LS1GTO Forums banner

Coolant Leak

846 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Silvah Goat 
#1 ·
Hi All-

Strange issue with the Goat. It's important to note that I have not driven the car since mid November(roughly 2 months). She's been sitting on a trickle charger and under a car cover in the garage for the winter months.

I go to the garage multiple times throughout the week to take a look at my baby and polish her in my free time. Last week, walked into the garage and noticed a rather large puddle of coolant directly under the skid plate, approx .25-.5 quart) seemingly leaking from directly above the skid plate. Jacked her up and removed the skid to find more fluid sitting on the top side of the skid, but was unable to pinpoint where exactly the leak was coming from. I know a lot of this will be speculation until im able to take the car in for a pressure test, but has anyone seen anything like this while a car is simply in storage? Overflow tank has plenty of coolant in there, but im certainly afraid to drive her too far knowing there is an active leak in the cooling system somewhere.

Thoughts? Action items? TIA

#2 ·
could be coming from anywhere in the cooling system, honestly. check all hoses, plastic side tanks.

there's only a handful of hoses/pipes, the water pump, surge tank, and the radiator itself.

i really don't think it's ever been cold enough for anything REALLY bad to happen, if you know what i mean, unless your coolant isn't mixed right.

#3 ·
Thanks Noth, I see youre in a similar climate as myself, sure sucks having 5 months of ice and shit to deal with!

I do a dexcool/de-ionized water 50/50 mix for the coolant. Just thought this was super weird seeing as how the car hasn't been driven in so long.

Should I be afraid to drive the thing i.e. get it flatbedded to the operating room?

#4 ·
I would be looking at where the hose meets the water pump first.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, Im gonna try to get someone over with a pressure tester so I don't have to drive her anywhere. Thank you all as always for the quick feedback and thoughts

#9 ·
Thanks Firehawk, i did not realize they rent these out. The issue there is that i have an Aeroflow coolant overflow tank and the fitting size is different from OEM. Ill call up a local parts store and see if they rent these with multiple fittings.

#10 ·
Aaah ok... Well the kits from autozone and advanced have multiple OEM fittings and there is one piece that is adjustable.

I got a kit from advanced one time and of course the fitting i needed was missing. I used the adj fitting. It worked but would eventually pop out making a loud boom noise with coolant spraying every where...... Being I was highly concentrated and focused on locating a leak it scared the hell of me. I hate to admit this but it happened 3 times. Lol

#12 ·
Understandable! If I heard a loud BOOM while i was under the car Id probably freak out too. Thanks guys-

#13 ·
I was programming a new key while working under the hood. Knew every ten minutes it was going to honk...got me every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.