LS1GTO Forums banner

E30 BMW drag suspension setup

15K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  magnum-gto 
#1 ·
So, i was thinking about the similarities between the E30 BMW and GTO suspension... e30 bmw has a remotely similar suspension setup to our cars - semi trailing arm. differential is bolted to the subframe. seems they have no toe link, however.

http://www.speichers.com/e30_suspension.htm

Then, I thought, somebody somewhere has drag raced an E30. So I did some google-fu.

take a look at this E30 and it's setup, and tell me what you think.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php/33066-Serious-E30-rear-supension(drag-racing)

looks like he did away with the rear subframe entirely. differential bolts to some kind of tubular member that is attached to the framerails, looks like?

control arms are these massive tubular constructs that attach FAR forward, perhaps where 4 link SRA arms would attach. This probably allows for some pretty massive weight transfer, excellent toe/camber control and i doubt he has any wheelhop issues. ;)

plz discuss.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks interesting. I have heard somewhere that the designer of the GTO/Monaro suspension used to work for BMW. But don't take my word for it. This might explain the simularities

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, that crossmember is effectively the same as the GTO cradle.
Probably a few pounds lighter, and performs the same function.

I'm not familiar with this suspension....it is difficult to see a clear advantage
over the existing GTO suspension though.

edit: I do see one...let's play find Waldo. Who can identify the capability this
suspension has that is missing from the GTO.:)

#18 ·
Arm length is much more critical in SRA applications, and have a totally
different function.

#17 ·
Our 8.8 mount is solid......but then being deaf can have some advantages.:eek:ldfogey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.