LS1GTO Forums banner

Transmission Cooler

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Plumcrazy1 
#1 ·
Alright, well I know what they do and how much they should cost and their purpose.

I am looking to purchase one and want to know what I should be looking for. I favor Marylandspeed.com and headed over there and they have only 2 types. What do the BTU and GVW #'s mean? Do I really need to worry about that stuff or is that more of a concern when I am heavily modded?

I am interested in purchasing because I do "shift" my auto a lot and it's getting to be summertime. Would like to keep the friction down as much as possible. Don't come in here and say "well then get a manual or a MAN PEDAL." It's my car, I do what I want with it and it's my consequences.

Anyways, what brands should I look at and what else should I look at? Teach me the new stuffs. :turbonaug

#5 ·
Since I have a CAI, would the temps be different. Would I have to set them or are they pre-set? Also, how do I go about installing these or should I look at having someone install these for me?

Go with a 24000 and you will be set..... Get a stall or they are useless! And no reason to shift yourself! Let the car do it in 3rd and you will be set!
24000 is what?

#3 ·
Go with a 24000 and you will be set..... Get a stall or they are useless! And no reason to shift yourself! Let the car do it in 3rd and you will be set!

#6 ·
#9 ·
Ah ok and no, I'm going to be learning how to install these on my own. Have to learn somewhere and I'm not paying shit tons of money for a simple install which is what it seems like.

#11 ·
Go with the derale atomic cooler, does the best job.
Some guy on here had to get a new transmission from too much heat with the B&M I'm pretty sure.

You get what you pay for.

#12 ·
#14 ·
...What do the BTU and GVW #'s mean?...
BTU = British Thermal Unit. It's a unit of measurement for energy (heat). The higher the number, the more heat the cooler will be able to extract from the fluid. Appliances like grilles, heaters, and a/c units use this measurement.

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight. Heavier vehicles will tend to cause the transmission to create more heat than a lighter vehicle. Coolers with higher GVW ratings will be designed for larger vehicles.

#16 ·
#18 ·
I also run the derale atomic cooler. I didn't run my threw the radiator got rid of the factory lines and ran new Stainless lines and A/N fittings. The links aboved helped a lot. I also got the one with the thermo switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.