LS1GTO Forums banner

my cam build please look over for me.

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  mikew 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I think I have all the parts but I'm still saving for a clutch so I won't be doing the install and tune till Jan or Feb. But here goes.

Fast 102 and gaskets.
Cam is nssp cam
.650 dual valve springs with titanium retainers and new Viton valve seals.
7.425 chromoly hardened push rods
Melling oil pump m 296 ( going to swap spring)
New ls2 timing chain.
7 quarts Mobil 1 0w-40 euro formula and filter. Going with 6.5 quarts.
Pre mixed dex cool.

25% udp, belts ,already on the car but I have a new gm bolt.

Edit: added long tubes. Purchasing rocker trunion upgrade.

Have I missed anything ? Car has 34k miles on her btw.

Predictions ?
Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good man! Just throw some heads on there while you're in there ;)

#3 ·
I would if I had the money but don't we all say that once and a while lol. I know I'll leave some on the table due to my shorties but I'm hoping the fast will make up some lol. I'm not trying for records or anything just a real stout car I hope.

#5 ·
Predictions?

It will run like crap until you get a tune.

#6 ·
No headers? No tune? No fun.

#7 ·
Is it OK to drive a cammed car that's not been tuned? You know OP is going to bury (man, that word looks WEEEEIIIIIRRRRDDDDD) the throttle a couple times.

OP, are you going to be driving the car after this work and before you get her tuned?

Is it OK to drive a GTO without LTs? (haha, j/k on this one).

#8 ·
A GTO without headers is just wrong. Every GTO should have exhaust mods of some kind, even if its a turbo kit :)

#10 · (Edited)
Read the first line of my post lol

Where did you guys get I'm driving it. I won't be installing any of it till I get my. Clutch then I'm installing it and tuning the same day.

Long tubes are not gonna pass. Visual but it does have shorties and mids.

I was asking if I overlooked anything.

#13 ·
If you want more power I don't know why people just start throwing money at the car, dont feel bad Ive done same thing ever since I got a performance itch. Return all that crap and get a supercharger and be done with it

#14 · (Edited)
As much as I would love a blower. I would hardly call a cam a waist of money since it's a lot of power for not much. Cash.

Plus I have bought some used parts, traded for some and received some as gifts so I don't have much into the entire car at all. Like everything I have ran me less then half o blower kit.

#15 ·
I would put a new cam retainer plate in as well. SOMETIMES they gunk up and cause a block. Even if you have low miles I would still do it. TSP sells them for I believe $40 w/new screws.

#16 ·
I added some ls7 lifters when I did my cam. Only reason I did that was because I heard of people having lifter failure issues. Also would recommend a bolt and gasket kit from Texas speed or vengeance racing

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
This and a tune and you will be fine.Enjoy!

#18 ·
I'm having cal speed to the install and tune. They have the tool and will measure to make sure I have the right pushrods. If not I'll have them put in the right length. I will be ordering the cam installation gasket kit you guys sell though before the install.

#28 ·
That's a perfect combination you got there. The Melling 296 is a monster, especially when governed by such a chain. A double-roller would have possibly caused some clearence issues! Just make sure to use the "red spring"!

Plus, you may consider upgrading your rod bolts, especially if you're planning on pushing beyond 6,200 rpm. Your cam choice is really more of a mid to high rpm ranger, and if you and your tuner decide to raise the rev limiter, then you really should consider doing this! Katech makes a beautiful set for just under 200 bucks (KAT-A4963). Cheap insurance if you ask me!

Good luck!

#20 ·
i 2nd trunnion upgrade and ls7 lifters. both inexpensive and peace of mind things. did you get head bolts? arp has reusable ones. dont forget water pump and timing cover gaskets. dont forget some silicone sealant for the corners of the timing cover.

#22 ·
I appreciate the advise but I'm not pulling the heads this time. In 15-20k miles I will probably pull the heads and do a new valvetrain and rocker upgrade with morel link lifters for peace of mind. Maybe send the heads to ai if I feel the itch for more power again. But from what everyone says I'm gonna want to ditch my shorties first.

I'd like to see what kind of power I hit before I do that to see if 1500 on a header swap is worth it considering I'm in cali and if a cop pops my hood long tubes pretty much means impounded car so I am not sure it's worth it.

#24 ·
Well I should rephrase that. Seeing no cats would mean impounding and 2k dollar fine for removing them.

But long tubes with cats would probably be ok. As far as a cop looking at it.
But the smog inspection visual test would fail you catted long tubes or not :(

This is the only reason I went the shorties and mids route. Mids can be swapped with stock mids to pass the sniffer test if needed but I passed with my high flow cats last time anyway.

Now cali is getting rid of sniffer for visual and obd2 only so that's why I'm able to do the cam.

I should find a "guy" who won't care about visual so I can get long tubes lol. At least catted ones anyway I'm sure would still out perform my shorties.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok you guys have me second guessing my build so in an effort to not leave to much on the table I just ordered coated kooks long tubes. Lol the wife is going to kill me. Ordering a fast 102 and long tubes in one month. So the cam install will be on hold for awhile but from what all you have told me I'll be happier in the long run.

Hopefully selling my shorties and mids and ported stock manifold will cover the cost of the fast at least haha.

Since I'm tuned for a ported ls2 intake and shorties and mids could I install the headers and the fast for awhile? Or should I wait till I install the cam and get retuned?

I'll just have to figure a way around smog lol

#29 ·
This is your fault you know. You made fun of the shorties lol.

Nothing new though. I was going to take it easy on this car since I've gone nuts in the past on other cars but I'm addicted what can I say.

#31 ·
Fast 102 arrived today. Think it's ok to throw it on there since I'm already tuned for a ported ls2 ? I'd like to put it on if I can so I can sell my ported stocker.

When the lt's arrive however I won't install them till I do the cam and tune again.

#33 ·
Thanks I'm really looking forward to getting it all together. Interested to see what she puts out and looking forward to running my buddies cobra that put out 467 rwhp. Just to see if I can hang with him for a while and give him a good run

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.