LS1GTO Forums banner

Comp's Thumper

5K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  bookemdano 
#1 ·
Anybody running the Comp Cams Thumper cam?
Saw an ad so I ran a seach, but came up with nothing.
I have stock heads so I'm not looking for insane lift. Just wanting a little power and some good sound.
Any user thoughts/opinions?

#2 ·
Ed Curtis Streetsweeper or Streetsweeper HT. Although you are in Germany with the Autobahn. So high speed runs can happen legally, lol.

The Thumper is just for show and not go. It will idle all erratic and sound cool, but not make you move like and Ed Curtis cam will. http://www.flowtechinduction.com/

#3 ·
No offense to EdC, but blanket statements that his are the best are so far unfounded. I'd say talk with the person you're spending you're money with, see what they say.

I've gone with a Vengeance cam for my new project, and went with one for my last. I talked with Ron and Mike about my goals, and they advised me on my selection. I'm sure Ed's a great guy, and a smart one at that, but there is something about calling someone on the phone Vs. a "fill-in-the-blank-and-I'll-get-back-to-you-when-I-can" kind of deal.

We've got a ton of choices in LSx land, why limit yourself to one company? Call HSC, Texas Speed, ETMC, etc.... then find what works best.

-P

#10 ·
I'm sure Ed's a great guy, and a smart one at that, but there is something about calling someone on the phone Vs. a "fill-in-the-blank-and-I'll-get-back-to-you-when-I-can" kind of deal.

-P
If you prefer to talk to a counterman for your camshaft design, that's fine. I have nearly thirty dealers who sell my stuff that anyone can speak to over the phone. However, I don't do that. There's not enough time to complete the work I have in the schedule and while spending hours on the phone discussing why an "XYZ" grind is different than an "ABC" grind. That's for countermen to handle.

If a potential customer is serious about their goals, they can contact me via Email. That's the best communication method and I check all day long. If an enthusiast wants to talk, well there are a host of FTI valvetrain dealers on the FTI website than can speak to. I just don't have the luxury to hang on the phone and get the orders completed and shipped out...

Ed

#4 ·
Did I say his was the best? Nope I didn't. I said his cames are good and make good power. Which they do. Many other cams do that also, but there is also a lot of crap out there.

#5 ·
Did I say his was the best? Nope I didn't.
No, you didn't. I have heard that statement before though, so I kinda lumped you in. Sorry.

... but there is also a lot of crap out there.
Very true. I've seen what some people are touting as a "good" cam, only to find out they totally missed the mark, and will change it out later for something proper.

-P

#13 ·
Did I say his was the best? Nope I didn't.
"Ed's cams are the best."........."mad torque"
just messin' with you guys.....:)

#6 ·
I had one of the big bad nasty cams for my goat back in the day. AZPS-03 242/248 .624/.615 on a 111. Surged with the 3.46 gears in 6th gear. Was awesome with the 3.91's, but only got 20mpg on the highway with it.

A good shop will listen to your goals and spec you a cam that will get the job done with the most power under the curve. Something Ed's cams are famous for. There is a reason a lot of people like his cams. They produce good useable power. Might not be the highest peak power, but his cams are some of the quickest in real life driving.

The other thing some people do is tell the shop what they want to run and not listen to reason if it's to big of a cam or wrong for their combo. If you treat me like a prick and tell me what to do, then screw you if it doens't turn out the best. You should have listened to reason and not TOLD a shop what you want done. Rather listen to their experience and plan your car together.

#7 ·
AZPS, lol @ the memories.

#8 ·
Their cams were actually Ed Curtis grinds. I got my work done there a year and half before they went downhill. Definitely sucked for the people their closing affected.

#16 ·
Exactly.

I WANT LOPE AND TO GO FAST LUZ
Ok heres your cam
- crappy results

versus
Fill out all this paperwork with details of your setup and wants
Ok heres your cam
-wow, its exactly what I asked for, how about that

#17 ·
I WANT LOPE AND TO GO FAST LUZ
Ok heres your cam
- crappy results

versus
Fill out all this paperwork with details of your setup and wants
Ok heres your cam
-wow, its exactly what I asked for, how about that
:eek:hsnap1:

lol. More people need to follow this advice.

#21 ·
I called TS and they said I should go with the Muther thumper. I also called a couple of other places in a 2-3 month time frame and they all said the same thing. So at thsi point they cant be all bad. I picked up the mutha thumper and should be in in a 2-4 weeks.

OMG LS6 can you pm me more info on your set up. This motor is going in a 71 chevelle and would love to see the set up you have and possible hear it.

Thanks.

#22 ·
The Thumpr cam series is pretty worthless from a performance point of view. It's all about the sound (idle lope). It's basically for garage queen show cars. They have a lobe separation of 109 degrees to give them a very "choppy" idle. Lift is nothing special and the duration split is super wide, not what I would want. It'll run like crap in the low RPM range.

This was taken straight from the Comp Cams press release:

Let’s face it, few things serve to grab our attention at a car show or cruise night more than a car with a thumping, high performance idle. In fact, one of the most frequent questions fielded when customers call our CAM HELP® tech line is “what cam will give my engine a mean-sounding idle?” In response to this popular demand, the COMP Cams® engineering team proudly introduces the Thumpr™ series of camshafts.

#26 ·
This was also taken from Comps press release (gotta love selective editing):
The reason that the new Thumpr™ Camshafts have such an aggressive exhaust note is that the lobe profiles and grind characteristics chosen by the COMP Cams® engineers produce a combination of early exhaust valve opening, long exhaust duration and a generous amount of intake and exhaust overlap to maximize the rough-idling characteristics of the cams without negatively impacting the power output or streetability.

Thumpr™ Camshafts are available in three different grind profiles for each engine, all of which will produce a rough, racy exhaust note and impressive amounts of horsepower and torque. Their cutting-edge design means that they will deliver a substantial power increase over "tamer" camshaft grinds without sacrificing reliability or ease of maintenance.

Test Parameters
Engine: 350cid, 290 horsepower GM crate engine
Cylinder Heads: RHS™ 180cc runners, 64cc chambers (assembled) #12023-01
Lifters: COMP Cams® High Energy™ Hyd. Flat Tappets #812-16
Rocker Arms: COMP Cams® Magnum 1.52 ratio #1412-16
Manifold: Weiand dual plane intake manifold
Carb: 750 Holley HP (Thumpr™) 650 Holley HP (Stock Cam)
Headers: 1 3/4" Hooker Headers
Mufflers: Magnum Race Mufflers & 18" extensions
Electrical: Stock HEI distributor

*Unless noted above all components stock
Performed At Westech Performance (12-28-07)

According to this chart, there are some nice gains to be had with the Thumpr line (at least with a Gen 1 SBC), I don't see them as being worthless.

OP, you might want to give Comps tech line a call, I'm sure they've done some testing on the LSx line of Thumpr cams and can give you a comparison between the Thumpr and some of their other grinds.

#23 ·
Wow,

So in other words, comp cams has gone far enough to "specifically" make a cam for people that only want to sound fast, not actually be fast. Instead of putting more R and D into a cam that would make more power they just chop the LSA down to a 109-111 on old duration/lift profiles for sound........wow........do you think they actually sell these things? You would think they would want people to actually come back and buy more products from them. Instead they sell the thumper and the customer goes through all the work of installing it......they get minimal gains, and basically get really pissed that they only "sound" the part.

wow

#24 ·
You can't blame a company for actually providing a market segment with what they want. Not everyone is concerned with "power" (for the life of me I can't understand that) or even function. How many times in a week do you see some guy rolling around on 22"+ wheels, some huge ass spoiler or bright ass Neon Lights (which actually look cool on my Harley. Lol...). koodos to Comp for actually finding another way to sell a product. Just another "ricer" move in my book. I mean who wouldn't want to spend a lot of money restoring an old muscle car making it look and sound badass only to be slower than moma's Maxima. :bomb: Lol...

#27 ·
Be nice to see LSx graphs.

#28 ·
#36 ·
Well, of course it will out perform a stock cam on the dyno (peak HP). My point is that it's more for the sound than performance. Plenty of other cams offer better driveability that will out perform the Thumpr. I'd like to see an independent review of the Thumpr vs. a few other popular LSx cams. But hey, to each their own. Some people love the lumpy idle. I'm personal more impressed with performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.