LS1GTO Forums banner

engine removal

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Canada 
#1 ·
have the motor pretty much ready to come out. radiator, intake, water pump, alternator, power steering are removed. ac pump is unbolted along with the headers. wiring harness is disconnected and labeled. it a 06 a4 gto my friend says to pull the motor and trans together. would like to get some input if that is the best way to do it. i have pulled alot of sbc and have always pulled the motor by itself.

#4 ·
I'd definitely leave the trans in.

Pulling it out is easy without it. I literally did it 100% alone with no issues at all.

#5 ·
I just got the motor back in my car..... Literally! To make it easier we dropped the starter and went at the converter/ flywheel bolts from there. It's pretty tough but seemed easier from there. I left the exhaust in place just disconnected the headers obviously. Pulled straight with the cherry picker and came right out. Also the only thing I took off the motor was the ac compressor and left it in place. Pulled the fans and left everything else on the motor. M6 I would prolly pull both but with an A4 there is no reason to pull both. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Psshh...

This is how you do it:

#11 ·
well got everything un bolted and un hooked pick up the cherry picker after work tomorrow from the in-laws. building a 413 stroker for it, 13 to 1 compression running on e 85. should be a nice step up from the 402 that was in it, i was going to redo mine but i had an offer that i couldn't refuse so i sold the motor complete only thing i kept was the front accessories and the starter they even bought the headers and exhaust.

#15 ·
Do you happen to have pics of the labeling on the wiring harness? We were dumb and forgot to label the wiring harness when we pulled the motor/trans out. Labled all the bolts and baggied those up though. Finally got the thing in and now i'm wondering where some things are suppose to plug into. :facepalm: Not sure if you are going to use a trans shield but if you do make sure you put the wiring harness that runs back to the transmission goes through the cutout before bolting that up. Didn't realize/think of that before we bolted it on before we put the motor in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.