LS1GTO Forums banner

Coolant Failure on Track - Video

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  TObey 
#1 · (Edited)
Had a GREAT time with NASA Texas out at Motorsports Ranch in Houston this last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with the "HPDE Driver of the Year" award during the year end awards banquet on Sat night! I'm in TT now, but it was cool to be recognized like that!

1st session out on Sunday, I broke the track record for my class (TTC), so that felt pretty good! My best time was 1:50.532 (previous TTC record for CW direction was 1:52.???)

During the 3rd session on Sunday, I experienced a coolant issue though. I had a ride-along with me (by request of one of the grid girls) and I wasn't sure what the issue was at 1st (extra weight, overheated tires, etc ...). It became pretty obvious towards the end when I pitted out.

Coolant spray on the rear tires sure does make it interesting :)

#4 ·
Not very often. NASA has HPDE on their race weekends, and I think The Driver's Edge has one or two weekends a year. The track also does a couple of track days each year to raise money for charity. That's about it, as far as I know.

I like MSRH, but I've never run Cresson, so I can't compare.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I'd say Cresson and Houston are fairly similar tracks. I ran MSRH last year in the CCW direction, and CW this year; I like it better CW. Cresson I've only run CCW, and like that track as well. I think ECR is the only track in the schedule which the Goat really doesn't like. So many tight, off camber turns, upset the heavy beast!

I only run with NASA, and they go to each track in the region once a year, and offer HPDE run groups at each. You can check out their 2013 schedule to see the dates.

I'm sure MSRH has other organizations who offer HPDE days. You might contact the track and ask, or try SCCA and/or Driver's Edge for dates.

#6 ·
I like MSRH clockwise better also.

How did your brakes hold up at ECR? We melted down the stock setup on our 240sx last year. Literally melted the pad and bent it around the piston, etc. Luckily, I had just enough rear brakes to keep it out of the weeds. We switched to 4-piston Wilwoods after that.

#7 ·
How did your brakes hold up at ECR? We melted down the stock setup on our 240sx last year. Literally melted the pad and bent it around the piston, etc. Luckily, I had just enough rear brakes to keep it out of the weeds. We switched to 4-piston Wilwoods after that.
LOL, yep, ECR is really hard on everyone's brakes. My 1st time to ECR, I was on EBC yellows and experienced significant fading at the end of the back straight. Luckily, I was still mostly stock alignment specs so the understeer saved me from spinning off track. 2nd time out, I was on EBC blues, and it was much better, although I still experienced fade about 3/4 way through the sessions.

My last time to ECR I decided to try EBC oranges (new race only compound they started offering). New orange pads and new rotors ended up looking like this after the 1st day (four 20min sessions)

I'm now on Carbotech XP10 pads and don't think I'll go back to EBC at all. The Carbotech's performed fantastic at MSRH! Always consistent, no fading ... ie: very reliable and predictable.

#8 ·
The melted ones were Hawk Blues. We run one of the Wilwood compounds now on the front, and EBC yellows on the rear.

I used to have a CMC Firebird that I just used for track days. I ran Carbotechs on it. I think XP-12 on the ftont and XP8 on the rear? I'd have to go back and look at my notes to be sure. But I never ever had an issue with them; they were tremendous. The new owner of my Firebird is racing it now. I think he is number 30 in the CMC class.

#12 ·
The new owner of my Firebird is racing it now. I think he is number 30 in the CMC class.
Do you mean Ben? If that's your old car, it's doing great! I went through DE with Ben, and that car is setup nicely. I believe he finished in the Top 10 for 2012 and also won CMC rookie of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.