LS1GTO Forums banner

Application for LEGAL tint in New Jersey - DOCTOR needs to sign off

43K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  MannyLobo 
#1 ·
not sure if you guys realized this but it could be legal if you have a doctor sign off on the application!

sensitive skin? i dont know im going to ask my DR though. It's definitely worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DMV description

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/sunscreening.htm

The application

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/MVC-Form_MR-15.pdf

Sun-screening for medical reasons
RELATED LINKSForm MR-15: Request for Medical Exemption
to Apply Vehicle Sun-screening [pdf]
Due to certain medical conditions, some drivers may need to have the windows of their vehicles tinted or "sun-screened" in a way that is not legal for other drivers. This page explains how to certify your need for sun-screening and get a "medical exemption card" from MVC for a specific vehicle.
First you need a copy of Form MR-15: Request for Medical Exemption to Apply Vehicle Sun-screening [34k pdf]. You may also request this form by phone at (609) 292-7500 ext. 5032.
A licensed physician must answer the questions on the form and sign it
Completed forms may be faxed to (609) 292-7504 or mailed to Medical Fitness Review Unit, P.O Box 173 , Trenton , NJ 08666-0173
Within 3-6 weeks, MVC will mail you a "medical exemption card" that authorizes you to have specially sun-screened windows. The card is only valid for one driver and one vehicle, both of which are specified on the card
Sun-screening businesses are required to check your "medical exemption card" before applying sun-screening that is not permitted under ordinary circumstances. All window tints must meet New Jersey guidelines to pass inspection. For your convenience, MVC maintains the following list of licensed tinting facilities:

Car N Shine of America Inc
71 Sherman Place
Garfield, NJ 07026
(973) 546-3922

KB Graphics & Maur
254a Route #37 East
Toms River, NJ 08753
(732) 244-9098

Richard E. Richie Enterprises Inc.
930 Lacey Road
POB 95
Forked River, NJ 08731
(609) 693- 0740

See less See more
#2 ·
If you suffer from photosensitivity then you keep your tint. End of story. I think Roy Orbison suffered from that and that was why he always wore sunglasses.

#3 ·
lulz not gonna happen....I'm pretty sure that not only do you have to be photosensitive...but you have to be extraordinarily so with either of 2 skin conditions....1 being albinism, and the other being something called xeroderma pigmentosum which means if sun hits u that u basically are for sure going to get skin cancer.

#5 ·
hhmm im sure there is a way around it

#6 ·
scammers!:secret:

#7 ·
i need a way around it im gettin pulle dove rleft and right and i have 35%!!!!

#13 ·
They're pulling you over for 35% spelling and punctuation compliance.

#8 ·
Sucks for you guys. It use to be that way in Missouri. You needed an optomitrists note to give to the DMV. My wife just happened to work for one. LOL. But too many docs were just passing them out and they started getting cautious. Since then, the laws have changed and you can go 35% ont he fronts now.

#9 ·
Addition to: Application for LEGAL tint in New Jersey - DOCTOR needs to sign off

Updating this info.....

I have photophobia and had to have all my car windows tinted. And believe me, the dark tints I have, aren't enough. Well, at least on the windshield, that is. Here are some things I found on Wikipedia. I hope it helps someone that finds themselves on this site. I always say, get your condition documented and the tint card lasts about 4 years. If you can, make multiply copies of what the doctor enters, have him sign them (5) and submit them every time you have to renew. An you can get the card as soon as 2 weeks. I sent it to West Deptford and I think the return time was about a week or some. It was the fasted I mailed something in to DMV. Faster than doing your registration and getting it back!

Point of information: One for each car. Keep only the original. Ridgefield Police detained me for 10 minutes because I handed a photo copy. If you make a copy, go to staples and have the card copied, laminated or at least notarized. If you should get a ticket and have a tint card, but not on you. When you go to court, just bring your registration, insurance, driver's license and the tint card. As long as you have the card, you will be ok. I passed inspection with my tints. I don't think it matters how dark they are. but, it is at your own risk! Oh yeah, if you have a place that isn't on the list they DMV uses, make sure if you get dark tints, it is safe for driving in dark areas. I think I have 50 or 40% is just enough to see up in dark areas of Mahwah and Ramsey. So if you live in Hackensack, Englewood Teaneck or those areas with lights, that will be enough to see at night. But I urge you to convert your lights to HID's and LED's so you can see them on the road, yourself! I know someone that has 5% and that is too dark for me, but great for his eyes!

1: poly morphous light eruption
Polymorphous light eruption is an itchy rash caused by sun exposure in people who have developed a sensitivity to sunlight (photosensitivity). The rash usually appears as red, tiny bumps or slightly raised patches of skin.

2: persistent light reactivity
Chronic actinic dermatitis

3: actinic rectuloid
Chronic actinic dermatitis (also known as "Actinic reticuloid," "Chronic photosensitivity dermatitis," "Persistent light reactivity," and "Photosensitive eczema"[1]:37) is a condition where a subject's skin becomes inflamed due to a reaction to sunlight or artificial light.

4: porphyrins
Porphyrins are a group of organic compounds, many naturally occurring. One of the best-known porphyrins is heme, the pigment in red blood cells; heme is a cofactor of the protein hemoglobin.

5: solar urticaria
Solar urticaria (SU) is a rare condition in which exposure to ultraviolet or UV radiation, or sometimes even visible light, induces a case of urticaria or hives that can appear in both covered and uncovered areas of the skin. It is classified as a type of physical urticaria.

6: lupus erythematosus
Lupus erythematosus is a category for a collection of diseases with similar underlying problems with immunity (autoimmune disease).[1] Symptoms of these diseases can affect many different body systems, including joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, heart, and lungs.
Another condition:

Photophobia:
Photophobia is a symptom of abnormal intolerance to visual perception of light,[1] sometimes additionally defined by abnormal or irrational fear of light,[2] or by presence of actual physical photosensitivity of the eyes.[3]

Patients may develop photophobia as a result of several different medical conditions, related to the eye or the nervous system.
Photophobia can be caused by an increased response to light starting at any step in the visual system, such as:
Too much light entering the eye. Too much light can enter the eye if it is damaged, such as with corneal abrasion and retinal damage, or if a pupil(s) is unable to normally constrict (seen with damage to the oculomotor nerve).
Overstimulation of the photoreceptors in the retina
Excessive electric impulses to the optic nerve
Excessive response in the central nervous system
Common causes of photophobia include migraine headaches, cataracts, or severe ophthalmologic diseases such as uveitis or corneal abrasion.[4]

Attachments

#10 ·
I have an optomologists note in the console. Haven't had to use it though. 20% all around here.

#11 ·
I have forms for dark windows here in Louisiana, just hadn't got the nerve to ask my optometrist to sign it yet...

On a side note... I actually had the forms printed and in my old Trailblazer SS (wrapped 20% with 5% on top of it plus 35% on windshield) and got pulled over.... it measure 0% on a meter, haha... Told the state police I was waiting for my dr. appointment that week so he could sign them... Got me out of a ticket, lol!! Hell, I need to put them in the GTO (5% all around) so when I get pulled over, I'll use the same excuse again!

#12 · (Edited)
im going to get the medical exemption form and fill out with my doctor...i already got 15% in front side windows and back windows since back windows any % is okay (no front windshield) i have sensitive skin and actually my face gets red from the sun and i work overnight 3rd shift so when i come out is 8am the sun really bothers me...

Nissan rogue 2014 so inspection in 2019 but at 2017 wont have the car since its leased!

#14 ·
check, some states once you have this exemption, the vehicle is considered a medical device and only the prescribed driver can use it.

This may also be urban legend, I have never verified, but I could certainly see this being an issue if your wife was driving the vehicle and a cop who is having a bad day.

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.