LS1GTO Forums banner

Reviews for Kenwood or Alpine Navi units.

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  cabikejumper 
#1 ·
Wanting reviews for Kenwood or Alpine Navi units.

All right guys. I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has either installed these units or have had a good chance to test/use one.

The units I am referring to are the Alpine INA-W910 or the INE-S920HD, and the Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD or DNX7190HD or Excelon DNX6990HD.

I've been leaning more towards the Kenwood DNX9990HD unit as I've been a Kenwood fan for a while and like the customization options and the way they sound. I also like the Garmin navigation. I've had Garmin's stand alone unit in the past and it worked great, even with older maps. I've read some good reviews about the Alpine units, but never owned one and I'm not sure how well the navigation on the Alpine's work.

I'm looking to replace the hu and upgrade the car's factory speakers but that's pretty much it for now.

#2 ·
I've got an older Kenwood DNX-something or other; can't remember the model number, and the GTO's at home. But it's about 3 years old. The only thing I might complain about is the bootup time. It takes a little long to start playing music. But other than that, I'm totally pleased with it. I went with Kenwood due to the Garmin integration, and have never regretted it.

No experience with the Alpine.

#3 ·
I use a nexus 7 tablet much better than a stereo.

#9 · (Edited)
I've had a Kenwood DNX (don't remember the specific model) for about 5 years with no problems. It's packed with features(DVD/Garmin Nav/iPod control/Bluetooth/Text read-back/among others). It was the highest level model for that year. You can also update the maps and stereo firmware through the available USB port.

#12 ·
Yep it is in place of the HU. i installed a 45 x 4 little amp used 3.5mm jack to RCA split that to 4 for all 4 channels then just used RCA inputs to hook up to the 3.5 headphone jack on tablet. also installed a cigarette lighter adaptor in back of it to charge it plis run my radar detector and charge my phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.