LS1GTO Forums banner

Please critique my burnout

4K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  randy555 
#1 ·
I know I did a lot of things wrong. I had a hard time seeing how far back I was going and got front tires in the water. I left it in drive. Went from 1-2-3 as you can hear in the video. Wondering if I should put it in 1st then shift it to 2nd and leave it there. These are Nitto NT05-Rs. Supposed to heat them up really good. Was this enough ? Still cant dead hook at all. Towards end of day I tried stomping on it a lot sooner and it just spun like crazy on me through most of 1st. Even on good starts it still spins pretty damn hard on the 1-2 shift.

I tried putting it in 2nd on one burnout but it got sideways on me and I wasnt able to heat them as well resulting in a worse 60 foot.

I was brake TQ to about 1800 RPM. Didnt try a lower RPM but perhaps I should have.

Had my tires at 22 PSI all night. I thought I remembered hearing that was the sweet spot for these tires but I should have tried lower I suppose. Was just trying to get used to it and not add too many variables.

#3 ·
LOL yeah AWD is sure nice to have. My Porsche I can punch it in the rain and it gets sub 5 second 0-60s all day long no matter what I do.

#4 ·
Try around 17psi hot for the tires. My mickeys and Nittos hooked well around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#6 ·
I don't understand why you drive around the water and then reverse back into it?

I simply drive through the water until I have the back tyres sitting in the middle of the water.
I then engage the line lock and bring the revs up and let the gearbox shift through to third gear.
Once in third gear I let the revs climb to just short of the redline.
Once close to the redline I release the line lock and allow the car to drive it's self out of the water.

Using 265/40/18 Mickey Thompson radials I have so far run a few 1.52x 60'.

#7 ·
my opinion is you are pulling too far out of the water....stay in the water on the concrete. leave in drive. You want as much wheel speed as possible and if in some water it will spin straighter and be easier on your tire life. Get the tires rolling good and then lift off the brake and let it spin out of the water slightly till it starts to grab a bit then lift.

Ultimately I think you'll need a dedicated drag radial like a Hoosier or MT ET Street radial to get a decent hook w/ the torque your car has

#8 ·
Backing into the water keeps from dragging water onto the starting line with the front tires if you don't have skinnies. I would not do a burnout with the tires in the water. You want to pull barely out of the water to where it is still wet, but not a puddle. I have my best traction leaving nearly from idle (barely load the suspension at 1000 or 1200 rpm) and rolling into the throttle when you get the green.

#9 ·
That is what I thought I head read before about the water box. Next time I plan to use lower PSI and will try some runs at 1000-1200 s well.

Really wondering on the gears to be in. 1-2 or leave it in drive and let it go to third.

#10 ·
I do my burnout in 3 and just leave it in 3 to race also. One less thing to remember, put it in 3 and forget it.

#12 ·
Why 3rd ? What is the 3-4 shift point for the A4 anyway ? I didnt really think about that. I dont think it was shifting out of 3rd.

#16 ·
Appeared to me that he backed into the water far enough to get the fronts wet anyhow. Burnout was way too short. 10 seconds on the first at a minimum.

#17 ·
Yeah I did a little, the guy guiding people to the box was not very good. Way to short..... that is good to know. I figured since it went from 1st to third it was pretty long. Probably explains why I cant get these tires to give me anything better then a 1.85 60 foot so far. I know MT dont need much of a burnout but you also cant really drive those to the track like mine. I will try to do a longer one next time. Would you go from 1-2 on the burnout or leave in 3 as well ?

#18 ·
I just timed the video and it seems like it was about 9-10 second s :dunno:

#20 ·
Your burnout was about 9 seconds or so, but your rpm was low during most of it. You need to hold the rpm's at 5,500+ rpm for around 5 seconds or so if you want to really heat the tires up.

#19 ·
go around and back into the waterbox, just your rears.
Do a quick spin to get them wet all the way around and pull out.
Stop and do your burnout 5-10 seconds at about 60-70mph, roll out while still spinning and do a dry hop to test them before you get to the line.

I had my NT05R's at 15-16 hot and would hook from 5500 leaving off a 2step. (450whp)
Also, they are just as good as the ET Streets and are equally as bad/good driving in bad weather.

#21 ·
good info, thank you. So it seems my air was too high at 22 PSI . I'll try 16 next time and see how it does. I bought them because I had heard they were just as good but with these you can get 12K miles out of them. A lot easier to just drive to the track and not mess with tires when I am there.

My biggest problem is getting them to hook from a hard launch. Even my 1.85 60 wasnt close to dead hooking, had to be careful not to spin off the line. I did the same burnout and then almost floored it and got a 2.2 60 spinning like crazy for a long time. :bomb:

#23 ·
Tried lower pressure and it didnt help me at all. Tried 20 and 18 . Went back to 22. Still couldnt do better then a 1.85 :dunno: Having a hard time getting the RPMS to stay high. I am playing with shifting it manually from 1-2 but it didnt work that great half the time. Not sure what the problem is :dunno: Today it did something kind of wierd a few times. I'd get on it in 1st and it just kind of bogged while spinning, felt like a huge surging or something. I let off the brake a little and they they spun really well.

#25 ·
Yeah that does make sense lol, surprised I didnt think of that. Need to look into these line locks more.

#27 ·
wow, getting close to red line in 3rd is like 120 MPH ..... Seems high to me

#28 ·
Yeh, got to get those tyres nice and hot and sticky.

I'm only running 265/40/18 Mickey Thompson's on factory 18" wheels with rock hard Tein coilovers, these need to be very sticky or they spin baddly.
Currently my 60' times are in the low 1.5's.

#31 ·
I think my real problem last time out was I wasnt lifting up enough on the brakes to get it spinning as fast as it could have. Need more practice .. got to get back out there !

#32 ·
I have 275/40/17 mickey thompsons and i run 12psi in them. As stated above unless you have skinny go around and back up (but do not get front tires in water). You want as much wheel speed as you can so the car doesnt start to drift sideways. After my burn out i always do a dry hop because when you do a burn out it throw water in the fender wells which then drips on top of the tire. Hope this helps.

#35 ·
If there's big puddles of water, thats too much, have them sweep it out or move further up in the water box to get out of the puddle to avoid getting the water thrown up into the wheel wells and dragging it further up to the starting line for you and the next guy. Also before driving into the water box, pick a spot in the water box where the water is straight across so both wheels well end up on the edge of the water and not completely in it. This has worked well for us.

Kevin

#36 ·
2nd gear, 5 seconds, light on brakes and you'll be set. When i first started racing, i had a problem i could never do a good burnout, well it was because i was holding the brake too hard. Doh.

#37 ·
So start in 2nd ? I think I was holding brake too had as well. Whoops

#38 ·
Yes, if the rpm's seem to be hard to hold up at 6k and it seems like the engine is struggling..... Then let off the brakes a bit and the rpm's will shoot back up. The car may even start to inch forward which is fine... That means your applied brake pressure is good. It's not a bad thing to let the car go into 3rd in an auto as well. If your aggressive when you start your brake stand in drive, then your car will get into 3rd gear in no time.

#39 ·
You seem to have some decent exp @ this , we're did you learn this from lol

#41 ·
I thought you did a pretty good job!! I am like most everyone I have my wife stop me at the very edge of the water box so the back tires are just still in the very end of the water. I have a TH400 so I start in second gear bring the rpm way up I shift to Third and run it all the way threw. It didn't sound like you were hitting very high rpm's in your burnout I found that to make them stick you really got to spin the hell out of them at the higher Rpm. I release my linelock while in third let her rollout a little till I feel them try to bite and make the car jump.. That's what I do.. I have been told that My burnouts are a little excessive!!!

#44 ·
Thanks. It was going into 3rd too soon and caused RPMs to go low. I think I will try to do the whole thing in 2nd next time out. Just need to remember to let out on the brake a little more :)

What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.
I was thinking the front is still too low and the rear is kind of high. I have BC racing coil overs. I had the best luck with the softest settings. Tried setting the rear to 50% firm but it hurt my 60 foots.

#42 · (Edited)
Aside from getting the front tires wet,I don't really see anything wrong with the burnout.Only the first burnout of the day needs to be longer,every one after that only needs to be half as long.What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.

The BOM has coil overs,not dialed in yet.The PBM has Konis on the front set on soft....pause at 23 seconds to see the difference.I hope this helps:turbonaug

#46 ·
Aside from getting the front tires wet,I don't really see anything wrong with the burnout.Only the first burnout of the day needs to be longer,every one after that only needs to be half as long.What I do see is a suspension that needs to be dialed in though,the front is way to firm.....I would start there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_J65QwxZLg&list=UU3FSt2L28Jr9RWchMblaOAA&index=21

The BOM has coil overs,not dialed in yet.The PBM has Konis on the front set on soft....pause at 23 seconds to see the difference.I hope this helps:turbonaug

Those are very short/small burnouts.

Our Monaro would skate all over the track if I did such a short burnout.

#45 ·
I have always pulled slightly out of the box or stayed at the edge. If the track is very sticky, as you burn out you will feel the rear start to squat a little when the tires are ready. If not, 5-6 sec burnout is sufficient--right when you start to see smoke in your mirrors. Don't want to burn too long, or your compound will start to ball up and get greasy. Roll out of the burn and stage immediately, no stopping or dry hops in between.

#48 ·
1.5 with an M6 is impressive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.