LS1GTO Forums banner

Castrol Edge Offer

2K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  RitcheyRch 
#1 ·
Before the spears start flying my way, I would like to state that I do not sell anything for a living, have sponsors, or have anything to gain by promoting this product! In addition, I have been a Mobil 1 user for over 15 years.

I went to Walmart today to restock on Oil after changing the oil in 2 of our vehicles last weekend. I noticed that Castrol Edge was priced about $1 more per Qt. than Mobil 1 but they had the 5 Qt. containers marked $7 lower than Mobile 1? Not sure if it was a mistake, but I bought 3 5 Qt. containers for $19 each.

I was surfing around trying to see if the pricing was a mistake and ran accross a $15 rebate offer from Castrol on 5 Qt. or more.

Not sure if it is better than Mobile 1 or not, but $4 (after rebate) for a 5 Qt. jug ended the debate for me!

link to rebate form http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b.../downloads/e/Castrol_Edge_E_search_engine.pdf

#2 ·
sweet....i have been running this for awhile now. probably just going back to syntec though since this edge is pretty just to prolong the life of the oil...but i change it like 2500-3000 miles no matter what. i switched from mobil 1 to castrol btw. did some research and castrol seemed to outdo mobile1.

#5 ·
You can run crisco if you change it often. I personally wouldn't go longer then 3k miles on ANY name brand oil. However that is just me. Nothing bad can come from changing your oil "too" often.

I laugh at all these oil debates. Again use a good proven filter and run whatever you want as long as you check your oil levels regularly and don't do extended intervals. Those guys trying to get 10k miles on an oil change are going to get what they are looking for but I fear what they find is not what they thought they were looking for.

#6 ·
I don't think I've reached 3k miles yet between an oil change on the Goat. Still, I prefer the oils with higher amounts of ZDDP, only because of the higher HP output that the motor will be under. One of the reasons I run M1 15-50 + 0W-40. Recently picked up a bunch of Castrol 0W-30, so I'll be running that in place of the 0W-40 ... 2qts + 4qts of the 15W-50. Little concoction =P

As for extended intervals, don't get me started. Constantly have to deal with German luxo owners coming in telling me that their cars will run no problem at least 15k miles. Used to try and debate with them, now, I just shrug it off and say, 'your car, do what you will.' In the end, it always turns out that way no matter what I say.

#7 ·
I have changed to Castrol edge back in May of this year.Love the stuff,I was using Royal Purple.RP is a dollar more a qrt then Edge so I decided to try a change.
So far I like the stuff.JMO

#8 ·
What exactly do people mean when they say "i live this oil"?

Chances are the car will run exactly the same even if they run cheap walmart supertech oil.

#12 ·
Oil answer

Whenever I used Mobil 1.My car was burning it up and i was getting alot of blow by.When I switched to RP it stopped.
Then I went to Castrol edge because its a dollar cheaper and I still have no blow by.I know I cant tell a difference in the way the car runs but i still have no blow by or oil burning.Thats the reason why i love the stuff.Mobil 1 = Crap.
I used it in my 86 Mustang as well and it to was burning it up until I switched to RP.Im no oil expert,but i will not use Mobil 1 ever again.

#9 ·
I don't know if the oil made a difference, but I switched from amsoil back to m1 and I seem to find less oil in my catchcan. It may just be a fluke but I'm pretty sure that all oils are not made the same.

#13 ·
Thanks brother

Thank you for the heads up,I will be going to Walmart today to buy some edge.

#14 ·
My 2004 GTO came with regular oil in it and that's what I used to break it in. After the third oil change I switched over to Mobil One Synthetic. I hardly ever get any oil in my catch can and the tube is still clean on the can. My car doesn't use any oil at all so I'll stick with what works for my GTO. On my other two vehicles I just use what the factory recommends and haven't had any problems. Everyone has their favorites, but a deal is a deal and if it's to save a couple of bucks to make you change the supplier then go for it.

JMO........

ROK

#24 ·
Running Edge from the AdvanceAuto deal.

#25 ·
I stopped using Mobile One a few years ago While they do offer a good product, their chemical compound has not changed in a long time while other oil makers continue to improve on their products. In the past few years I have tried Royal Purple, Lucas and Amsoil and now use Castrol Edge . The normal engine noise that we always hear with the LS2 has seemed to deminish with the use of Castrol. Going to stick with this brand for a while

#27 ·
Not to resurrect a semi-old thread, but I just had 6.6q of Castrol Edge 5-30 put in and just got back from a 100 mile romp.

Perception is that the car is performing better, but this could be fantasy. What I am most pleased about is that seemingly 95% of all engine "noise" is gone. The front of the car now sounds like a Honda 1.8L motor. The "normal" LSx lifter noise is gone, as are any of the metallic clanking noises that were present before with the Mobil 1 5-30.

Also, I am very excited about the prospect of changing my oil once a year/10,000+ miles.

--Setherial

#29 ·
I used Mobile 1 the first year or so that I owned my car [ new Jan 05 ] then I tried Amsoil and Royal Purple. Gave it a fresh supply of Castrol Edge around August 09. Think I will give it another try in the next few weeks.

#31 ·
#32 ·
My car has 13k miles on it now. I used Mobil 1 for my first oil change at 4k. I had already had to add 1.5 quarts of oil. I changed the oil again at 9k with mobile 1. I had to add about 2 quarts of oil during that time. At 9k I used castro edge. since then I have only had to add 1/2 quart of oil. Not sure what that means. Just an observation. I have heard that Mobil 1 has not changed their formula in many years and is really outdated. I think castro edge is the equivilant of Mobil 1 "extended performance". I think castro edge far outperforms mobil 1.

#34 ·
Wonder why the oil debate is always Mobil over Castrol. Never seen any debates with other mfgs.

Actually thinking about switching to valvoline in my GTO and in my Tundra since both currently use Mobil 1.

Been running Castol GTX 10-30 in my daily driven Honda Civic with 220K miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.