LS1GTO Forums banner

Spun a bearing - Swapping in an LS2-

21K views 376 replies 35 participants last post by  posenheimer 
#1 ·
Well, lastnight on my way home it appears i spit out the seal on the oil filter and puked out my oil. Parked it, still unaware. Started it to go to subway and didnt seam to want to turn over very well. Thought it was acting a little funny so i blipped the throttle a touch and heard a faint kbock so i killed it and pulled the dipstick. There was a one flake of bearing on the tip and No oil. So i was like wtf! I just checked it this morning!! Looked under it and sure enough the whole enderside is coated. Never smelled any oil , no lightsas a warning. Nothing.

I picked up a 60,000 LS2 out of an 05, with arp rod bolts for $900. Picking it up sunday,

I know im going to need the reluctor wheel converter box, and the wiring is different. What all will i need and what are the best places to find it? I have been searching all morning and found alot of questions, but really no answers. Plus it sucks from my Galaxy Ace :(

#3 ·
+1 That should cover most of it.

#8 ·
This ^ I'd be happy if I could find a 6L iron block for $500... you got a whole aluminum motor for $900. Crazy.

Late production Ls2's changed to a 58 tooth reluctor, so depending on what your Ls2 came out of, you may or may not need the converter box. I think the change started in '07 or late '06, all GTO's are the 24 tooth, Corvette, TBSS and SSR's could have either.
I'm pretty sure I saw it documented on this site somewhere that there were a couple late build '06 GTO's that had the 58 tooth. Common knowledge is they're all 24, but I could have sworn I saw 1 or 2 06 GTO guys say "no, I had my shit rebuilt, it definitely has a 58x."

That said, OP, if the "05" you're talking about is a GTO, you won't need the converter box.

#6 ·
I don't know if they use different part numbers or not, but the ECM wont have a problem as long as the wiring is right. The blocks resonate at the same frequency and the sensors pick up that frequency. The rest is wiring and sensor location.

#7 ·
Late production Ls2's changed to a 58 tooth reluctor, so depending on what your Ls2 came out of, you may or may not need the converter box. I think the change started in '07 or late '06, all GTO's are the 24 tooth, Corvette, TBSS and SSR's could have either.

#10 ·
Wow great guys! Itsjust the block and complete in block rotating assembly. Guy doesnt want to ship it is why its so cheap. The shortblock i out of an 05 gto! I like the arp rod bolts to :) It was N/a in a fox body bit the guy is trying to fund a termi swap onto it

#11 · (Edited)
You can check the link in my sig for some information since I'm basically transferring an entire 2005 into an 04.

The gist of it is that you will need:
-Converter box if the LS2 does not have a 24x reluctor. The change happened in 2006 model year.

2005 Corvette LS2 has 24x
2006 Corvette LS2 has 58x
2006 CTSV LS2 has 58x
2006 Trailblazer SS LS2 has 24x
2007-2009 Trailblazer SS LS2 has 58x
2005-2006 SSR has LS2 24x
2005-2006 GTO has 24x

You can tell what you have by the color of the crank position sensor located in the rear of the block by the starter.
58X is gray
24x is black

-Drill and tap your knock sensor holes for the LS1 knock sensors. Then get an LS1 knock sensor extension harness.

-Cam sensor extension harness.

-Reuse your LS6 intake, otherwise:
-MAP sensor extension harness
-Throttle cable bracket for LS2 manifold

I think that about covers it.

#34 · (Edited)
You can check the link in my sig for some information since I'm basically transferring an entire 2005 into an 04.

The gist of it is that you will need:
-Converter box if the LS2 does not have a 24x reluctor. The change happened in 2006 model year.

2005 Corvette LS2 has 24x
2006 Corvette LS2 has 58x
2006 CTSV LS2 has 58x
2006 Trailblazer SS LS2 has 24x
2007-2009 Trailblazer SS LS2 has 58x
2005-2006 SSR has LS2 24x
2005-2006 GTO has 24x

You can tell what you have by the color of the cam position sensor located in the rear of the block by the starter.
58X is gray
24x is black

-Drill and tap your knock sensor holes for the LS1 knock sensors. Then get an LS1 knock sensor extension harness.

-Cam sensor extension harness.

-Reuse your LS6 intake, otherwise:
-MAP sensor extension harness
-Throttle cable bracket for LS2 manifold

I think that about covers it.
A bit off topic, but just to clarify what I was getting at, I found my reference:

Moral of the story: check the color of your cam sensor to verify 100%
I think these 2 posts mean to say crank sensor color and not cam sensor,
Black crank sensor = 24X Reluctor Wheel
Gray crank sensor = 58X Reluctor Wheel

I still don't believe a GTO ever came stock with a 58X LS2 engine, the 2005,2006 GTO has a E40 PCM, the Corvette and TBSS and SSR that have the 58X LS2 engines either have a E38 or E67 PCM which would also require a completely different wiring harness as well.

#12 ·
Any know off the top of there heads the ls2 casting # or anything else the distinguishes an ls2 block. Need to look up the bore so i can check it aswell. Thanks for everyones help!!!!

#13 ·
Wow thanks Muhthugga! Ive seen around ls3 complete topends for around $700 so i will be selling my worked 243's and ls6 intake to cover most if not all of it. Slap in my new ed curtis cam and go to town lol.

#14 ·
Just make sure that the cam will fit if you decide to mill the heads any. Clearance can get very tight with flat-top pistons and the larger, angled intake valves.

And you will want to then get the MAP extension harness and fabricate a throttle cable bracket.

#17 ·
Good call! I was talking to posenhiemer about this aswell and he suggested i give Ed a heads up on my situation. Glad i did. Ed is spec'ing a new cam as the old one would have needed fly cut clear thrue the pistons lol.

#15 ·
A bit off topic, but just to clarify what I was getting at, I found my reference:

We've seen just a few GTO with production engines with a 58X reluctor. Typically this has been discovered only after the owner ordered a 24X engine and went to do the labor, and realized they got the odd-ball :( I would recommend that you verify it visually....this is like ordering pushrods without measuring, and can result in wasted money for shipping charges and more. If you want to guess, then the best guess is 24x (but again, there are exceptions out there)!
You are wrong. There are absolutely ZERO 58X reluctors in production GTO's.
Sorry to bust your bubble....We did one of these installs here, and it was an OE production sealed engine in an 06 GTO that covers had never been off of, and it was 58x. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself, but that's a fact.
Moral of the story: check the color of your cam sensor to verify 100%

#16 ·
Sounds good guys! Ill double check everything. I fully expect to fly cut. This custom hellion cam is massive. God i love this site.

#18 ·
Ed Curtis cam + Ls3 heads.....good combo, ask me how I know ;)

#19 ·
Im excited now. I still can believe i got this motor for $900. Gotta make sure i leave these 5.7 badges on here. That way i still get the " Oh its just a 5.7" speel. I think my car took the 05/06 hood, tails, and slpit exhaust a little to serious......

#21 ·
Hell yes. I was bummed at first and then the oppertunity to go bigger showed itself. That put a big ol sig right on my face. And to be honest its going to wind up cheaper for me. $900 ls2 + LS3 top end ($700) > LS1 + $2,000 aftermarket heads and $1,000 fast combo. The later was going to be needed for the new cam.

#23 ·
Mike i think we are build buddies. / NoHomo. You need to hit that......

With some spray

#26 ·
Damn Ed that was fast!!! Cant wait to see this one!

#28 · (Edited)
Damn it! Dont you put that evil on me! You can bet your ass the new motor is going to have a manual oil pressure gauge.

Is there anything i should change on the motor while its out? Like rings/bearings? ANything i can do to prevent the oil consuption issues that sometimes happen?

#29 ·
Damn it! DOnt you put that evil on me! You can bet your ass the new motor is going to have a manual oil pressure guage.

Is there anything i should change on the motor while its out? Like rings/bearings? ANything i can do to prevent the oil consuption issues that sometimes happen?
Hone plus new rings wouldn't hurt and that is cheap. If the bearings are good, it can just bolt back together. Doing bearings costs a bit more because the shop will have to machine the rods and then put a slightly larger bearing on.

I'd probably just toss it in if you are confident it is fine. 60k is nothing.

#31 ·
Why do the rods need resized if there was nothing wrong with the bearings? I have never resized them. Only if the rod bolts are changed or a bearing spun absolutley. But as long as the bearing snap into place firmly and they check out as far as roundness i see no reason to have them resized?

Is ther any advantage in my case running a .001 undersized bearing for a touch thicker oil film on the bearings for better protection? With the rods having ARP rod bolts i will set the limiter @ 6,900. Any input on this?

#33 ·
No lol. This short block already has ARP rod bolts :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.