LS1GTO Forums banner

Whatever happened to the issue of the wheels on 2004 GT0s that they scraped the well?

842 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  slammin86 
#1 ·
I saw a possible recall back in 2007 but if I google it nothing comes up after that.

I had a few issues with my car, including a blow out on Christmas, where the tire was ripped apart from scraping the sides. I seem to remember there was a possible class action suit on it as well.

Anyone have any updates?

#2 ·
There was never a recall. The issue, as I recall it, was the tires scraping the strut due to very close tolerances and alignments being off from Holden strapping the cars down to the ship. It wasn't singled out to just the 2004 model year, as it affected most cars with the 17" wheels with 245-series tires. The 18" wheels with the narrower 235-series tires didn't have this issue. That said, it didn't affect every car either. Build tolerances are all over the place with these cars too since a lot of the assembly of these cars were done by hand.

I think the threatening of the suit against GM was due to GM putting wider wheels on the car than it was designed to handle (sad but true). Think that threat fizzled into oblivian once it was realized the car's needed to be realigned.

I've owned (2) 04's with 17" wheels and OEM tires and never once had an issue with the tires rubbing the struts. Proper alignment and replacing any worn bushings was always the key for me.

#3 ·
No problems here either. I've had 245's on 17's as well as the current 18" set up.

#4 ·
My car when it was stock had front strut rub issues. I even posted a few pics I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.