they still made us diagnose and see if it could be repaired before we could order a replacement under warranty".) Today's disturbing news is that upon consultation with Dana, they are still evaluating why some replacements have no whine while others still do. A replacement backorder-like situation exists where my dealer says that they require them to ship the original before they will send the replacement?! Am I paranoid or is someone not paying the bills (my dealer, GM)? Plus availability date is unknown? If you have been holding off, you might want to get in line now.

mrdoc442
05-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Great news, except for the hassle. Might want to take great pains to properly season the new rear end gears.

Doc

speedfrk
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
I got mine back today from having the new diff put in- nice and quiet. Apparently all the diffs are coming from tech assist. pre tested now. Thye also reprogrammed the gauges, wet-sanded and buffed the paint for acid rain damage, replaced and welded something on the exhaust system to get rid of an exhaust leak and put 4 new tires on to try to get rid of the vibration in the steering wheel at hwy speeds. Oh yeah- 2 power steering pumps later and the whine is also fixed. The exhaust is a little better but not totally fixed, and the new tires didn't help. This car is an excercise in frustration for me. It has been in the shop for a month out of the 4 months I have owned it and GM wonders why people buy Japanese cars.

GRBeav
05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
It started out as a steady hum but as I put miles on my car it got louder and it makes the most noise when I am on long trips and at constant 70+mph speeds.
Hello Doc:
I have had the rear end whine since day one 127 miles on car I leased. the dealer replaced the unit and it was the same thing all over. They ordered a third unit and said that Pontiac tech had some units that were set up by Dana that unit was installed and was the worst of the lot. The dealer had tech reps and engineers look it over and they changed the fluid in the unit and it was worse than ever. I now have the second unit back in the car and it still howls at me and they tell me that's all they can do. I can let GMAC buy the car back and take a 5000 dollar bath.

George in Ohio

Marty C.
05-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Hello Doc:
I have had the rear end whine since day one 127 miles on car I leased. the dealer replaced the unit and it was the same thing all over. They ordered a third unit and said that Pontiac tech had some units that were set up by Dana that unit was installed and was the worst of the lot. The dealer had tech reps and engineers look it over and they changed the fluid in the unit and it was worse than ever. I now have the second unit back in the car and it still howls at me and they tell me that's all they can do. I can let GMAC buy the car back and take a 5000 dollar bath.

George in Ohio

Is that a lemon law issue? You say a 5000 bath? Does that mean you lose on the buy back?

Greenstealth
05-29-2005, 06:05 AM
My rear has been whining like a pig for the last month. I havent seen any other 05 owners with this problem yet but my local service manager is having me bring the car in on thursday and they are going to open the rear and look around i guess.

canamjohn
05-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I have an 05 with rear end whine between 43 to 50 MPH, Had it since it was new, have 600 miles now ,still the same. Did the royal Purple change and still the same. Factory oil looked just fine. Any other speed the car is very quiet inside. If it dont get worse I will wait a few years then have GM fix it.

BriscoCounty
05-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I have an 05 with rear end whine between 43 to 50 MPH, Had it since it was new, have 600 miles now ,still the same. Did the royal Purple change and still the same. Factory oil looked just fine. Any other speed the car is very quiet inside. If it dont get worse I will wait a few years then have GM fix it.

Pretty much the same here, 40 - 55, but worse from 45 - 55. Before or after that, not a sound, very strange. Started doing it at 300 miles, and now have 1600. I'm waiting for first oil change then take it in and complain, see what they say (although I'm sure I'll get the "its normal" crap).

RobertHammen
05-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Pretty much the same here, 40 - 55, but worse from 45 - 55. Before or after that, not a sound, very strange. Started doing it at 300 miles, and now have 1600. I'm waiting for first oil change then take it in and complain, see what they say (although I'm sure I'll get the "its normal" crap).

Just a question, does your car whine when you're on the gas, or coasting? Mine only does it when coasting, from 42-62 mph and it seems to be getting louder. Heard it when I pulled my replacement car out of storage at 42 miles, now have nearly 1600...

--Robert

BriscoCounty
05-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Just a question, does your car whine when you're on the gas, or coasting? Mine only does it when coasting, from 42-62 mph and it seems to be getting louder. Heard it when I pulled my replacement car out of storage at 42 miles, now have nearly 1600...

--Robert

Mine does it only when I'm on the gas. Worse case is going a steady 50 up a hill. Going down same hill with foot off the gas, no sound, but going up a hill, like the 2 mile one near my house, gets real obnoxious. With windows down and radio on, not too bad, really don't notice it. But, had some cool weather the other day, light rain, then with the windows up, any time I'm on the gas between 45 - 55, very noticeable and irritating.

Greenstealth
05-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Mine does it only when I'm on the gas. Worse case is going a steady 50 up a hill. Going down same hill with foot off the gas, no sound, but going up a hill, like the 2 mile one near my house, gets real obnoxious. With windows down and radio on, not too bad, really don't notice it. But, had some cool weather the other day, light rain, then with the windows up, any time I'm on the gas between 45 - 55, very noticeable and irritating.

I have the same exact symptoms. I can hear it at about 45-55 in higher gear like 4th when rpms are down and the engine isnt drowning the noise out. It also seems to happen when my foot is on the gas pedal.

flyellowjacket
06-01-2005, 06:04 PM
You are correct! The dealer I originally went to did not even enter a repair order (said "we had a bonneville(?) that came in here with no fluid and they still made us diagnose and see if it could be repaired before we could order a replacement under warranty".) Today's disturbing news is that upon consultation with Dana, they are still evaluating why some replacements have no whine while others still do. A replacement backorder-like situation exists where my dealer says that they require them to ship the original before they will send the replacement?! Am I paranoid or is someone not paying the bills (my dealer, GM)? Plus availability date is unknown? If you have been holding off, you might want to get in line now.

I guess I was paranoid. Got a call today from parts(?) that my new differential was IN?! No exchange process to take place. Bring her in tomorrow and might get her back tomorrow!

Oh4GTO
06-08-2005, 11:39 PM
It might be normal..........please dont bad mouth me. Ive owned quite a few GM and Ford cars that had whining diffs. They were all SUVs though. Expedition, Denali, and Excalade. My dad also own a car lot so I get to drive a lot of different cars. A lot of the domestic cars do it. None for the imports. My car does it too but I pay no mind since Ive heard this plenty of times. Maybee thats what a really beefy rear diff is supposed to sound like..lol.

Doc GTO
06-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Hello Doc:

George in Ohio

Make sure then installed the new 05 diff in it. If the problem can't be solved then file under the lemon law.