LS1GTO Forums banner

SNAFU - A cry for help

13K views 206 replies 36 participants last post by  Slightly.Above.Average 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright Situation is SNAFU.

Had to order a new torque converter because the one I had failed. Sucks, but then I just got word that the transmission is smurfed as well! :banghead::censored::censored::banghead:

Turns out my wonderfully expensive performabuilt stage 2 transmission was using a weak non-billet torque converter which needed an adapter plate to fit on :facepalm:. It failed and sent shrapnel throughout the rest of the transmission successfully killing it. Upon further inspection, supposedly very few parts were replaced with "stronger" parts that were expected to be in it :mad:.
I am out of funds on buying another "built" transmission just to have it fail and have terrible warranties which don't do a damn thing. The first time I purchased this transmission it failed in under 3 months and I got hit with a heavy labor charge of replacing it. Now it fails AGAIN when it hasn't seen that much racing and I'm still UNDER 400 rwhp! I was livid today when I found out it doesn't even have all the components I thought I paid for!!!!!

If anyone has a preferably 4L65e for cheap, please contact me. I'm out of ideas here. . .

Figure I'ld create a new thread since I'm no longer asking for assistance but begging for help :thumbs:, I'm now aware of what I need, I'm hoping someone has a transmission for cheap I could purchase from them. I've been without my GTO for nearly a month and not only am I going through displacement withdrawl but it is my only method of transportation.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll lend you all the alcohol you need to drown away your sorrows.

#5 ·
Ebay has a few "rebuilt" 4l65e transmissions from around 550 + shipping. Personally I would look in the local u-pull it for a low mileage wreck, and pull one for a couple hundred bucks. Probably more reliable than a "rebuilt" ebay transmission, and there should be quite a few u-pull its in Jersey.

#11 ·
Yeah checked the site earlier and didn't see any. I'll give them a call in the morning.

Did something happen with the original trans that made you wanna get all high performance trans'd up? I can't remember.

I know Melissa's stock trans lasted for almost an eternity. So, curious.

Side note: How the hell does Contemporary Corvette have no transmissions?!
First transmission you mentioned it shifted funny before it actually died. Decided I had a few extra bucks and aftermarket warranty so I wanted a transmission that would last. I put trust in the wrong person at the time.

#7 ·
Did something happen with the original trans that made you wanna get all high performance trans'd up? I can't remember.

I know Melissa's stock trans lasted for almost an eternity. So, curious.

Side note: How the hell does Contemporary Corvette have no transmissions?!

#14 ·
First off very sorry to see that happen to you. The next thing I would do is drive buy that shop and hurl the transmission they built out of the back of a pick up truck. Hope you find a competent place to build it right good luck to you.

#19 ·
Sent you a PM!!

I spent $1000 for a local guy to build my transmission. Upgraded everything.
Yeah, a couple years ago I use to have faith in "now banned" forum member on here. I was usually over-charged for services, but I thought I was getting top quality, hence I let him pick and install the drivetrain. Then he and his company disappeared, along with a set of my heads. . .

#17 ·
I spent $1000 for a local guy to build my transmission. Upgraded everything.

#23 ·
Had a similar experience in my Camaro with RPM transmissions. Although they offered to warranty everything which was great of them and appreciated, it just wasn't worth the $350 shipping + shop charge for taking out/back in, and 1 month down time on my daily driver to school. Although I'm not sure if it was the company that was the issue, as the car had a variety of problems that caused issues. Ended up just getting rid of the car which you may want to consider.

Not bashing RPM in any way, as my father has had one of their trans's in his car for a while without issues, but I've learned from that to only deal local, shipping things such as transmissions is just way to much. Just have to do your research before buying, a quick search on Ls1tech would have shown that performabuilt has been awful

#25 ·
There's a reason Brian at Kaltech recommended against using Performabuilt, etc. for stuff like this when I talked to him a few years ago about a built transmission. He always used a local guy that he knew did the work and knew did it right. This is not the first time I have heard this story. Sorry to hear it. You live, you learn.

#42 ·
M6

I want one of those for my Camaro.......some day.

Hope all works out for you Nick :picsnao: we will be at ATCO Friday & or Saturday so stop by for some BK chilly.............Bob.

#30 ·
Sorry to hear OP. I know exactly how you feel on being out of the car with trans down time.

I lucked out and had my trans rebuilt by my tech buddy who works on transmissions all the time. He's been rebuilding them for countless years. I was able to watch him put it back together with all new upgraded Sonnax parts. I was only out $350 for parts and another $500 for him to do the labor.

If I were you, either become a tech and DIY (not really), or actually see if you can find someone local who is reputable and see if they have a shop warranty, policy. Something where they will atleast cover the labor.

Good luck! I wish you the best!

#35 ·
Yeah Frank I can see how bad you feel about screwing someone else over. Glad to see the Mods banned you again. Its a slap in the face to Nick. Just shows the kind of garbage you are.

#34 ·
Sorry to hear about the tranny - that sucks major donkey balls.

But as Jrzy said - Melissa's stocker lasted a long, long time. So you should be good to go with a stocker.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.