LS1GTO Forums banner

Monster Stage 2 Installed!

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Radio 
#1 ·
Yesterday I finally got my Monster Stage 2 that I purchased through Marylandspeed installed, along with Tick's speed bleeder. For the last 2 years or so, my clutch would slip real bad when I got on it hard, but it passed the "clutch test" (put the car in 6th at 50ish mpg..and mash the gas to see if it slips). So I had figured it was my fly that is glazed over. Well, after looking at the flywheel yesterday, yeah that's exactly what it was. It was burnt so bad in some places that the flywheel was actually thinner (warped) in some areas.

So I got the Monster installed...and holy crap what a difference. The clutch actually has some pressure now, and "kicks" back at you. It releases right off the floor, so that'll take some getting used to. It feels like I'm driving a totally new car right now..and makes the MGW-P feel much better as well, not to mention it goes right into gear!

As far as chatter goes, I was a bit nervous about what I would encounter after the install, due to the posts I've read on here. However, just like Steve at Monster has said...if it's installed properly, you'll have zero chatter. Steve was right. The clutch is as smooth as butter and doesn't make a sound.

For breaking it in, I'm going easy on it, but not too easy. I'm not "racing" it at all, that's for sure, but I am definitely slipping it much less than I did with the stock clutch. Trying to get it to really seat good with a nice quick engagement. 500-600 miles can't come soon enough so I can really rip into it.

So far, I love it.
+1 for Monster Clutches!

See less See more
#3 ·
How is that Stage II

I need a clutch asap. I was thinking the Monster stage II or III. With my new setup I will be about 550rwhp on the juice. I think I would like the manners of the II but the strength of the III.
Any thoughts?

Keep it shiny side up...

#7 ·
In the description it says something like " This clutch will find the weak link in your drive line and .... Break.... etc..." I am sure you have read this as well? I guess what I am trying to say is, can you drive this clutch somewhat smoothly and gentle on the drive line and how is the shutter? I don't drive in traffic too often.

The reason I need a clutch so quickly is that last weekend I ran my first 1/4 mile ever. It was an embarrasing blast... The slowest race in history. I had many issues including the clutch which wouldn't go into 4th until depressing it several times and letting it cool for a few seconds. With a 1.011 reaction time, letting off the gas and breaking before the end (i didn't know where the end of the track was and it was very dark) and not being able to put it into gears quickly, I ran a 14.763 @ 59.91 mph.
Don't forget to turn off your traction control either.... At least I figured this out in my burn out. I was next to a S2000 and beat him pretty bad. I guess he also had bigger issues than I with a 22.313 @ 54.69. I will post my first thread with a copy of my time slip for all see and take laughter in...

Thank for all of you input and remember:

Keep it shiny side up...

#6 ·
Just crossed the 500 mile mark with my stage ii yesterday. Butter smooth still, very slight pedal pressure increase over stock, it's more grabby off idle than stock, zero chatter.

Plan to put more on it before I thrash it, hard to get "city" miles in a town with 7 lighted intersections. Well with out being reported for making 100 drive-bys lol. Couldn't help myself with a 02ish Gt though one good 3rd gear pull shut him down, clutch had a little over 100 breakin miles on it lol.

#8 ·
I have the stage II as well and love it. I have about 15k on it now and still drives like new. The only issues I had was when installing it. I bought the upgraded steel braided lines. Well where is hooks into the slave cylinder line it was not crimped and when I went to bleed it it blew apart. Crimped it myslef and tried bleeding again and it was leaking at the slave cylinder. ( I bought the preium kit with new lightweight flywheel, salve and and all the rest of the goodies. also the stel braided lines and remote bleeder line) Anywas after pulling the trans loose three times to try and get it to
seal I gave up and put the orginal slave and line back on so I could get home. Lmao. I still have the slave and line I bought from them, but installed all this on a holiday that they were closed. They told me I could bring it back and they would exchange it, but I didn't feel like pulling it all out again to install new ones.

#9 ·
Just a quick update: I just broke 400 miles on it, however most of them have been commuting to and back from work. A lot of highway miles, combined with some stop-and-go traffic. So I'll probably wait till about 600 miles, just to be safe.

So far tho, it still drives fantastic. Very smooth engagement, and the pedal pressure has lessened a bit. Not by too much. Driving gently, the clutch itself feels very much like the stock clutch. No chatter at ALL. So far so good!

#11 ·
Awesome to hear, when I first saw this thread I was hoping this was a review for the level 2 twin disk that just came out. My level 2 twin just showed up on friday that I bought through Steve at SNL, but I'm out of town on vacation right now but will be installing it as soon as I get back and find sometime between work since I used all my vacation time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.