LS1GTO Forums banner

Cam and header install question/party

2K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  17cak 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone local to the Seattle area have experience with cam and header install on these ls2's. I'm trying to figure out where I want some money to go and if I can avoid the labor costs of the install for them I can do that and some suspension bits also. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I know with someone that has the experience of the steps for our cars that it would be much quicker than me alone.

Is anyone here up for helping with these?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Just got the goat and already planning the headers/cam lol? Nice... I've had mine for a year and am still stock.

#5 ·
Get radius rod bushings at the least.

#7 · (Edited)
Rear diff insert is cheap and useful too. But beware sway bar bushings (rear) are supposedly evil. I am still putting off my install. One day.....

#9 ·
This car is definately pretty easy to work on, so far i've done all my own labor except the true trac. And that was springs struts, headers, clutch, motor/ trans mounts, some bushings here and there, and about to do a cam kit along with lifters, timing chain, oil pump. As long as you take your time and do it right with the right tools you shouldnt have any issues.

#10 ·
The jobs are easy just take your time doing them.

#11 ·
Thanks guys. Ill be orderin the long tubes soon. Before Xmas likely. Saturday ill be putting on a new ported intake and tb. My neighbor will be a second set of hands for the headers. I'm just curious now how I'm goin to get the headers to match up to my current car back, which ever brand headers I go with.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
Alright. The time is almost here to buy parts. Requested a quote from Ed C. Today. I thought I'd bump this and see if anyone is interested in being paid in beer and pizza to help install a cam and long tubes. Ill be swapping heads and redoing the valve train as well as installing a double roller timing chain. When the heads are off, ill get the headers and catless mids in since ill have more room.

So anyone interested? I'd appreciate any helpful hands or even smart ass commentary I suppose too haha.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
Too bad you do not live close to us we have done several of these partys in the past. You can do it on your own just search the web there is pleanty of info and I have a lot of pics if you want any to see what is involved. There is also the website that explains everything. Here is the website link. http://ls1howto.com/ Good Luck!

#18 ·
C'mon fellas, I know some of you guys up north want to welcome this guy by helping him out... :attachment::thumbs:

#20 ·
PM me the location and details. I'm not much of a wrencher but can at least be and extra set of eyes and hands. I think the wife will give me a hall pass for Sunday.

#23 ·
Good to meet you today. Sorry I could only help for a few hours. Keep us updated on the progress. We will have to go for a cruise when you finish it. I should be able to get the stock skid plate to you by next weekend.

#24 ·
You as well. Thanks for coming by. A second set of hands and eyes are always helpful. You were clutch for the hardest things.

I can't wait to get her running and ill definitely have to come out and cruise around.

Oh and thanks for the skid plate. I definitely appreciate it. Ill have beer waiting.

#28 ·

Sorry to spam your thread with pictures hope this gives you an idea.

#29 ·
No worries at all. Ill get my link to the cam swap and the head swap write ups I'm using. I've gone back and forth between a couple different write ups. None have been all inclusive for a head and cam swap at the same time together. But it's all good. There's one from this site that is fantastic. It's a bulk of what I've used. Ill post em tomorrow.

#30 ·
Cool! Look foward to seeing it. :thumbs:

#31 ·
Just remember, no matter how many times you've done it,take your time and you'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.