LS1GTO Forums banner

Lug nut caps!

9K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Ross 
#1 ·
Last night while changing a tire I broke a few of the plastic caps that cover the lugnuts. Dealer wants to charge $12.50 for each one for replacements :eek2:

Does this sound right? Any place I can get them cheaper?

#2 ·
Either CAPA or JHP, our two Australian vendors, are supposed to have them for about $20 a set. Do a search, someone just bought a set.

I just took them off and bought some chrome lugnuts. Look better, don't have to mess with two pieces, and only cost $21.

#3 ·
Here is another option I've posted about before. It'll cost you a little more now, but you won't lose them or break them getting them off.

Go order SLP's lugnut and cover package for the F-Body. You can also order them from the dealer too, but I think it was cheaper to get all 20 lugnuts and caps from SLP.

The F-Body uses an outside threaded lugnut which allows for a screw on cap. Instead of having to have a special tool to remove them like we do, a simple 3/4" socket (the same for the lugnut) can be used to screw them on snugly (don't overtighten).

I tried this on mine when I had the wheels off once and it worked, but since my plastic caps (old silver ones from the Camaro) were dirty, scratched up and stuff, I didn't swap them out, but it worked in a test fitting.

#4 ·
Frantzf said:
Last night while changing a tire I broke a few of the plastic caps that cover the lugnuts. Dealer wants to charge $12.50 for each one for replacements :eek2:

Does this sound right? Any place I can get them cheaper?
Geez! I feel guilty. All this time, I thought those things were cheap, flimsy pieces of s#@^! I think I'll put them in the safe deposit box.

I can understand the additional costs of having to stock limited demand items and all, but that's crazy. I'm expecting them to start falling off before too long.

#7 ·
I hate these individual plastic caps ...why not design the wheel with a proper hub cover that hides all the lugs (like the salad shooter wheels on my '95 Z28, or the optional wheels I had on a '91 Thunderbird.)

#9 ·
MikeZ28 said:
I hate these individual plastic caps ...why not design the wheel with a proper hub cover that hides all the lugs (like the salad shooter wheels on my '95 Z28, or the optional wheels I had on a '91 Thunderbird.)
Because then the hub cover then pops-off or is stolen and they cost alot to replace. I had the salad shooters also(never lost one), But I did find one of my jeep's covers missing one morning. Wasn't sure if it came off from hitting a bump or it was borrowed without asking.

#10 ·
Pulse Red GTO said:
I put some chrome acorn lug's on mine & then got the Mcgard locking lug's!!! I'll have to post pic's look much better than the stock caps!!!
Can you please post some pics? I'd like to see what they look like before I order the nuts and caps from SLP.

#13 ·
Robul said:
i got some in a box somewhere.. let me know if you need some and ill give you well below dealer cost.
I ordered a set of F-Body caps and nuts from SLP. I don't like the gray ones on the car. I've had the GTO for about a month and have about 500 miles on it and they are already messed up from brake dust and stuff. The black ones look better IMHO.

#14 ·
Check e-bay

there's a set there now, well 10 of them anyway

#16 ·
kirkcaliber said:
I know this is off topic but I just saw the pics of these crome stock rims. I have to have them. Anyone know where to get them and how much? Thanks
My dealer did them, ask you dealer where they get it done also check with local harley dealer and see who does there chrome. I had my dealer do it before I bought it, they wanted $1,000 and I talked them down to $500 with a 3 year warentee. Good thing because after 10 months they are rechroming a set for me.

#18 ·
The caps come off easily with a pair of needle nose pliers, or some long heavy duty tweezers. When I put them back on, I put a dab this clear sticky adhesive on the inside. It's the stuff your credit cards are stuck to the paper with when you get your new cards. I think you "guys" know what I'm talking about, but I haven't lost one yet, and they are just as easy to take off. I think I'm going to paint the stock ones Black, why pay for a new set?

ROK

#20 ·
kirkcaliber said:
I know this is off topic but I just saw the pics of these crome stock rims. I have to have them. Anyone know where to get them and how much? Thanks
I got mine from Discount Tire Company. They ordered me a set of the chrome ones, when they came in I took mine in there & they swapped the tires over & they took my stock wheels. It cost me $700 w/ lifetime balance & rotate!!

#21 ·
Try Ebay

There were some for sale last week cheep/

#24 ·
RogerRamjet said:
12.50 for a friggin piece of plastic that uses 10 cents worth of material. And GM claims they are losing money. Right!

Not just the plastic, you also get a piece of grade 4 metal for the lug nut :gr_jest:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.