LS1GTO Forums banner

PFYC's GTO Banshee Ram Air Hood now available

12K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  speed_demon_freak 
#1 · (Edited)
PFYC's GTO Banshee Ram Air Hood now available-now with underside pics

We're proud to debut the new GTO Banshee Ram Air Hood. We hope you like it.

http://www.pfyc.com/gtostore

Click What's New in the left nav bar.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

#2 ·
Nice!

#7 ·
Well, as most of you know, I already have a "one-off" carbon fiber hood, but I was interested in this "functional" ram air hood. The web site does not have any pics of the underside of the hood. Note to vendor: That is something we'd all like to see. Is the "plumbing" proprietary information?

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Initial market research with the design renderings told us we were on the right track but you never know until it is finished. I’m happy to hear the positive responses.

We'll get underside pics asap. The hood came back from the painter late yesterday, was installed and the pics taken hastily before leaving on a business trip. Otherwise we would have taken them closer to sunset or sunrise and gotten more angles including the underside. We should be able to get underside pics sometime Thursday. We actually debated whether to launch the product before getting underside pictures Thursday and everyone we showed it to privately thought we should show it as is. My guess is if we would have held a poll here, the majority would have voted to show it as is. :) Just a hunch.

In the mean time, this link shows the plumbing of the underside of our Inferno hood for the Grand Prix.

http://www.pfyc.com/inferno/inferno_underside.jpg

Note where the air comes in on the driver’s side about halfway down the side of the hood. You can follow the plumbing from there around to where the inlets are. The GTO setup is similar to this. Also note we keep the crumple zones and the same structure underneath that was engineered into the factory hood.

There are a couple of windshield washer nozzle placement options. First off, if someone wants to mount them on the hood, that is possible (but probably won’t be a popular option). We are currently working on two other solutions. The first would be a conversion kit that puts the washer nozzles on the wiper blades like many other cars. The next option is my favorite so far and that is to mount them on the black plastic pieces immediately behind the hood routing the hoses underneath that piece from the passenger side. This is the next thing we’ll work on as time permits. We’ve looked it over and the only question so far is how well the washer spray will spread across the windshield. We’ll see.

Please don’t hesitate to post further questions. I’ll do my best to post answers promptly. Thanks again for your responses.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

#14 ·
BillyGoatGruff said:
Is that hood steel, fiberglass, or carbon fiber?
If the under side of the hood is like the other cars hood you mentioned, then how is it going to be functional? I don't see any openings for air to circulate in or out.

check out the website. you can get it in fiberglass or carbon fiber.

PFYC still has not responded to my question/observation. the pics of the hood appear as though the hood is NOT functional!?!?

#15 ·
Does anyone know where we would get these painted? Does the dealer do that?

#16 ·
Dbluegoat said:
Does anyone know where we would get these painted? Does the dealer do that?
most dealers do not do body/paint work. for best results take it to a respectable auto body place. just dont take it to maaco. or if you wanna go that route you could pay me $200 to use a paint roller on your hood. :sneaky: :p

#17 ·
GTOdriver7 said:
most dealers do not do body/paint work. for best results take it to a respectable auto body place. just dont take it to maaco. or if you wanna go that route you could pay me $200 to use a paint roller on your hood. :sneaky: :p
How will they match the colors though?

#19 ·
My question in terms of functionality would have to be, what the end user would need to provide to get that plugged into the engine - does the pipe and whatever filtration needed come with it or what? Also, any option in the future to get colored Kevlar? How is the finish on the unpainted CF hoods (I really like the look of carbon fiber, "ricey" though that may be).

#21 ·
speed_demon_freak said:
How much does the Carbon Fiber hood weigh?
The carbon fiber version is only a couple of pounds lighter than the fiberglass version.
BillyGoatGruff said:
Is that hood steel, fiberglass, or carbon fiber?
It comes in fiberglass or carbon fiber.
BillyGoatGruff said:
If the under side of the hood is like the other cars hood you mentioned, then how is it going to be functional? I don't see any openings for air to circulate in or out.?
GTOdriver7 said:
PFYC still has not responded to my question/observation. the pics of the hood appear as though the hood is NOT functional!?!?
My previous post explained the plumbing of the inlet air. Let me try to explain further. Like your factory hood, the hood consists of two parts, the outer skin (what you see from the outside with the hood closed) and the underside framework (what you see when the hood is up).

The difference is that the underside piece of our hood is one solid piece, not just the framework meaning that the parts between the framework under the hood (marked in the 2nd picture linked below by green star shapes) are part of the underside and not cut out like on your factory hood. On your factory hood, you would actually see the underside of the top skin in these places.

The outer skin and underside framework are bonded together. The pictures in these links below show how the air flows into the airbox (black arrows) and how it flows out of the engine bay (blue arrows).

http://www.pfyc.com/gto/function_1.jpg
http://www.pfyc.com/gto/function_2.jpg

Although the underside pic I have linked here is a Grand Prix, the GTO is similar. If you look at the underside of your GTO hood, you will see a section similar to that marked with the yellow X’s. Right behind that section is where we’ve modeled the inlet plumbing that is shown by the black arrows. It goes over to the airbox on the GTO and dumps into there.

Hope this helps to explain that part more clearly.
phobos512 said:
My question in terms of functionality would have to be, what the end user would need to provide to get that plugged into the engine - does the pipe and whatever filtration needed come with it or what? Also, any option in the future to get colored Kevlar? How is the finish on the unpainted CF hoods (I really like the look of carbon fiber, "ricey" though that may be).
As noted above, it dumps right into the factory airbox area.
Colored Kevlar is not in the plans at this time.
Probably the best pictures we have of the carbon fiber finish are these two. The first one is a hood that is all carbon fiber but we painted most of it and left some cf exposed.
http://www.pfyc.com/inferno/inferno_cf_hood.jpg

The next one is a spoiler we did for the same car. This is a picture before it was pinstriped.
http://www.pfyc.com/mikes/P1010012.JPG
speed_demon_freak said:
What happens when it rains or you wash the car? Does water get inside those louvers and splash all over the engine?
No, it won’t splash all over. Water will go in between the two layers of the hood and flow down to the lowest point (at the front of the hood) where your body shop will have drilled a couple of small drain holes for water to drain out.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

#22 ·
PFYC said:
Probably the best pictures we have of the carbon fiber finish are these two. The first one is a hood that is all carbon fiber but we painted most of it and left some cf exposed.
http://www.pfyc.com/inferno/inferno_cf_hood.jpg

The next one is a spoiler we did for the same car. This is a picture before it was pinstriped.
http://www.pfyc.com/mikes/P1010012.JPG

No, it won’t splash all over. Water will go in between the two layers of the hood and flow down to the lowest point (at the front of the hood) where your body shop will have drilled a couple of small drain holes for water to drain out.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

Good lord, please show us the rest of that car. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
The paint job looks amazing and I've only seen two closeups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.