LS1GTO Forums banner

Porting my ls2 intake

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  KO6GTO 
#1 · (Edited)
deleted

#6 ·
What size cut diameter works best? Or should I get a few different sizes?

#8 ·
First time? If so, I'd suggest doing the porting with small sanding drums instead of a carbide bit. The sanding drums can be had in different coarsenesses (and diameters) for rough cutting and smoothing. Sanding drums may take a little longer (not much really), but since you are working on plastic instead of metal this isn't a bad thing. With a carbide bit you can dig clean through the plastic a lot quicker than you think.

I ported my LS2 intake in 3-4 hours using sanding drums only and never made any gouge cuts I wanted to undo. You can see the results on my GTO website.

#9 ·
you do need to use light pressure and go slow with the carbide for a first timer. But once you get the hang of it goes very quickly. I do finish blending with a 80 grit sanding roll to make the corners nice and round and smooth it all up.

1/2" diameter carbide burrs are a good size. I port 3-4 intakes a week so time = money is why I use carbide to remove material quickly.

The same type of burrs in single cut style work well on the aluminum throttle bodies. Or a CNC machine if you have one of them in your garage LOL

#10 · (Edited)
Great advice guys! Going to be finishing it up today will update
Rinsed all the plastic crud out and set it in front of a fan for a couple hours
then installed it and went to get some gas
Seems to rev better but it is thirty degrees and i haven't driven the goat in forever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.