LS1GTO Forums banner

New wheel question

2K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Peter2001SS 
#1 ·
Going to pick up some Ruff 280's in chrome. 18x8.5 35 offset 18x9.5 45 offset. I know the fronts will fit fine, but i know the rears will have problems. My rear springs suck so I need to pick up either 5/16 or 0 drops for the rear. Which one? And I know my fenders will need to be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I am running 18x9.5 +45 on 275s Stock height, I had to trim the living hell out of my fenders to get them to stop rubbing, I would be afraid that going lower in the rear than what i am at would cause me major issues seeing as how i still rub on rare occasions. But then again, I fear rub because of how bad my lowered s10 rubs. I dont need 2 vehicles like that.

On that note i am thinking the tires i bought run wide on the sidewall width so that doesn't help any either.

#11 · (Edited)
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368940&highlight=ruff+280+fitment

Also the 35mm offset puts the wheel away from the strut to allow a little more camber which will give more clearance to the outer fender lip.

The OP is buying the wheels from me so I dont want to go and crap his thread as some people might say i'm just trying to make a sale.

Alignment is just good to do anytime suspension or wheel mods are made.

I dont have factory suspension like he does but i do have the first version of the Pedders coilovers which have LESS clearence to the strut side than OEM struts do. I have to run a 3mm spacer justt to run factory wheels and tires in the front.

He should be fine with an alignment to add a little camber in the front.
Im lowered and in the rear i was fine after i aggressively rolled my fenders and had a cradle alignment done

#14 ·
A +35 offset with a 8.5 inch rim will work but like most said on here the tire will stick out a bit farther then most people like on here, but to each his own. I have this set up with a 235 and its not to bad at all. And for the rears with a good fender roll, or just shave the lip and you'll be fine depending on what tire you buy, but pretty much most will fit without any issues once you've worked on the fenders.

#17 ·
I have the same wheels and size but not sure on the offset on the front will check tonight but they were fine with 245 tires. The rears on mine are an ET40 offset unfortunately and have very minor fender rub using 265 tires. I dont have the fenders rolled or cut, sometime before spring will change to the 5/16 drag springs before I will use these wheels.

#21 ·
Is that wheel (picture) the actual wheel? Looks like quite a lot of "dish", which is nice, although wondering if the spokes are just curved back or is that typical for a 9 1/2" rear wheel on these? I like the look, so wondering when the time comes for new wheels; just don't want too many issues with that size.

#22 ·
8.5 35MM

Inner Clearance: 7mm MORE
Outer Position: EXTEND an extra 19mm

#23 ·
That's the actual wheel. So the only way these would work if I put a 235 on the front? It just doesn't make since to me because I've been searching and people run ruff 278's 279's 280's 281's all +35 offset 245 on the front stock suspension no problem. So confused :wall:

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#24 ·
They will physically fit but they sit outside of the fender a little and if you lower the car it will have to run some camber up front to get the tire to tuck up in the fender. A buddy runs 235/35/19 on a 19x8.5 35ET and about -1.5 camber to get them to tuck with coilovers. Dropped about 1-1.5 inches.

#27 ·
The paint on that Goat looks nice, very well kept. :thumbs:

#32 ·
With an eastwood fender roller you can pull the fender out about a half inch or more. Thats better than cutting the fender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.