LS1GTO Forums banner

pics of Vararam please

7K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  jensamin 
#1 ·
I know you guys have a bunch of different ways of putting your own twist on this system. please post pics of the mods you made to it. Also can I get a pic that shows how the shroud needs to be cut? I am going to have new Era install it when they do my tune but wanted to make sure it was done in a way that gets the most power from it. Thanks Guys

#2 ·
Only way I can describe on how to trim the fan shroud is;
- I first disconnected the electrical plugs and removed it altogether.
- After the shroud was out (for precautionary measures), I removed the fans from the plastic shroud.
- Then I placed the shroud on a table saw and cut off 1" from the top in a nice, straight line...<<--this method removed one of the electrical connection mounts and the top clip mount for the radiator cover from the shroud, but it wasn't a big deal.

You can use a dremel and cut the top of the shroud while it's still installed, but I didn't want to take a chance by accidentally hitting the radiator underneath. Besides, I wanted a clean-straight line, and the table saw worked perfectly.

Removing the shroud wasn't as easy as I thought because the lower radiator hose was blocking it from lifting out. To keep the hose from being damaged from removal/installation, I put a large flat & thin piece of plastic in front of it for protection, then the shroud lifted out with a "little more" ease. You'll see exactly what I mean when if and you're attempting to remove it.

#5 ·

#8 ·
as always zero to add

#6 ·
I used a dremel with it in the car and just covered everything I didn't want covered in hot plastic with rags. Lift it and use a wooden block to keep it lifted up. This will keep it clear of the radiator in case you do go too deep. I used a straight edge taped to the fan shroud to make a straight cut. After that the hardest and most time consuming part was measuring and cutting the radiator cover to be a nice tight fit.

#7 ·
I used a hack saw, didnt have a dremel and lifted it as much as i could outta the engine bay. You cant see it when the trays in anyways.

#9 ·
thanks for the tips. Some say it rubs the hood and others say no. what mistakes are people making when it rubs? Is it a lack of quality control from vararam? when I insulate it should I insulate the whole bottom of ther tray? As far as the pipe insulation used to make a seal what size is that?

#10 ·
For me the issue with the filter rubbing the hood was pretty simple once I figured it out. I kept thinking it was the taller end of the filter at the back that was rubbing/causing the hood to shut harder. It ended up that it was the front of the filter that was hitting. I kept thinking the tray was sitting up too high but there was nothing I could do to get it lower.

The fix? I trimmed about 1/4 off the silicone hose on the end that connects to the throttle body (I had to trim it there because of how the PCV connector is joined to that tube). Once I trimmed it that allowed the filter to sit about 1/4" closer to the engine- no more rubbing and the hood opens and closes like factory.

If I had figured that out in the beginning it would have saved me at least a 1/2 hour of work.

#24 ·
I'm installing mine now, I hope to make it look just like that. I bought a spare radiator cover and a spare fan shroud so I can keep the originals intact. They should arrive tomorrow so I can finish the install. The VR tray is insulated (Reflectix) and it is fitting well and the hood opens and closes just fine. I hope to be able to cut the radiator cover cleanly like yours and make in a nice looking install. I still need to install the foam seal but that should be pretty straightforward. I need to find some trim to cover the cut edge of the top cover.

I may need to buy another red hose from Vararam as I kind of hacked up the one that came in the package. It fits and will work, but the cut edges on the throttle body aren't real smooth and I'd like a cleaner look. I'd also like to install the PCV outlet into the backside of the filter assembly. Having it come out of the red hose is kind of a hinky install and the brass barb is too much in the air flow and is kind of bumping up against the back edge of the MAF.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Thanks that is just what i was looking for. I take it you used a drimmel wheel to cut the cover?

#14 ·
No dremel.... im pretty nasty with a hacksaw blade

#15 ·
wow impressive

#16 ·
also that molding around the shroud is that the same stuff the sell for car door edges?

#17 ·
Yup

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#18 ·
I'd certainly put either choice of the OTRCAI further up my mod list if I didn't have to go cutting up -any- parts. Buying my GTO with 13k on it in Nov. grants me a pristine Radiator cover and shroud, and I've let to convince myself to butcher it.

With that said, I saw several GTOs when I was shopping for mine - a few missing a radiator cover. I always assumed they had been wrecked and some lazy bastage just didn't want to purchase a new radiator cover to make it whole again. After reading these threads, I realize that they were probably de-modded cars, but still my assumptions probably mimic other people who dont know better, so if I were to do this, I'd store my rad. cover away to put back should I ever want to part with her.

#19 ·
I just bought a spare one to cut up. Problem solved. As for the rad shroud... thats a diffrent story

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#20 ·
does anyone know the part number for the cover or even if they make it still?

#27 ·
gotcha ima order one today then...but when you put the radiotor cover back on wont that cut some air flow from your front grille

#28 ·
The grill area doesn't feed the Vararam much (if at all) anyway. It gets air from the hood gap and the hood scoops. You can always cut the radiator top cover in such a way so as to leave a gap between the edge of the cover and the front of the VR tray so air from the grills can reach the tray. I'd venture a guess that almost all of the air going in the grills is going through the radiator and not up to the intake. Also, if you don't seal the tray to the hood well, it will pull in (hot) air from the engine compartment too.

#37 ·
This is the best way to look at it. When the engine is breathing heavily around 7k, i dont want to limit the fresh air sources. I know for a fact that air is pulled through the scoops since the filter gets dirty right under them in the shape of the scoops, and i am sure that the hood gap is a good source of air too, but i would never try to seal off the air in front of the radiator and under the shroud from getting up and in. The highest pressure areas will flow to the source of vaccuum in proportionate amounts, so seal it on the back/top and let it do its thing with those three sources of fresh air.

Little project I put together a couple/few years ago:

Dremel to cut both the radiator shroud and radiator cover, with door edge guard around the radiators cut edge and yes, you still use the plastic push pins: that's what holds the radiator cover on. Just reuse the OEM ones, if you don't have them I doubt the local hardware store will have the exact ones, but may be close. The pipe insulation is 1/2 x 6 x 1/2 pipe insulation I picked up at Lowe's. The underside of the tray is insulated with insulation tape.
Inspiration for my setup back in the day. Mine didnt come out quite as clean (not sure many could!), but i cut mine in a similar fashion.

#33 ·
here is a question. The guy who installed mine did not keep the plastic push pins for my radiator cover. does anyone know what size they are? I think an auto hardware store will have them.

#35 ·
Order them from Gene at GM Parts House. Sponsor to the left <<<<

#34 ·
Little project I put together a couple/few years ago:

Dremel to cut both the radiator shroud and radiator cover, with door edge guard around the radiators cut edge and yes, you still use the plastic push pins: that's what holds the radiator cover on. Just reuse the OEM ones, if you don't have them I doubt the local hardware store will have the exact ones, but may be close. The pipe insulation is 1/2 x 6 x 1/2 pipe insulation I picked up at Lowe's. The underside of the tray is insulated with insulation tape.

#36 · (Edited)
Just finished my Vararam Install completely except for the wording on the foam :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.