LS1GTO Forums banner

Brake pads n' Nat

2K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  miker 
#1 ·
So, serenity is due for a brake change. I'm looking at some Hawk HPS pads all around. They sound pretty good, but I know nothing about Hawk. My goat is a weekend warrior. she stays parked for most of the week and some occasional drag racing, but nothing too harsh. still running stock rotors and everything. Good brand? Its either Hawk or EBC red stuff. Also, what kind of pads/brake set ups are you all running? I've always been curious to see what other owners run on their set ups with their given usage of the cars.

#2 ·
I put on EBC yellows when I upgraded to the 05/06 setup. At the time, I wanted to have brakes that would be good for daily driving, and also the couple times per year I was hoping to make it to HPDEs.
The daily driving has continued, while I haven't been to a HPDE in far too long. Here are my impressions of the yellows thus far...
They work very well. They're quiet (quieter than I expected), haven't shown any signs of lacking stopping power in cold conditions (daily driver in Minnesota, including winter), and feel great when warmed up.
Now for the negatives. I'm assuming that they're eating the rotors faster than a milder pad would (which I'm fine with and expected, but also haven't proven), and they do make a whole bunch of dust. Expect to clean your wheels weekly unless you want them to look like an unmaintained German car or Saab.
Bottom line. I'm upgrading to CTS-V brakes up front, and will be researching different pads than the yellows. I can't recommend them for a car that is a DD. I don't have longevity results yet, though, as I only have 10k miles on them.

#3 ·
Yeah the yellow seems a bit excessive for my needs. Red stuff sounds just fine to me. Thanks for the insight on that!

#4 ·
I've had issues with every set of EBC pads I have ran. I was always told "That was a bad compound; try the new version and you will like them." BS; EBC just sucks.

If you DD just run Hawk PC pads. I got nearly 50k out of my first set including 3 seasons of AutoX.

#5 ·
I got nearly 50k out of my first set including 3 seasons of AutoX.
:ftw: Hot damn, that's impressive. I've got my actual DD back up and running again, so the goat is parked for now until i can get my hands on some pads. You said the hawk HPS pads? Cause those are the ones i've been looking at...

#8 ·
I have the HPS pads with DBA T-3 rotors, works good. I've had the 4000xs rotors and ran the HPC, factory and HPS pads. The rotors are a big improvement over the stockers, and the pads are as well.

The HPS pads are quiet and stop well, but are dusty.

#17 ·
Very dusty. It's quite annoying if you have a nice set of wheels to keep looking clean and nice. The dust deposit is of a bronze color too. They are quiet until they get really dusty and get a lot of heat into them, then they can get a little squeaky. Overall for the price, they are a good pad for DD and the occasional blast down some windy roads. They do work well with DBA rotors and the rotor/pad fade is night and day difference over stock. It is linear for the most part and does progress as you would expect without scaring the crap out of you.

Hawk Performance Ceramic. Quiet; low dust; last forever; great while cold to medium heat.

Don't run EBC pads on DBA rotors as you will get heat spots during breakin due to breakin compounds or something.
The Hawk Performance Ceramic is what I would go for OP. I think for your application that you would find this a good pad for you and a great DD pad that is easy on your brakes and will give you great mileage and use out of them. I would stay away from EBC stuff. Period.

As far as the Carbotech pad. I can't wait to go back to the AX6 pad. Has a nice rotor/pad wear pattern. It is a little aggressive on the street if you're concerned about cold pad bite and grab, but once heated up they have a very linear feel and grab really great. They are a little more pricey but I think they might be worth it if you're looking to beat on them a little more than usual.

#19 ·
Well, thanks for all the info guys. While I thought my order for hawk HPS pads didn't go through, come to find out it did and ill probably be getting them tomorrow, lol. Oh well. I'll give the HPS a shot then go for the PC's after that.

#21 ·
They are much quieter then the HP+ but the PC is still the best pad for a DD.

#23 ·
for the record, my EBC blues ndx have been perfect on my cts-v setup. I had hp+ on my stockers and hated them due to noise and dust. the blues still dust a bit, but they really bed in smoothly on my BMW rotors. very happy.

#24 ·
My opinion of EBC Blues by picture. Worse pads I ever put on my car.

#27 ·
DBA/HAWK=:turbonaug
Upgrade to the 05/06, it is really worth it!!

#30 ·
So, I just checked the rotor on my way back inside after my morning work out, and the front side looks mediocre, at best... There's small stress fractures forming, but nothing too serious. The back side, however... I could feel a fairly deep gouge in the rotor. I could pull it and get it resurfaced, but the gouge may be deep enough to scrap the rotor already :(

Looks like I'll be making an upgrade to DBA rotors a lot sooner than I expected. (Oh, and don't worry, I haven't been driving the goat. I've got a crappy little island beater for a DD. It's an ugly little geo tracker, but man does that thing refuse to die)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#31 ·
Wouldn't you know, shipping to hawaii is going to be absolutely bonkers for rotors. I got a quote of $166 just on shipping for all 4 rotors of DBA 4000 series... I need to PCS and get the hell off this island already so I don't get screwed on shipping costs.

#32 ·
I too am looking to do a brake job soon, i have some great vibration that occurs when braking from like 40-55mph.

Rob, just noticed a new type of DBA rotors you're selling, the "street series" what's the core difference between those and the 4000.

#33 ·
they don't have the heat paint that the 4000 series to, the design is a bit different, they don't dissipate heat quite as well.

my personal opinion, go with the 4000 series, but that's just my opinion.

the street series are not as available either, so if you did want to order them i would want to check on availability first.

i know the street series slotted rear rotors for the 05-06 are 12 weeks out.

#34 ·
ok, makes sense. I'll probably go with the 4000.

I know it's a newer product, though you guys should probably differentiate them a bit more, maybe a comparison chart or something (if there isnt already one) since based on the pic they look almost the same.

#35 ·
The T2's seem to be more like OEM replacement, versus the 4000 series T3's are blatant upgrades. I'm gonna go with Rob on this and say just go the few extra dollars for the 4000's

#36 ·
I love my 4000 Drilled/Slotted. I have like 3 seasons of Auto; one trackday; and 50k street miles on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.