LS1GTO Forums banner

Plastidip Crash Course

8K views 79 replies 41 participants last post by  mistermike 
#1 ·
So once upon a time I saw a few cars on the Lingenfelter website with flat black paint jobs, and I decided I wanted to try out the look before getting my own permanent one for a few thousand $'s...

I used 14 plastidip flat black cans, 4 coats, and about 5 hours of work.

Question: I'm looking for radar-absorbing flat black military grade paint, and the more I look, the harder it is to find. Anyone know of a good place to find such a product?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a waste of fucking time. Might as well have spray bombed it. Shit I spray bombed my 89 CRX SI in my garage with 2 friends with it 34 degrees outside and it turned out better than the jank ass POS you posted.

IDK why you posted this monstrosity here. Fucking jank ass troll.

GTFO brah. Seriously. This is ill as fuk.

#3 ·
DO NOT WANT!!!!

Looks like a waste of smurfing time. Might as well have spray bombed it. Shit I spray bombed my 89 CRX SI in my garage with 2 friends with it 34 degrees outside and it turned out better than the jank ass POS you posted.

IDK why you posted this monstrosity here. smurfing jank ass troll.

GTFO brah. Seriously. This is ill as frack.
Hahaha :rules::pimp:

#4 ·
:facepalm:

Agree with slammin. That looks as bad as a 16 year olds civic..... :facepalm:

As for the military grade paint. dream on kid. being in the military I wouldn't even sell you that stuff.

resell, get a prius....

#7 ·
im still trying to figure out what was on the hood before? (sig pic)

radar absorbing paint... ive been on 2 separate deployments on 2 different carriers and the flight deck has this kinda stuff everywhere because it is a cluster F of electromagnetic signals going everywhere.

however for us to be able to shot "snoopy team" (getting video of other ships) we had to cover our cameras with tin foil... since we really couldn't paint our cameras with this stuff. i guess you could cover your car in tin foil? might actually look better with the desired results lol.

#55 ·
Here is OP pic of himself

#14 · (Edited)
Well, my paint job was going to shit in the desert sun, so I decided to have some fun. And no, I didn't try to make it perfect, nor was I trying to make it so. It was merely to give me a cheap way of getting an idea of what the color would look like on the car, nothing more. A fun little experiment that can easily be reversed, contrasted to the $3000 paint job I was originally going to get over the holidays.

So anyway, no one has really answered the core of the issue-- does flat black look good on a GTO if done correctly (use your imagination kids) or is the flat black not worth it?

The quality of flat-black paintjob I intend to get, if I deem I still like it in a year, will be closer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rze0CuizJu0
I'm guessing ya'll are going to hate on the corvette too I imagine. lol

#20 · (Edited)
And yet, only GTO 22 has answered my question...

I'm not trying to put my GTO on show yet. I KNOW the quality of the paintjob is shit. Only a moron would think it was a good job. It was an effing experiment. Holy crap.

I'm trying to determine whether I want to purchase the quality flat black paintjob or not. Trying on the color before ripping it off and making it permanent. That is all.

Some of ya'll need to be a little more focused here.

#25 ·
Not sure why anyone would pay several grand for a flat black paint job. The car will just look like it's unpainted. I've seen satin black come off well though.

#28 ·
Okay, I see what you mean. You have a point there...

I've seen it pulled off by the professionals. You're no professional.

My 2003 Element DD has a better finish on the plastic panels.

Though it's an improvement over whatever Squidward splooged over your hood previously based upon your avatar.

Seriously, does he cum tribal tattoos?
Maybe, but unlike you I haven't gotten my face close enough to see.

#26 ·
I've seen it pulled off by the professionals. You're no professional.

My 2003 Element DD has a better finish on the plastic panels.

Though it's an improvement over whatever Squidward splooged over your hood previously based upon your avatar.

Seriously, does he cum tribal tattoos?

#30 ·
Your GTO reminds me of my buddy's eclipse that is temporary in black primer. We call it the stealth bomber. Lol He is in the process of painting it with glossy black aircraft paint, which cost a lot!!
I honestly think matte theme especially matte black is overdone too often along with everyone doing murdered out cars, trucks, bikes, etc. That is just my opinion. Other people love that look though. That being said, I have seen a matte dark blue or matte sapphire on a few cars that look amazing.

#31 ·
geeeeezzzzz!!! whats with all the grumpy old men in here?!?!?! if you old cats read the original post correctly you would of understood the question like us "young kids" that dont seem to know anything i guess... just sayin,were suppose to be a "family" on this forum but everybody always has some way or another to try and bring someone down... damn shame

#33 ·
What up cat? I couldn't really read anything else because my ancient old ass didn't have my reading glasses on. I'm old as fak and am expecting to pass any day now.

meow.

#32 ·
I get what you're trying to do, but it's hard to pull off on the GTO. It's just too round without any sharp edges or corners. You lose the shape of the car in the color, and ideally, it should be the other way around, the color accentuates the shape of the car in some way.

Glad you used Plastidip and not $0.99 flat black from Wal*Mart though. Peel it off and start thinking about what you really want. You've got a budget ($3K that you mentioned) that's realistic for a paint job in the color the car came in to fix whatever damage the sun has dished out since 2004. Looks like it was QSM, which can look really good (sedate, but good) when painted by someone who knows what they're doing.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.