LS1GTO Forums banner

NorCal Track Day

11K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  trexflyer02 
#1 · (Edited)
BUMP for 2014!

I think it would be fun to get a group together for a track day. I need to get back onto a road course and know there are others in the NorCal area that would like to track their cars as well. Since there are some options for tracks, dates, etc. I figured we should start a discussion.

For those that have never done one, track days are generally run by a track day group (Hooked on Driving, TrackMasters, etc.) or clubs (NASA, SCCA, PCoA, etc.). These groups rent the track and then charge a fee for each participant ($250-350 depending on the group, track, number of sessions, instruction, etc.). Events are typically broken into 30 minute sessions and divided between groups/classes based on experience (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, etc.). Generally you can expect to get 2-2.5 hours of track time over the course of the day.

The only requirements for participation is a SA 2005 or newer helmet and a well maintained car. Prior to the event you should perform a thorough tech inspection (check tires, brake pads/fluids, etc.) but no other modifications are required (unless you're driving a convertible).

There are three major tracks in NorCal: Thunderhill, Sonoma (Sears Point), and Laguna Seca.

Spots for track days at some tracks fill-up quickly, so it is best to plan ahead. Also, track days are rain-or-shine (and almost never give refunds if it rains), so the time of the year might be important for some. Most groups/tracks are available weekends, but others are often mid-week. Track days generally run from 8am-5pm and can be physically and mentally demanding, depending on the track I would recommend looking into a hotel for the night before/after (a 2.5hr drive to Thunderhill trying to make an 8am drivers meeting can make for a very long day).

So, questions for everyone... who's interested in doing a track day event? Which tracks are people interested in? When (season, day of week, etc.) would people like to have the track day? Is there any desire for a two-day event? What on-track experience do people have? Any comments/concerns about doing a track day?

-Todd...

See less See more
#49 ·
Sounds good; that day works well for me too. I'll send you some information on registration for that event.

It might also be fun to check-out the NASA event on either the 9th or 10th to see how a track day is run. It also looks like they are doing a "Hyperdrive" session some might be interested in:

A NASA membership is NOT required for this. Hyperdrive is intended for new drivers that do not want to commit to a full day (although anyone can sign up) . Drivers will receive a classroom session followed by an on track session. You will drive your own car with a NASA Instructor riding in the passenger seat. Knowledge of the flags and other on-track rules is NOT required. Our instructors will guide you every step of the way.
For those who can't make the 2/22 HoD date, don't worry... there will be others. Look at the schedule and propose an event that will work with you and we'll try to get a group together. From other's comments the NASA events will likely have good participation.

-Todd...

#53 ·
NASA posted pricing/run group information for the February 9-10th event (LINK).

One-Day HPDE-1 $195
One-Day HPDE-2 $179
One-Day HPDE-3 $195
One-Day HPDE-4 $179
Two-Day HPDE-2/3/4 $329

Hyperdrive - $99 (Saturday 2/9) *No membership required*
Flink, City Goat, Bill... are you planning on attending the NASA event at Sonoma on Feb 9-10th?

The NASA HPDE events require a NASA membership ($45 annual). There is a basic description of the NASA HPDE Run Groups. People who have never driven on track before would be in HPDE-1, those with some experience (point by passing) would likely be in HPDE-2. If you think you should be in HPDE-3 I'll leave that for you/NASA to determine (see this survey).

The Hyperdrive session is $99 ($45 NASA membership not required) and is being offered on Saturday, Feb 9th. The full HPDE-1 run group for a single day is ~$100 more (+$45 membership) for 3-4x more time on track.

Now that the pricing information is out for the NASA event, we might want to reconsider that weekend (one or two day) vs. the HoD event on Feb 22nd. The price for both is similar for the amount of time-on-track, but the NASA event is spread over two days. For those wanting a one day Sonoma track day at a minimal cost the NASA event is likely the best deal for beginning drivers.

Todd, we talked at the xmas party. I am also interested in the HoD event on Feb 22nd. I've taken the beginner and advanced sessions and been on a few passing days with NWARC at Pacific Raceway in the Seattle area.
Steve, great to see you post in the thread. The Feb 22nd HoD event looks like a good one for those who are available. As I said above, now that the NASA pricing/information is available we might want to consider that event. Would you be able to attend the NASA on Feb 9-10th?

I am thinking about the Nasa event on Sunday, Feb 10th...
One-day HPDE-1 group is available for Sunday and would be a great option. If there are people who want to do the Hyperdrive (only offered Saturday) there might be more people around the track that day. Would you be able to do a one-day on Saturday?

What are everyone's thoughts?

I've been flip-flopping on this the past few days... but my feeling right now would be for us to try and do the NASA event. Those who only wanted a single day can do that (on a weekend for less money than the other track days). Those who want more track time (at a similar cost to the HoD event) can do both days. For those who just want to get their feet wet there's the Hyperdrive option on Saturday as well.

If I do two days at the NASA event I'd probably not do the Feb 22nd HoD event (as a driver). If we have people who would prefer the HoD event I'd likely just do a one-day at NASA (Saturday or Sunday based on when more people would be going) so I can still do the HoD event.

-Todd...

PS - Everyone who is considering one of these February events... take a look at the tech inspection sheets. Nothing is too crazy, but it's just something to remember not to put-off until the last minute.

#51 ·
Todd, we talked at the xmas party. I am also interested in the HoD event on Feb 22nd. I've taken the beginner and advanced sessions and been on a few passing days with NWARC at Pacific Raceway in the Seattle area.

Steve

#52 ·
I am thinking about the Nasa event on Sunday, Feb 10th...

#54 ·
Checked out my gift certificate... its for HoD. I would be interested in the 2/22 Sonoma event and im sure it would be a great first track experience. I would also be interested in any HoD events at ThunderHill due to its proximity to Chico. I need to check the calendar and see what dates could work.

Only tentative at this point, but would prefer single day events on friday or saturday.

#56 · (Edited)
Great to know. HoD has a few events that should work well for you. I know I really want to get out to Thunderhill for a Saturday/Sunday event at some point this year.

What exactly do you get with the hyperdrive session? I might be able to do that Saturday instead of Sunday...
UPDATED: The Hyperdrive is a 45 minute "25mph" session with an instructor at lunch and a 20min "at speed" session with an instructor in the afternoon. It would be similar to the first session of a HPDE-1 track day with the addition of the lunch session. Passing will be very minimal, so mostly a lead-follow situation. The cost/time is higher than a HPDE-1, but is overall lower than a full HPDE-1 day. The nice thing about the 45min "25mph" session is you'll get a good understanding of the proper driving line (and Sonoma is a technical track). For this reason alone I'm considering doing it (in addition to the HPDE).

If you don't know if you want to do a HPDE, the Hyperdrive is a great way to get out on the track and get a feel for things. If you know you're interested in doing a track-day... I'd would start with at least the one-day HPDE-1 event. It's a little more expensive (total cost), but you'll learn much more over the course of the day. You'll be able to talk with the instructor between sessions and apply what you learn in the next session. It will also prepare you for solo driving (learning flags, etc.) that will likely not be done in the Hyperdrive. Also, 15-20min will fly by extremely quickly (6-8 laps). It's almost like making a single pass down the drag strip and calling it a day!

-Todd...

#55 ·
What exactly do you get with the hyperdrive session? I might be able to do that Saturday instead of Sunday...

#57 ·
Signing up for DE3 Sonoma Feb 9-10 right now. I'm 99.9% sure Andrew and Bill will be attending as well.

***To anyone attending NASA Events...I highly recommend getting your car tech inspected BEFORE the event. In the Northeast, NASA does it for you at the event free of charge...here in the Northwest they charged Snowairg and myself $30 each for a look-over.

#58 ·
Signing up for DE3 Sonoma Feb 9-10 right now.
Awesome! Looks like I need to start a list of who is attending what events...

I'm 99.9% sure Andrew and Bill will be attending as well.
That would be great... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to check-out their cars.

To anyone attending NASA Events...I highly recommend getting your car tech inspected BEFORE the event. In the Northeast, NASA does it for you at the event free of charge...here in the Northwest they charged Snowairg and myself $30 each for a look-over.
I would agree 100%. There are quite a few places that will do the tech... and getting it done before the event gives you the piece of mind that your car is ready for the track (rather than finding out that your brake pads need to be replaced the morning of the event).

For the new drivers I'll put together a quick list of the things you need to do (registration, tech, read-up on the rules, flags, etc.).

Todd...

#59 ·
Where can you get your car teched before the event?

#60 · (Edited)
NASA has a long rule book with specifics for HPDE:

How do I get my car inspected?
1. Please inspect your car closely before taking it to a tech shop.
2. Look over the various tech inspection stations and select one (note: see #11 below). They are listed in order of area code.
3. Do not show up at the shops without an appointment. They are very busy and may not be able to accommodate you.
4. If you choose to tech your car at the track, you must:
A - Pay the $40 late tech fee, and
B - Have your car ready for tech at 7:00 AM, whether you reregistered or not.​
5. NASA, SCCA, PCA, BMW, VARA, CSRG, IMSA, GA, and FIA road race cars may be exempt from tech inspection.
The vehicle's logbook must be presented to a tech inspector at the track. If the log book is not present, the vehicle must go through tech and you must pay the $40 tech at track fee. [Note: The vehicle MAY need to be inspected if the logbook notations indicate corrections are needed.]
6. Call early (2 weeks before the event is recommended). The inspection should take about 10 minutes, and it is free.
7. This is an important inspection, as it could save your life and you car from damage.
8. The tech shop will inspect your car using a tech sheet that they keep on hand. If you would like a copy of a Tech Inspection Form before hand, you may download one from the web site.
9. The authorized inspection locations are as follows: Tech Inspectors
10. The tech shops have the tech forms, however it is best to download one ahead of time:Tech Form
11. If you have a car with unmodified safety equipment, in particular seat belts, seat, seat mounting and no additional safety equipment, such as a roll bar, then you may have any auto shop* stamp your tech form. * “Any auto shop” means an auto shop with a BAR registration number. In other words, if you haven’t added any safety equipment, nor modified safety items such as the seat and belts, then you can have any auto shop stamp your form.
Here is a list of the places in the area for race cars or if you don't meet the requirements for #11.

-Todd...

PS - This is the sort of information I'll be putting together into a checklist in the next few days.

#65 ·
NASA on Feb 9th or 10th at Sonoma also works for me.
9th or 10th of Feb... I'm in.
Wow, sounds like we have a good group of people for that weekend. I'm planning on doing both Saturday (9th) and Sunday (10th). Sounds like Sunday (10th) would be the best day for those doing a single day.

I'll put together a checklist with the details about registration, tech, etc. tomorrow so people can get signed-up!

-Todd...

#63 ·
Sweet there is a tech inspection right here in San Rafael.

#64 ·
9th or 10th of Feb... I'm in.

#68 · (Edited)
How to Register for NorCal NASA HPDE Events

Step 1) Register for NASA Login/Membership
A NASA Membership is required for most event, but will be automatically added to your cart when registering for an event if not already present. Prior to registering for an event I would suggest making a NASA Login account.

a) Go to the Account Creation page.
b) Click on "Login Only - $0" to create a login account.
d) Fill-out the required information (Name, Drivers License Number, Contact Info, etc.) and click "Save" at the bottom of the page.​

Once an account is created you can add/update your information to include emergency contact information, vehicle information, etc. (this will be required when registering for events in Step 2)

Step 2) Register for NorCal NASA Event
a) Select the event from the Schedule and click "Register Online".
b) If you've not already done so, Login to your NASA Account (created in Step 1 above).
c) Choose which date and run group (HPDE-1, HPDE-2, etc.) you are interested in participating in. Note: Use the HPDE group descriptions and Survey to determine which group would be best for you. If in doubt, or if this is your first time running with NASA, you might want to choose a lower level group (getting moved-up at the event is better than having to be moved-down). You can also ask people here for their opinion on what group they would suggest.
d) Check the box(es) next to the run group you are interested in and then press "Register" at the bottom of the page.
e) The event has now been added to your Shopping Cart. If you are in need of a new/renewed NASA Membership ($45) it has also been added to your cart. Press "Continue Checkout" to proceed.
f) Verify your Profile information and press "Continue".
g) Enter your Credit Card/Billing Address and press "Continue".
e) Enter Vehicle Information and press "Save Vehicle Info" and then "Continue". Note: Your car will need numbers (specifics are below), so choose your preferred number(s).
g) Enter Emergency Contact Information and press "Save Contact Info".
h) Read the Release and Waiver of Liability and click "I Agree".
i) Read the Cancellation Policy, check the box next to "Agreement", and press "Charge Me". Note: Events are "Rain or Shine" and no refunds will be given the day of the event due to rain.

You are now registered for a NorCal NASA event! Post-up in this thread which day(s) and run group(s) you will be participating in. I will keep a running list, and hopefully we can get several people attending the same event(s).

#71 ·
Did we discuss helmets? Snell 2005/2010 are required I think and mobike helmets are unsuitable. And I don't think there are rentals at Sonoma.

I have a couple which I can bring along. One is XL and the other I think is medium. People are welcome to use them, but you'll want to be pretty sure that it will fit before getting to the track.

#72 ·
Did we discuss helmets? Snell 2005/2010 are required I think and mobike helmets are unsuitable. And I don't think there are rentals at Sonoma.
Good point, I need to continue working on my car/driver prep and "what to bring" section... it will include the details on helmets. For the HPDE events I believe "M" rated helmets are acceptable, but I need to get clarification on that.

-Todd...

#76 · (Edited)
I was able to get clarification for those without previous track experience that want to do a 2-day event... Register for the Saturday HPDE-1 event ($195). After the first day, if the instructor feels you're ready for HPDE-2 they will sign-off your log. Take the log to registration and sign-up for the Sunday HPDE-2 session for the 2-day discounted rate.

I also found out more about the Hyperdrive session on Feb 9th during the NASA event at Sonoma:
$99
No NASA Membership required
No tech inspection required
Helmet required
45 minute "25mph" session at lunch with instructor
20 minute "at speed" session in the afternoon with instructor
For $99 this is a great way to decide if a HPDE event is right for you... it's also a great way to learn the track (and Sonoma is a tricky one) as 45min with an instructor is an awesome opportunity.

-Todd...

PS - I might even sign-up for the hyperdrive just to get the 45min with an instructor to focus on learning the proper driving line.

#77 · (Edited)
Checklist for NorCal NASA HPDE Events

Step 1) Register for NorCal NASA Event

Step 2) Driver Preparation
It doesn't matter how much horsepower your car has, or how much suspension work has been done... As the driver, you, will have the greatest impact on the outcome of your HPDE experience. Before heading to the track you should spend some time brushing-up on driving technique and learning the specifics of where you will be driving. There are several guides available (see the links below) and a wealth of knowledge online and in these forums.
Laguna Seca Track Guides - SAAC, PCoA
Sonoma Track Guides - SCCA, PCoA
Thunderhill Track Guides - SCAA, PCoA Clockwise, PCoA Counterclockwise

While driving on track is designed to be fun, it is the driver's responsibility to be familiar with the rules.
a) Read the NorCal NASA "Acceptance Package" and "Supplemental Rules", specifically the HPDE section. This document covers information about tech inspection, what to do when you get to the track, flags, and an outline of the rules and regulations.
b) Read the NASA Club "Codes and Regulations". This is a long and dense rule book, and much of the information pertains to the racing classes, you should still read through it.​

Driving on track is both mentally and physically demanding. You need to prepare as a driver for the task ahead of you.
a) Prepare early! Don't wait until the last minute to get your car prepared (see below).
b) Start hydrating.
c) Get lots of sleep the night before the event. This is not the time for an all-night binge drinking session! If you have a drive longer than an hour to get to the track I suggest finding a hotel nearby. Adding a long drive before/after an event will really make for a really long day!

Step 3) Tech Inspection & Car Preperation
Your car needs to pass a technical inspection in order to get on the track.
a) Please inspect your car closely before taking it to a tech shop.
b) Look over the various tech inspection stations and select one (note: see section k below). They are listed in order of area code.
c) Do not show up at the shops without an appointment. They are very busy and may not be able to accommodate you.
d) If you choose to tech your car at the track, you must:
1) Pay the $40 late tech fee, and
2) Have your car ready for tech at 7:00 AM, whether you reregistered or not.​
e) NASA, SCCA, PCA, BMW, VARA, CSRG, IMSA, GA, and FIA road race cars may be exempt from tech inspection.
The vehicle's logbook must be presented to a tech inspector at the track. If the log book is not present, the vehicle must go through tech and you must pay the $40 tech at track fee. [Note: The vehicle MAY need to be inspected if the logbook notations indicate corrections are needed.]
f) Call early (2 weeks before the event is recommended). The inspection should take about 10 minutes, and it is free.
g) This is an important inspection, as it could save your life and you car from damage.
h) The tech shop will inspect your car using a tech sheet that they keep on hand. If you would like a copy of a Tech Inspection Form before hand, you may download one from the web site.
i) The authorized inspection locations are as follows: Tech Inspectors
j) The tech shops have the tech forms, however it is best to download one ahead of time:Tech Form
k) If you have a car with unmodified safety equipment, in particular seat belts, seat, seat mounting and no additional safety equipment, such as a roll bar, then you may have any auto shop stamp your tech form. “Any auto shop” means an auto shop with a BAR registration number. In other words, if you haven’t added any safety equipment, nor modified safety items such as the seat and belts, then you can have any auto shop stamp your form.​

Laguna Seca & Sound Management: Track days at Laguna Seca are performed under strict sound-limits of 90dB or 92dB (and rarely at 105dB). While many vehicles in stock configurations will be under these levels, engine/exhaust modifications could result problems. For more information regarding sound management at Laguna Seca visit the SAAC "Sound Advice" page and/or ask questions here.

Step 4) What to Bring to the Track
Helmet: For HPDE events a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1995 (SA1995; M1995) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles. Note: for competition run groups helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2005 or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M2000, M2005, or CMR2007”, are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 or newer, or an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1/2005 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.

Clothing: Drivers should wear non-synthetic fabric clothing (i.e. cotton) and must wear at least a T-shirt, pants and shoes (no open toed shoes). Shorts in the pit lane are permitted except during sessions requiring refueling such as endurance racing. Drivers should wear eye protection such as goggles, glasses, or face shields preferably made of new impact resistant materials. Some racetracks may have more restrictive requirements. There are additional clothing requirements for competition run groups.

Paperwork: Bring your registration conformation/receipt, completed tech inspection form, the event schedule, track map, paddock map, etc.

Step 5) The Day of the Event
a) Arrive early and do your preparation (see above) in advance. Gates open at 6:00am (sometimes earlier).
b) Be ready for your tech inspection (if not done before the event) at 7:00am.
c) Check-in at Registration (opens at 7:00am). This is where you'll get your wristband(s), an updated schedule, and the other documentation.
d) Park in the appropriate are of the Paddock (you did remember to bring the paddock map right?). It would be nice to park together as a group if possible.
e) Prepare your car for driving on track:
1) Remove any loose items from the passenger compartment (floor mats, radar detector, change, etc.) of your vehicle. It is also recommended to remove extra items from your trunk as well (spare tire, jack, tools, etc.).
2) Display your assigned number (10" tall) on both sides of the car. It's also helpful to have the number on the front/rear of the car.
3) Both front side windows must be completely open (unless raining).
4) Check fluid levels (gas, oil, brake fluid, etc.).
5) Torque lug nuts and check tire pressures.
f) Attend the MANDATORY Driver's Meeting! This typically occurs at 7:15am so do not be late! Missing this meeting will ruin your day! Any driver that misses a driver’s meeting must check in with the HPDE Director before going on track.
g) Keep hydrated! After each session drink lots of water... if you're not having to go to the bathroom every few minutes you're not drinking enough. Driving on track is both mentally and physically demanding, especially in the warmer summer months!
h) Keep track of the schedule and what session is on track. Start preparing for your session one run group in advance (use restroom, setup GoPros, etc.). Be ready to go on track before your session starts! If you're late, you will loose track time.
i) After each session discuss how things with your instructor. Keeping a logbook is extremely helpful!
j) Between each session re-check fluid levels (including fuel, you'll go through it faster than you think), tire pressures, and re-torque the lug nuts.

And the most important thing... HAVE FUN!

When the event is finished pack-up and be sure to clean-up any trash. Take a moment to remember you'll be driving on public roads again... after driving on track you'll have to readjust to the slower speeds (Tip: use cruise control).

#84 ·
that is one bad arss looking goat ...its amazing how good that type of spoiler can look on the right set up

#83 ·
Anyone know how much shops usually charge for the tech inspection?

#86 ·
See the info below:

Step 3) Tech Inspection & Car Preperation
a) Please inspect your car closely before taking it to a tech shop.
b) Look over the various tech inspection stations and select one (note: see section k below). They are listed in order of area code.
c) Do not show up at the shops without an appointment. They are very busy and may not be able to accommodate you.
d) If you choose to tech your car at the track, you must:
1) Pay the $40 late tech fee, and
2) Have your car ready for tech at 7:00 AM, whether you reregistered or not.​
e) NASA, SCCA, PCA, BMW, VARA, CSRG, IMSA, GA, and FIA road race cars may be exempt from tech inspection.
f) Call early (2 weeks before the event is recommended). The inspection should take about 10 minutes, and it is free.
g) This is an important inspection, as it could save your life and you car from damage.
h) The tech shop will inspect your car using a tech sheet that they keep on hand. If you would like a copy of a Tech Inspection Form before hand, you may download one from the web site.
i) The authorized inspection locations are as follows: Tech Inspectors
j) The tech shops have the tech forms, however it is best to download one ahead of time:Tech Form
k) If you have a car with unmodified safety equipment, in particular seat belts, seat, seat mounting and no additional safety equipment, such as a roll bar, then you may have any auto shop stamp your tech form. “Any auto shop” means an auto shop with a BAR registration number. In other words, if you haven’t added any safety equipment, nor modified safety items such as the seat and belts, then you can have any auto shop stamp your form.​
If you call and make an appointment at a shop listed by NASA it should be free.

Mine have always been part of other work (oil change, checking/flushing fluids, part installs, etc.) so can't provide an accurate number. That said... NASA charges $40 for a "late inspection" at the track, I couldn't expect it to be more than that at a shop.

-Todd...

#85 ·
drift car lol ..i wish it looked like the one above

#91 ·
Can't wait.

New tires went on yesterday.
Tech inspection slated for Thursday.
Coolant flush and oil change this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.