LS1GTO Forums banner

Spun a bearing - Swapping in an LS2-

21K views 376 replies 35 participants last post by  posenheimer 
#1 ·
Well, lastnight on my way home it appears i spit out the seal on the oil filter and puked out my oil. Parked it, still unaware. Started it to go to subway and didnt seam to want to turn over very well. Thought it was acting a little funny so i blipped the throttle a touch and heard a faint kbock so i killed it and pulled the dipstick. There was a one flake of bearing on the tip and No oil. So i was like wtf! I just checked it this morning!! Looked under it and sure enough the whole enderside is coated. Never smelled any oil , no lightsas a warning. Nothing.

I picked up a 60,000 LS2 out of an 05, with arp rod bolts for $900. Picking it up sunday,

I know im going to need the reluctor wheel converter box, and the wiring is different. What all will i need and what are the best places to find it? I have been searching all morning and found alot of questions, but really no answers. Plus it sucks from my Galaxy Ace :(

#316 ·
Neither car is CHEAP...

But I doubt a 403cu, YSi, Meth Kit, Built Trans/Diff, full supporting mods, suspension, drag pack.... vs LS6/$4500 heads/$400 cam/LT's/Built Trans&Diff (RPM STUFF!)/stock fuel pump/ injectors/Drag Pack/suspension would cost more then BlownBlueZ

Both kool cars tho..

As for your Vendor, Tell them that 2.6H Kenne Bell Cobras barley break 600whp @ 19psi of boost with supporting mods on the dyno.. 2.3 Whipples at 17psi are around 570-580 there.

#317 ·
Yup, I think ill just take the #`s with a grain of salt then lol

#318 ·
#322 ·
388 setup has been 9.33 last I knew... The old 346 Stock Ls6 went 9.98

#323 ·
Damn that is hauling some serious @SS. Ill have to go back and see what you predicted before for my Dyno numbers and see how close we are lol. I just hope this centerforce holds up untill I get home :/

#325 ·
Dyno day is today :) Will keep everyone posted

#327 ·
Had some issues on the Dyno today. Made my first pull and got 444/418 or something close, and made a fueling change (was still lean) and picked up 10 rwhp from one change. FOund out my TPS sensor was acting up, and wasnt registering the correct values at WOT to actually give my car WOT fueling/timing. The Dyno operator was impressed with my car, and said he thinks 480 RWHP is attainable on pump gas!!! It put down 454/425 before we figured out the oops on the TPS. Pretty good IMO on that stingy dynojet.

#330 ·
Thanks! Im pretty happy concidering the issues it had. Im real impressed with my buddys cam only 05` that put down 435/418

Is your car still Cable Operated TB??

Looks like you were hitting PE after 4600rpm... Did you try just target the g/cyl vs RPM timing table you were running in to get your peak numbers while you were there?
Yes still cable operated!

I just made the first run, tried a fueling change and I didnt do anything so we were looking at why and found out the TPS sensor was only going to like 80%, and Dan said it wasnt allowing it to go into WOT fueling. I spent 2-3 hours on the Dyno myself lol

#329 ·
Is your car still Cable Operated TB??

Looks like you were hitting PE after 4600rpm... Did you try just target the g/cyl vs RPM timing table you were running in to get your peak numbers while you were there?

#331 ·
Nice! She's definitely not just any old '04 any more, haha. I think once you clean it up, 460-470 is very realistic, but I don't doubt 480 being in your reach.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#332 ·
480 would be noy on pumpgas lol. It would be just for the number if I wanted to. Im more interested in getting this issue fixed and getting the tune squared away, then a set of gears and tires!

#333 ·
Hell yeah. Side topic: I got my Svede on, and I'm dyno tuning today as well. :D

Obviously, dynos aren't the end-all-be-all, but rather how it feels on the street. How's she feel out on the roads?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#334 ·
It feels very very strong, It pulls hard from any rpm I put it in lol

GL btw! What are you looking for #`s wise?

#342 ·
Hmm I thought it was 5. On my dipstick it shows 5 as being full :/ Hopesomeone can chime in with that!

#349 · (Edited)
aftermarket, BBK 80mm on 66Lemans 2002 Firehawk only shows 88% At WOT... where do you have your PE Enable set to 90%??? Factory anything above 5200rpm (IIRC) triggers PE at 30% throttle...

As for raising the REV limiter... The Dyno will tell ya where to rev it to(Does your power curve start to take a downward turn after 6700rpm?)... No sense in REVING the SHIT out of it not making any progress in the power curve... What Mchicia1 fails to realize is ROBZ's motor is setup to continue to make power that high... His cam is setup and heads are set to make progress with the LARGE BORE/Short STOKE. If you watch your VE table or g/cyl during WOT pulls you will see on NA LS1/LS2 setups that they will actually start to lose efficiency above 6400rpm... (Even with VERY AGGRESSIVE Cam profiles)

With his LS6 Stock Bottom End Rob Shifted his car a 6900-7000 rpm... Used the MN12 Trans and 4.10 gears to keep the RPM's up before shifts... He ran Trickflow 215 heads, and a 23x/23x .60x .60x cam...

You wouldnt REV your Cummins to 5000rpm becuz it would make more boost would ya???

#350 ·
I know that his cam was designed for that, but even if cwarta's cam is dropping power off, it will still be advantageous because the next gear will be that much higher in the power band. You just have to find the balance...are you making more power at 7300-7400? Or more power after a shift at 5000 in the next gear if you stopped the previous gear at 6800?

I would say there is no downside to shifting at 7000 or so, even if his cam is dropping power off at 6500.

#357 ·
aftermarket, BBK 80mm on 66Lemans 2002 Firehawk only shows 88% At WOT... where do you have your PE Enable set to 90%??? Factory anything above 5200rpm (IIRC) triggers PE at 30% throttle...

As for raising the REV limiter... The Dyno will tell ya where to rev it to(Does your power curve start to take a downward turn after 6700rpm?)... No sense in REVING the SHIT out of it not making any progress in the power curve... What Mchicia1 fails to realize is ROBZ's motor is setup to continue to make power that high... His cam is setup and heads are set to make progress with the LARGE BORE/Short STOKE. If you watch your VE table or g/cyl during WOT pulls you will see on NA LS1/LS2 setups that they will actually start to lose efficiency above 6400rpm... (Even with VERY AGGRESSIVE Cam profiles)

With his LS6 Stock Bottom End Rob Shifted his car a 6900-7000 rpm... Used the MN12 Trans and 4.10 gears to keep the RPM's up before shifts... He ran Trickflow 215 heads, and a 23x/23x .60x .60x cam...

You wouldnt REV your Cummins to 5000rpm becuz it would make more boost would ya???
Dan is the one who told me it isnt working untill 90%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.