LS1GTO Forums banner

Gforce Carbon Fiber driveshaft review thread

60K views 426 replies 95 participants last post by  Turbo kid 
#1 ·
Ok guys.. It's time to take a moment to share your install and drivability experiences of the new Gforce Engineering Carbon Fiber Driveshafts.

I know who you are and where you live :)
If you dont jump in here, I'll send my boys by for a visit, LOL
:pimp:

Ok.. you got me, my boys are only 8 and 10 year olds but I'll send em over, LOL

#338 ·
has anyone installed the carbon fiber ds with a spintech catback with the mufflers in the 04 spot? how was the fitment? im gonna be putting mine in tomorrow

#340 ·
Well i got my CF drive shaft in about a week ago and so far its been awesome. The ride is smooth and i can tell a big difference over the stock DS. My g/f said that she noticed the noise inside of the car was quieter. I had a small vibration in the stock DS so maybe thats what was causing the noise. But now its gone and everything is smooth again.

#349 ·
It finally arrived :D

It looks great and I can't wait for the rear to arrive so I can enjoy the new driveshaft. Thanks to Andy (Avas) for all the help in getting stuff sent over here for me.

Attachments

#352 ·
Look what else showed up today!! Getting close now :)

Attachments

#353 ·
Good stuff.

#356 ·
Mine is in, won't be able to test drive it for a while though

#359 ·
I'll be calling Monday to order new rearend parts. I don't know why I don't like ordering parts over the internet. KC be ready my friend.

#365 ·
I'm installing your carbon fiber driveshaft right now with you adapter plate. Ran into some confusion. You supply 7 bolts in total. 3 black bolts to bolt the adapter plate to the differential and 4 gold to bolt the adapter to the driveshaft. Then you supply 8 lock washers.

This is where I'm confused. The lock washers don't fit over the black bolts. Am I supposed to use them on the black bolts? If not, why were 8 lock washers supplied? Am I supposed to double them up on the gold bolts?

The instructions don't mention lock washers at all. But you guys are closed now so I figured I'd see if you guys were on the site tonight. If not, I'll call tomorrow. Thanks ahead of time.

#367 ·
No worries. I'm not in a huge rush to get this in.

But thanks for the call and for replying to this so quickly. I'll be sure to post up in here once I get it all back together.

#369 ·
Well, I'm pretty happy with your CF driveshaft. I was worried about vibrations and turn out it's smoother the the factory driveshaft. I've tested it up to 110mph and it's completely smooth. It feels more connected when you shift and get on it. Probably cause you don't have the extra play cause by the carrier bearing on the stock shaft and it can't flex at the center either. Also it got rid of my clunk and made shifts smoother. Some things I wasn't expecting though were the jingling noise it makes sometimes. I'm assuming that the U-joints. Also, it seems to transmit more gear noise from the trans/diff an low speed, low RPM (less than 1.5k) driving.

Only issues I had installing it was I wasn't able to get any socket on the 4 bolts that connect the driveshaft to the billet adapter. Just wasn't enough room. So I had to use an open end side of a wrench and couldn't follow the torque specs. I also have no clearance issues. It's close in some areas but I have all poly bushings in the rear as well as poly engine/trans mounts so it isn't going to be able to move around much.

I tried to attach pictures of my install but the server to upload pictures to this site says it's down. I'll try again later.

#404 ·
Well, I'm pretty happy with your CF driveshaft. I was worried about vibrations and turn out it's smoother the the factory driveshaft. I've tested it up to 110mph and it's completely smooth. It feels more connected when you shift and get on it. Probably cause you don't have the extra play cause by the carrier bearing on the stock shaft and it can't flex at the center either. Also it got rid of my clunk and made shifts smoother. Some things I wasn't expecting though were the jingling noise it makes sometimes. I'm assuming that the U-joints. Also, it seems to transmit more gear noise from the trans/diff an low speed, low RPM (less than 1.5k) driving.
I just wanted to update this so there isn't any bad information in this thread. The jingling noise and low RPM groan I was experiencing ended up being my Monster Level 1 clutch kit. It started chattering really badly so I took it out with less than a years use on it and replaced it with a LS7 kit with RAM flywheel. So the noise had nothing to do with the CF driveshaft.

#370 ·
Still can't upload directly to the forum so I added them to my Imgur account. Either way, here they are.

#371 ·
Very nice shaft you have there sir!

Thanks for posting up the great photo's and feedback, we really appreciate it.

You might pay attention to that jingle noise you hear, you might have a loose dust cover on the diff or something. The shaft shouldnt make any noise like that.

Thanks
Chris

#373 ·
Dust cover on the diff? I didn't know there was one. Can you tell me where it is? I'm going to get under there again tomorrow to check for any loose bolts and I'll look for this now. The jingling noise almost sounds like a loose bolt rattling around. It's a higher pitched metal on metal noise.

Purty! I can't wait to drive mine!
You'll love it. I just can't believe I was worried about it adding vibrations to my car and it actually did the opposite and removed some!

#372 ·
Purty! I can't wait to drive mine!

#374 ·
I thought the flange was more of a triangle rather then a circle?

#377 ·
Well I just got under it and I looked at the pinion flange and found that dust cover. Tight as ever with no movement. Same with every bolt and I check most of my rear suspension/half shaft bolts while I was under there also just to play it safe. The only thing I noticed that could cause some noise is the slip yoke. I can push up on the drive shaft part of the slip yoke and it clunks around inside the trans. So it's not completely tight in there. Not a whole lot of play but there is enough to make me wonder. Any ideas?

The drive shaft side of the slip yoke sticks out of the trans about an inch, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

#380 ·
The billet adapter is by far the easiest to install and it's really strong. We use big 7/16-20 to attached it to the driveshaft.
The billet adapter option is cheaper as well, not as much machine work to make the adapter vs the billet yoke.

Thanks
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.