LS1GTO Forums banner

What Is This In My Oil?

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Shawshank 
#1 · (Edited)
Went out and started to change my oil. Pulled the magnetic drain plug and found this thing stuck to the magnet. I have no idea what this is. It doesn't look broken or anything. Looks like a perfect cylinder with no sheared off sides. Anyone know?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea......... :eek:hnoes:

Is there any scoring on it?

#4 ·
No scoring what so ever. Looks like it just came out of a package.

Has no breaks and has no marks

#5 ·
Honestly, it sort of looks like a wrist pin. But that doesn't compute :wtf2: Pretty sure if that were it this would have been a completely different type of thread.

#6 ·
How big is it? Rocker bearing???

Usually you have more then one of those though.

#7 ·
Exactly a 1/2 inch.

Car runs and has been running great. No problems what so ever

#8 ·
And let me add that it is not hollow. It is a solid piece

#9 ·
Put it back in. Clearly this is some sort of wizardry that is keeping your engine together. Don't anger the Gods

#10 ·
LOL Well it's kind of freaking me out considering I have to make a 300+ mile trip tomorrow morning.

I already made it a few weeks ago with zero issues

#11 ·
Something that fell into your engine when it was being assembled? Maybe its been sitting in your oil pan for 7 years.

#12 ·
Whats the diameter of it? Could be cam/timing gear alignment pin, could have been there from assembly lol. If tis important you will find out soon enough!

#14 ·
I'm at a loss LOL

Not sure if I should be worried or just shrug it off. The car has been running great for months now. I didn't see this in my last oil change, but then again, the last change was when I installed the magnetic plug, so maybe it was sitting in there for a long time. There are no ticking noises, nor any issues running.

It's also strange that when I removed the plug, the only thing on it was this pin. There were no metal shavings or any other trace of metal particles. It almost seems like what was stated above, something was left in there when assembling the car

#15 ·
The diameter is just under a 1/4 of an inch.

It is not very big at all

#16 ·
I'm guessing the engine has never been into? I would send in an oil sample to Blackstone labs. For $20 bucks they can tell you alot about your engine and if theres someting that needs attention.

#17 ·
No, the engine has never been torn into.

It's weird. This pin is in perfect condition. No scratches on it, nor does it look like it was broken off anything. It is very tiny and there was no other metal debris that came with it. The drain plug and oil were completely clean, except for this pin. Like I said, I'm leaning towards it being in there forever and it came out now because of the newly installed magnetic plug.

#20 ·
Looks like the camshaft dowel.

It could have fallen into the motor during assembly, or it could have worked itself loose and just dropped into the pan. The only way to tell would be to pull the timing cover off and have a look-see.

Not really a big deal since it is just an alignment dowel for the cam sprocket and three bolts are holding that to the camshaft. The only questions would be if those bolts are working themselves loose or not. :dunno:

The way I look at it is this:
Coolant and front cover gaskets are cheaper than a new engine.
Been researching everything and it seems that's what it is. I will have to pull it tonight and double check. At least I am in the clear for now LOL

#19 ·
Looks like the camshaft dowel.

It could have fallen into the motor during assembly, or it could have worked itself loose and just dropped into the pan. The only way to tell would be to pull the timing cover off and have a look-see.

Not really a big deal since it is just an alignment dowel for the cam sprocket and three bolts are holding that to the camshaft. The only questions would be if those bolts are working themselves loose or not. :dunno:

The way I look at it is this:
Coolant and front cover gaskets are cheaper than a new engine.

#22 ·
caulk ring

#26 ·
I thought the same, but apparently after researching it, this has happened to tons of people. The cam pin works itself lose. I can't tell you how, but it has happened countless times lol

#24 ·
You've found the golden ticket my friend!

#27 ·
Yes it is magnetic. It was stuck to the magnetic drain plug. That's how I found it, which is also why i'm wondering how long it has been in there. I just installed the magnetic drain plug last oil change, so maybe it's been there for a while, but never was able to come out.

#30 ·
soooooo did u pull it and find out????

#31 ·
Had a family emergency and never got a chance to crack it open. Took a chance and made the 500 mile trip and the car drove like a dream. I'll be up where I am now for a while, so I will probably crack it open this weekend and take a look

#32 ·
it's a dowel guide pin, prob fell in during assembly. Possibly a cam guide pin, wouldn't strees it, even if it was from 'your' cam the bolts from the timing chain sprocket will keep the cam in time. Make a necklace out of it!! or you could frame it?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.