LS1GTO Forums banner

New LM1 catback

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  redgoat420 
#1 ·
I bought some lm1s and got them installed last week with an x pipe. I really like the tone but they are just not quite loud enough. I'm thinking about ditching the cats to make it louder. I know it will make it a little more raspy but will it make it sound like crap? I don't mind some rasp but I don't want to ruin the whole sound of the car. How bad will the drone be as well? I've got a guy that will cut them out and replace them with tubing for $100. I'm holding off on headers for about a year because I'm getting a motorcycle and that will tie up some money for a while. I don't have to worry about emissions till April. I'm getting a vararam for Christmas so I'm going to get it tuned after that and tune out the rear o2s. Any imput is appreciated.

#3 ·
LM1's are basiclly a straight pipe just expands then back to the piping.

I have LM1's on my GT and GTO.

Gt has Long tubes, off road x and lm1
GTO has long tubes, off road h and lm1

they are twice as loud on the mustang i think they are too quiet on the gto. I man go to a x but it will be pretty raspy.

#4 ·
I ran a welded in x pipe and straight pipes for a while. It was loud but sounded amazing from outside the car. Keep the cats until you decide to do headers. Then go with a high flow catted system or catless. Be wary catless will have alot of rasp and high flow cats really clean up the sound and dont quiten the car too much.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I still can't make up my mind. Anyone else?

#13 ·
I had flowmaster 44s and a resonator delete, it sounded great and was pretty loud inside the car. Switched out the flowmasters with straight pipes, and put an X pipe in place of the resonator and it is much louder outside the car, but quieter inside the car somehow (might have to do with the X pipe). I've ordered electric cutouts and once they are installed, I expect the car to sound downright disrespectful...

You can't go wrong with straight pipes. Very cheap and efficient. If you do not like it you can always add an X or H pipe to tweak the sound (also very cheap). All in all you can have a very loud, nice sounding muscle car for about $250.

#17 ·
People like you are what kept me from doing straight pipes earlier. I've heard this over and over, but with the straight pipes and X pipe I only get compliments and questions on which full exhaust I've got. Sounds amazing. I'm sure without a crossover it wouldn't sound too great though, just loud.

#21 ·
thanks for all the input. I think I am going to keep it how it is until I can get headers and mids. now i just have to try and save close to $1000 for headers, mids and a tune. :bomb:

#24 ·
Or keep an eye out in the for sale section. If you have that kind of patience.

#25 ·
I was in the exact same predicament you were in. Had LM with X-pipe. "Wasn't loud enough" says me. Put Kook's SS LT's and catless mids on. "Ok way too loud and unbearable drone at 1900-2100 rpm" said me afterwards.

Don't do it. LM1 sounds pretty decent with the stock manifolds and resonater.

#29 ·
Wow that's really loud but sounds good! How bad was it inside the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.