LS1GTO Forums banner

Having an uneven braking issue?

2K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  angelo1000r 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 Gto m6 with a pedders fast rack and a pedders street 2 kit! And other pedders mods. The issue I'm having is when I apply the brakes my steering wheel moves and the whole car seems unsettled? I also have a brembo big brake kit on the car, but it did this before I did the brake mod? So is it an abs issue, alignment issue, are needs to be re-bleed?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Also, the steering does feel the same on both sides of the wheel? As in if a turn left tight if I turn right it's tight but loose? That makes me think alignment issue? Are the rack isn't sintered

#3 ·
#4 ·
I'm having a hard time understanding what's happening.

When you hit the brakes, does the car pull to one side? How does the steering wheel move? Does is vibrate, move in/out, turn right/left?

Does the ABS light come on? If not, it's probably not an ABS issue, but could be air in one caliper (depending on what's happening).

#5 ·
Car pulls to the right and then left under braking, it's all over! And the steering wheel moves with it! It did it before I installed the brembo's on the car! At frist I would feel like the brake where causing it, but now not sure? That why I'm thinking of bleeding the brakes, and doing another alignment on the car and starting over!

#6 ·
Steering wheel moves left to right! Under braking, and the feel right to left when moving the wheel is tighter to the left than the right! the alignment is way of to if you let the wheel go it pulls right!

#7 ·
get it aligned then. Ask the shop for the pre and post alignment specs on a printout. If it doesn't fix it, post the specs up here.

Bad alignment settings can absolutely cause the car to react like that during braking.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Get an alignment and bleed your brake fluid. $50 for alignment, plus 30 minutes of yours and a buddy's time for the brake bleed.

#10 ·
Got the car in the shop, for an alignment and brake bleed. Will know something soon! Thanks

#12 ·
#15 ·
The car is getting fixed, lol, but I'm sick of always putting money into to it, and always running into problems doing anything with it! Half the after market shit doesn't fit right! And the car total performance isn't that great! I'm drove a c6 vette 2 week ago and man that is such a better built car and just the platform is so much better! Think I'm just done with the the hole Gto b.s. if the car came from the factor with an A arm front suspension and a proper drive line, all that drive line slack makes the car feel like a dump truck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#16 ·
You're comparing a sub $30k muscle car to a ~$50k sports car ... Of course the vette is going to handle better.

I've been tracking my GTO since April 2011 and have very impressed with the reliability of it. Keeping up with regular maintance, along with replacing worn bushings is all I've really needed to do to mine. Even through all the body flexing on track, I still have zero rattles and it drives beautifully on the street.

I will say parts are not cheap on this platform, but you can't knock the macpherson strut design when the car isn't a sports car ... it's a muscle car ... keeping true with the original intent of the GTO name

#17 ·
who did all the suspension work for you?

if you did it yourself have you checked all your bolts since them

did you get a proper alignment after the rack install - did they center up your wheel and even our your tie rods during the alignment.

you issues is most likely not the brakes its the rack or the rack installation. This was said previously up above by someone else.

and another thing how may miles - perhaps you need to ball joints too. parts wear out - if you have 75k+ miles on it consider that you need to replace some parts.

#18 ·
That wearing out issue - is why a new cars feels more connected when you drive it.

because it is. I always sit back amazed when I hear people go on and on about how great a new car felt (even a newer used car) vs what they are driving.

and they've never replaced a ball join, strut (shock) etc etc. I have 98K on my g8 - it feels worn out. In the next 2 months it will get new struts and new ball joints in preparation for the new year.

#19 ·
Classic.
Slaps a bunch of parts on there wrong, doesn't like the results.
Can't fix the car *easily* so gives up and blames the car.

:gtfo:

#24 ·
I am sorry, I am from Sweden and I dont get it! You buy a car that is in stock. You remove stock parts that Companys have spend $100k on development on to make sure the car "handle" and feels good to drive, so you can get some "performance" parts on there insted. Keep in mind the smaller companys do NOT spend $10,000 for development on these items for handling. And you asume that if you go to a local workshop pay them a small amount of money they will spend loads of hours to get it right for you? Not all, but most of thouse are not bothering to get it right, they just slam it on and say they are done. they can just say its the item that makes it out of balance, but hey they can fix it for a small price. If you wanna put aftermarket items on your car, you have to do like the rest of us that really want it to be done perfect.. DO IT YOURSELF

#28 ·
Update, we have checked the brake lines and now working on doing another alignment and setting everything back to zero factory setting! I believe the whole issue was from a hacker going the alignment! I agree on building and going the work myself! I have built plenty of superbikes and mustangs in the past and I don't trust shop hacks an at, but I figured I would be safe with an simple alignment? Nope!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
post some pics when you get a chance, I haven't seen many GTOs with the brembo big brake kit...

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.