LS1GTO Forums banner

Tail Lights Gone Good

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  ModernMuscle 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to taking off the tail lights and getting them tinted. Taking them off was the big joke! The brake light bulbs had heated up the plastic around the plastic sockets so much that they were warped. I ended up breaking them just to get the tail lights off and then one of the inside dome pieces inside the tail light decided to come loose. At this point I was so pissed I just ended up laughing because it was so unbelievable.

Two hours later I found a guy parting out a GTO on Craigslist and off I went. New tail lights with new wiring harnesses in hand, unbelievable luck… Followed this DIY, LINK, below is how they came out, I would say not too bad for a little rattle can tint paint, rattle can clear coat, rubbing compound, and some wax…

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great to me. I just couldn't stand all the red back there on my YJ.

#7 ·
looks clean must have been a lot of wetsanding.
Wetsanded after doing the tint, and again after the clearcoat...

snow already huh?
A little bit, got really cold...

loving the silver and black theme going on, looks similar to mine
Thanks!

#10 ·
Follow the link in my post, it is all there... The bonus is on our tail lights there is a small groove that the razor blade will follow. It took me less than 15 minutes to mask and cut the lights... but it took me the whole weekend to do the painting, drying, wetsanding, rubbing, and polishing...

#14 ·
I did 3 light coats of VHT tint, doing it 15 minutes apart and let it dry over night. Then did a wet sand with 2000 grit, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. Sprayed 2 light coats of clear, with one heavy coat, waiting 15 minutes apart. Let it dry for 4 hours and then did the wet sand with 2000 grit again. Used Meguiars rubbing compound and then used their wax to get the high gloss.

Thanks guys for the compliments! I really like it and think it really helps finish the back end of the car with the black/silver combo.

#15 ·
I need one of those blank plates, ha ha.

Looks good...little too dark for me, but trying to picture doing something to my '04 lights, although they are growing on me as is (maybe it's the purple car and seems to match decent).

Only crappy part is I have a spider crack from the inside of my driver's side light, ugh...HTH does that happen.

Curious how much you paid for the tails? I need to get one only to replace the DS, but seems they are in pairs only...having an extra won't hurt I suppose, but just don't want to spend a fortune.

#16 ·
Looks awesome. Mine are tinted just as dark, but blinkers and reverse weren't masked off.

Damn why did I sell those extra taillights!

Off to the for sale forum...

Sent from my swagged out HTC Evo 4G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.