LS1GTO Forums banner

MP112 vs. TVS1900

12K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  MarylandSpeed 
#1 ·
What is the difference in these two suoerchargers beside the money? They are only like $200. apart.

#3 ·
There is to much to list.

The TVS is more efficient in power and lower combustion temps.
The rotors are different
The cases are larger
The hubs are redesigned
The jackshaft is updated

Much more to list, the TVS1900 is easily worth that $200. The TVS is more comparable to a early Whipple than it is an Eaton.

#4 ·
Sounds like a no brainer. The mp112 should be alot cheaper.

#5 ·
I wouldnt waste my time with a 112 unless you have modest power goals and/or find a good deal on one

#6 ·
and they quit making them

#11 ·
OK, but how about offering your review and comparison of the two different blowers since you've had them both, and since that's really what this thread is all about. I've had both, but it's tough for me to offer a comparison review since I had the M112 on a smaller engine (it was a 4.6L motor) than my TVS 1900 is (which is on my 6.0L GTO engine). The only thing I can tell you is that the TVS is a bit more quiet than the M112 was (less whine, although the M112 wasn't really loud either).

#12 ·
It's first and foremost a difference in the internals. For instance: the TVS has four lobe rotors, which have a 180 degree helical twist, but the M112 blowers had the 3 lobe rotors with a 60 degree helical twist. Eaton's/Magnuson's claim is that the 4 lobe rotor design with the 180 helical twist is more efficient in making power than their previous three lobe deisgn was. BTW, keep in mind that Eaton is the OE branch and Magnuson is the aftermarket branch. Whipple is a whole different company all together.

#13 ·
Lysholm was a partner with Eaton until Vortech bought them out.

Guess who manufactured Whipple superchargers until they started building in house a few years ago?

#16 ·
Ok, here's some of the similarities and differences: the 112 is slightly smaller and less efficient at around 70%, it is noisier but not by much. It spools quick to about 4 psi, then its a steady hard pull to 10 psi. It runs hot IAT's of around 120 to 160 causing fuel and timing to be pulled out. The green tops injectors mine came with don't have scaling data for them. You can't start tuning without injectors you cant. I sent ls1 to Jeremy fortuto who reflowed them to 42lbs and balanced them. Because of the IAT placement in the head over the top of #8 to heat soak we could only make 2 pull on the dyno then had to let it cool. Street driving with it was fine unless you were in a jam idling the temps climbed very high making it stall. I added meth into the mix. Dropped temps 10-20 but not far enough. I'm in Alaska where temps average 60 degrees and still have high temps.
After installing the 1900 one of the first changes you'll see is the IAT placement. Instead of pushed into the blower manifold hole, it was moved inside of the manifold on a stand next to the cooler. The drive system is quieter, rear pulleys are 8 rib instead of six on the 112. The ls9 injectors are very short, I was going to reuse my 42s but they won't fit the rails, nor will the rails from the 112. I had to buy adaptors to use the ls9's after all, plus find new scaling data for them. There were a few minor changes that were easy to workout. The coolant lines to the 112 go in one side and out the opposite where the 1900 are on the same side. Because my new kit was for the 05-06 ls2 fly by wire and mine is a throttle cable, the vacuum port was in the way of the bell crank of the fitting. So I removed it and TEE'd it onto a left side port. I ordered a cable mount which turned out to be a piece of junk that wouldn't fit right and hit the hood, so I made my own.

#17 ·
Started retuning for this blower and injectors which wasn't bad at all. The iat's are around 85 and the ect's dropped to 180s from 220. Some of the high ECT were from a bad Tstat too. We've 1 and 2 bar SD tuned and maf tuned with an 85 mm ( tried 3 different ones ) that all were maxed by 5000 rpm. I was seeing 104% efficientcy out of boost. Tried it next to the filter, mid pipe and at the TB. Threw codes except when at the filter head.
Hendrix told me he uses a blade Maf with one table in a 100mm. I think were talking about the same maf though. I call it a cartridge and he a blade.
There must be a cartridge Maf that uses one table.

#18 ·
M112/122= heaton

#28 ·
ive got a 112 and wish I had the TVS1900 instead!!

#29 ·
Eaton makes the rotors, and internals. They then sell them to OE's like GM who use them in the ZR1, or Ford in the GT500. Magnusun basically had the exclusive contract with Eaton to sell their superchargers for aftermarket use. Eaton supplied the rotors and internals, and Magnusun did the case. At some point, Magnusnun lost the exclusive, which is why you see companies like Edlebrock coming out with the E-force supercharger, which uses the same Eaton internals basically upside down with different case and runners. It's kind of like a laptop..everyone takes the same basic motherboard, specs it out like they want, and then puts their name and case on it.

For $200 on a $6K transaction, I would not mess with the 112. It is old tech. IMO nothing sounds better than a 1900 or 2300 witha cog drive:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.