LS1GTO Forums banner

ABS Brake Delete - Who's Done It?

31K views 89 replies 38 participants last post by  Dantigan 
#1 ·
Already did a search and only a scant few threads out there on the topic and nothing specific.

My First Goat has a manual brake conversion kit, but I'd like to retain PBs. Also saw SJM's F-body ABS Brake Delete kit, but it's not plug and play for the GTOs.

So has anyone removed their ABS hardware and just run power brakes? If so, any details you care to share would be much appreciated. Pics even better :)

Thanks

#2 ·
that sounds like a lot of work. i have a better idea,....the speed sensors by the rear end that read the magnets on the axles....just take them off or just misaligned them a little...disables the abs.

#5 ·
I heard you can remove it but still need to have the connection plugged in. When the car does a system check and its not plugged in, the car wont start. I've never messed with it and like you I'm trying to get more info on it. I replied in Frank's thread but haven't heard any responses back.

#11 ·
I am more then likely going to be deleting mine. I went to relocate it then got pissed at it.
I contacted SJM to see if they had any solutions/tips for me.

I am going to be separating the abs computer from the pump/block and tucking it away to keep the computer happy and keep Traction control.

#12 ·
The plumbing side of this aint hard. Its already front/rear split coming of the master cyl to the ABS block. So really, you just need a "y" block to connect the lines. If i was doing it, id add in adjustable proportioners to set the brake balance.

Electrical side, If the PCM wants a CAN packet, you need to keep the module. If its checking for voltage or ground on a certain circuit, thats doable with out the module. But, It seems frank may have an answer to that.

#18 ·
Question: Why bother? The weight you'll save is maybe 10 pounds, plus you'll never be able to compensate for lock up like the computer...

If you're looking to ditch weight, start with the A/C and the radio & speakers.

#20 ·
10 pounds is 10 pounds, especially since its coming off the front of the car. If the OP(and myself) doesnt want/need ABS, why keep it?

As far as not being able to control a skid as well as a computer.. I guess that depends on the driver and how well they know their vehicle..

#19 ·
I'd take my chance predicting a skid instead of abs. Your on the breaks hard enuff for it your not in control anyway. I prefer to just delete it and be done with it. Why must people these days think they need all this computer controlled stuff to help them drive. What happened to the old days where you just drive cars. A/C I'd keep just for comfort and the radio to listen to tunes on longer trips since its not a full out track car. Just want to completly delete the abs. I wouldn't mind a manual steering rack either.

#24 ·
Voodoo, Do you get any dash board ABS warnings when you start the car up? or does that do the trick?
I wanted to ditch my abs a few years ago, just to get rid of the rats nest of brake lines on the passenger side wheel well. But never figured out what to do with the elctrical side of things. If that works, I may re-visit that project.

#25 · (Edited)
I would have to assume his ABS still operates as intended, because all the components are still there, all he did was relocate them.

Does anyone know if the ABS interacts with the ECM or the BCM, and if it is just one or the other?

I'm thinking if it only communicates with the BCM, in the future I might possibly do a standalone harness conversion from Speartech (I think they do it) and eliminate the BCM along with ABS, airbags, and whatnot, and just rewire what I need. So basically I'd be turning the GTO in something like the pro-touring guys do: the only electronics being engine controls. Of course, this is all a pipe dream right now, but it's one way I've thought of losing some weight and complexity from the car for drag racing.

#26 ·
Might also want to consider the insurance headaches involved.
If you have an accident and on the check up of the car they notice the ABS is missing your looking at one heck of a nightmare. (most Insurers give a discount for things like abs/airbags etc...)

#27 ·
I could see that being a problem if they prove that your stopping distance was lengthened due to not having ABS in the snow or rain, but not all cars have ABS anyways, and I wouldn't be driving in the snow ever, and maybe rarely in the rain.

Plus, I am not too sure they would care about ABS when they see slicks, built motor, new suspension, cage, racing seats, and everything else that would most likely be in a car built to that level.

#29 ·
I've done it....

and I got rid of that anoying ABS fault and traction control fault. It's so easy you won't believe it. In the harness going to the gauge cluster is a green wire and yellow/red wire. These are the signal wires for the ABS and traction control. Just eliminate those two wires and the fault goes away. On startup the the DIC does it's systems check and before I eliminated those two wires I would get ABS Fault and Low traction/traction control not working, now those faults are gone.

Sam

#30 ·
and I got rid of that anoying ABS fault and traction control fault. It's so easy you won't believe it. In the harness going to the gauge cluster is a green wire and yellow/red wire. These are the signal wires for the ABS and traction control. Just eliminate those two wires and the fault goes away. On startup the the DIC does it's systems check and before I eliminated those two wires I would get ABS Fault and Low traction/traction control not working, now those faults are gone.

Sam
I was just thinking about doing an ABS delete. The only thing keeping me from doing it was the car not starting with out it. I am going to pull those two terminals when my car is back together and test it. I hope it works.

#35 ·
Well I guess I'm partially..

correct about the car not starting without ABS. It seems that the 04 is different from the 05 & 06. I just got through talking to a friend that is putting an 05 GTO interior into a 69 Chevelle. He has the factory service manual for the 05 and I have the factory service manual for the 04 and we compared the cluster connector wiring of the two and the 05 & 06 do not have the green wire and the yellow/red wire for the ABS and Traction Control. So it appears that the signals for those items must be sent via UART serial data through the BCM. I know I have no problems starting the car and he says his won't start without the ECBM connected. KINGSIZE I appologize, your are correct about the car not starting without the ECBM on the 05 & 06 and I'm correct about it starting on the 04.

Sam

#36 ·
After some searching I came across this thread. I'm interested in doing an ABS delete and it seems as if I'll be ok with the electronic side of things because I have an 04, but what about the plumbing? Do I just have to use Y's in place of the ABS pump? Or would I need to add a proportioning valve? Also, would I be able to remove the wheel sensors or do they need to stay for other reasons?

#47 ·

#44 ·
I have my car torn apart for a bunch of drivetrain stuff right now and I am also deleting the abs. I got the abs delete block from you Phil, but I never bothered to look for a factory proportioning valve(I'll have to check tonight). Does anyone know if there is one? I was under the assumption fluid proportioning was done within the abs pump??? If there is a factory valve it would be great! I'm basically doing this for aesthectics and the fact that I hate abs in general so I'm ok with the factory brake balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.