LS1GTO Forums banner

Opti-Coat 2.0

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Spooky_pitboss 
#1 ·
Just heard about this in the wheels forum where some suggested putting it on new wheels to keep them nice.
I'm considering doing this if for no other reason to keep the polished lip looking good on the wheels I just ordered.

My question is, this is a 20oz tube. Is this enough to do the whole car and wheels?

Anyone use this stuff and have any input on it? I've watched a few youtube clips on it, but nobody says how much is needed for a whole car. I'm thinking one tube should do it...

For $68 shipped it seems reasonable.

#3 ·
I have it. Read the instructions before you use it. Especially the red lettering
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

And it is only 20cc, not oz. That is about .7 oz. And yes, if you use it correctly it should last for at least a few cars. Slammin86 is the "expert" here on it, so far all I have used it for have been my new wheels, and about to coat my wifes car headlights that are yellowing again.

#4 ·
Yeah what am I thinking, a bottle of soda isn'teven 20oz LOL
Sorry I've had the flu the past few days.

Thanks for the heads up, maybe Slammin can comment. Good to know it will do a few cars.

#5 · (Edited)
LoL, I was about to say...20...OZ?! I bet that set you back a bit.

Yeah, it would be plenty to cover the car as well as the wheels...and then some. You barely want to see OC on the paint/wheel when applying. Just enough to see a light "film" for lack of a better term. (Edit: Yes, you can use OC on polished wheels. I've done it a few times).

Make sure everything is stupid clean and to knock down any high spots that don't flash at the same time as everywhere else.

Good luck!

#6 ·
For the best results you'll want to take your wheels off, use Sonax to clean them inside and out, do an IPA wipe down, dry rag wipe down, and then apply the coat to the spokes and barrels. Don't skimp out and just do the spokes.

#7 ·
Wheels are not even here yet, being shipped. No better time then while brand new.
This is the whole reason for me looking into this. Its just a bonus that I can do the whole car too. Yellow gets the black streaks that Hockeyman talked about in his thread. I had to claybar the car to get it looking right again. What sux is I spent a week detailing the car last month. I guess I need to figure out how to strip off all the wax now.

#8 ·
I guess I need to figure out how to strip off all the wax now.
That's easy. I use 3oz Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss in a foam cannon with 3oz of APC and the rest, hot water. Hose it down, let it sit for about 4-5 minutes and wash everything off. Then wash with two bucket method as usual.

You can do basically the same thing in a bucket if you don't have the super fun soap/product/money waster foam cannon.

#9 ·
The "small" tube will do the car several times. I am on my second tube. One tube will go a long long way. Just make sure the surface is clean and contaminant free before applying.

So far this has held up great on everything including wheels and headlights. DO NOT use it on the windshield if you plan to use windshield wipers. I learned this the hard way on my civic.

When you apply it you use a very small amount and put it on thin. You should get the hang of it pretty quickly.

I found that the foam applicator pad micromarred my black paint, but on the red civic and the red camry nothing was noticed. I used a microfiber pad on the GTO which soaked up a little more product.

If you have any specific questions I can try to help you.

#11 ·
#12 ·
New wheels... be here tuesday. Apply before or after mounting the tires??

#15 ·
Thanks brah

#16 ·
Might be a stoopid question, but is this stuff safe on chrome? I picked up very clean tsw nogaros this weekend and since chrome can be high maintenance I thought this may be good protection.

And another noob question, do you apply any wax over this? I would think with this on the car you don't get that depth you do with a good wax and polish.

#17 ·
Chrome shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure whatever surface is clean and contaminant free.

You can apply product over it BUT there really is no need to. Keep in mind that opticoat creates a very slick surface that resists things sticking from it. It has been said that this also shortens the life of something that you apply on top of it. Chances are after you see it on your car you will not want to try to top it anyway.

#19 ·
I paid about $60-65 for a tube. Others have stated its more than enough to do an entire car AND wheels. FYI.

I bought it mainly for the wheels, but plan to do the whole car also.

#21 ·
Should the car have 2 coats done back to back or are you talking about a 2nd application later down the road?

#22 ·
If you'd like to do more than one coat, you should coat, 24 hour cure time, 2nd coat. You want to do the second coat while the paint is still perfectly clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.