LS1GTO Forums banner

Long tubes catless mids for dd?

6K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  high school goat 
#1 ·
I was looking to put longtubes with catless mids stock catback on my car which I dd I want a nice sounds but nothing crazy. I feel like it might be too loud and get annoying after a while. What's some of your opinions should I go with catted mids and stock catback?

#2 ·
On a stock catback, longtubes with catless mids will be very mild.

#5 ·
I had Kooks LT's with the uncatted mids and the stock 04 catback on for about 2 weeks. Wayyyy to quiet and despite what everyone else says I thought the car sounded weak and just awful. Went with exhaust from the mids back and I DD 50 miles a day no problem with the set up.

#28 ·
I disagree. my car: idle and rev with longtubes catless mids and stock catback:

http://youtu.be/sTVwT50nPQo

and a fly by clip:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454570

My car = DD + catless mids + Kooks headers.

VERY mild around town. It sounds pretty much stock under 3000RPM as long as I don't goose it. Once I hit 3500RPM, though, those headers start a-singin'. WOT throttle is just a wicked sound, makes me pitch a tent.

It was a little louder than I had expected, but I've gotten use to it and my neighbors say it's not as bad as their cars (70's chevy truck, and 68 camaro ss).
IMHO catted cars are the ones that stink. They smell like rotten eggs. FWIW I run LTs with just a X pipe and Borla Pro XS muffs and it has a very nice sound compared to a lot of goats that have cats and louder mufflers.
i rarely smell my car, maybe once an awhile, but even letting idle and sitting outside, doesnt smell.

#6 ·
I have pacesetter lt's and catless mids with stock catback. Not much louder at idle in my opinion, and you can't really tell a difference from stock at highway speeds. But you can really tell at wot, car sounds like it should have stock. I expected it to be a little louder honestly.

#8 ·
Depends on your budget and what you use the car for. If you daily drive, I would go with catted mids. Nothing worse than smelling like exhaust all day at work, or on a date. Power difference is insignificant between the two. Catted is a bit quieter, but again that's not such a bad thing. I outgrew getting attention from the police a long time ago, so having the loudest exhaust does not appeal to me.

#9 ·
I'm not in a hurry to put all this on so I can save up to put a catted mids. That's what most I don't want having the extra attention. I have a trans am with cam lt's and true duals dump so I'm pass the loud exhaust thing. Just want something that sounds nice and not annoying.

#10 ·
IMHO catted cars are the ones that stink. They smell like rotten eggs. FWIW I run LTs with just a X pipe and Borla Pro XS muffs and it has a very nice sound compared to a lot of goats that have cats and louder mufflers.

#12 ·
I run Kooks LTs with catless mids and everything out the back is Magnaflow 3" SS X pipe.It sounds really good driving around,when you get on it WAY too loud,almost sounds like open headers.---Almost

#15 ·
My 06 has pacesetter LT's with catless mids going to a stolenfox H pipe and stock exhaust, and my car is pretty loud. But, I like loud.

In fact, the first thing anybody says about my car is "wow, that's loud". It also stinks. BUT, I am pretty sure I am running pig rich down low and need to get my tune cleaned up.

#17 ·
My car = DD + catless mids + Kooks headers.

VERY mild around town. It sounds pretty much stock under 3000RPM as long as I don't goose it. Once I hit 3500RPM, though, those headers start a-singin'. WOT throttle is just a wicked sound, makes me pitch a tent.

It was a little louder than I had expected, but I've gotten use to it and my neighbors say it's not as bad as their cars (70's chevy truck, and 68 camaro ss).

#19 ·
I did catless Mids with shorties and stock catback. I like the sound, not too loud, but deeper than stock. I'm not too sure about the smell, I always have a window down and never smell like exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
If you get cats then most of the smell will go away with Long Tube headers. Below are some JBA Long tubes that are great quality and the most complete header kit on the market for the BEST price. You can find these for sale from any of the sponsors on this forum.

JBA Stainless and Ceramic coated Long Tubes
6809SJS
http://0053839.netsolhost.com/product_images/Exhaust Products/JBA Exhaust/6809SJS.jpg

JBA Stainless Catted Mid-Pipes for 2004
6809SDC
http://0053839.netsolhost.com/product_images/Exhaust Products/JBA Exhaust/6809SDC.jpg

JBA Stainless Catted Mid-Pipes for 2005-2006
6810SDC
http://0053839.netsolhost.com/product_images/Exhaust Products/JBA Exhaust/6810SDC.jpg

If you have any questions please let me know.

Dustin

#23 ·
I've got pacesetter LT's and catless mids mated to a custom catback with Spintech mufflers. She sounds very nice, IMO. The idle isn't deafening, but you'll certainly know the car is running, lol. At WOT, she screams her blessed little heart out. With my setup, I deal with very little drone (if at all) and if I feel I need to be as quite as possible, I just drop the RPMs to idle and that usually quiets her down enough to only wake up only the stingiest of neighbors at 2 AM. Honestly, if you're looking for tone over volume, I'd focus on your catback more than headers and mids. Yes, they obvious play a factor in everything, but by adding headers and catless mids to mine, all it did was make her significantly louder. The tone and note stayed pretty much the same.

#25 ·
Ive had my Lts and Catless mids on my cars for about 40k ......... 15k of that was with the stock catback. I personally thought that was too quiet, so i went to dynomax bullets and a jegs x-pipe and i really liked the sound.

#26 ·
I haven't had Cats on the GTO or my Last Camaro, I love the smell and think my DD is weird cause I can't smell it, but a Mini without cats would be strange haha

#27 ·
I'm starting to not notice the smell as much on my catless mids. Can't wait to put on my Afterburners tomorrow for a better sound.

#30 ·
Hopefully the H will take some of the bite out. If its too loud I'll go to Borla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.