LS1GTO Forums banner

Street Slayer Twin Carbon Install

8K views 99 replies 25 participants last post by  Hendrix-Engineering 
#1 · (Edited)
Recieved my clutch today so I figured I'd post up a few pictures along with the install. There is already a Street Slayer install thread the major difference being this is their full carbon offering. I'm pretty much tapped out with the current build and had intended on installing the Monster 5 I have sitting in the garage. I know she wont be able to hold but It would have been good enough to get me by till I could afford a tougher unit. I got a great deal on a used one that had about 800miles on it. Came out of a new Camaro, with approx 800 miles and a TVS installed. No track duty.

I had a Textralia twin a few years ago and I was not impressed. POS let go on the dyno and Tex wanted me to modify it to work. No thanks.

Pretty solid piece and I'm impressed with the obvious engineering that went into it. It comes with a steep 1900 dollar price tag and is rebuildable. Approx 1200 bucks for the rebuild.

A few pics one of the biggest things I noticed vs the Tex twin while the tex twin had 2 friction plates totaling 4 sides worth of material the Street Slayer has 3 plates and friction material on both the pressure plate and flywheel for a total of 8 sides of friction material. I assume this is so when the clutch is engaged you'll have carbon to carbon vs friction material to metal like most clutchs. Obviously I'm no expert hopefully some one with more knowledge on the matter can explain that.

See less See more
#48 ·
Latest update. Saturday night the wife and I headed out to do some BE tuning. Car felt great and we stopped about 40 miles north for dinner. Headed back out and with little warning my slave quit working. Middle of BFE so I had to call for some help. Dropped the transmission on Sunday and installed a new one. I have always swapped out slaves when I swap out clutchs this one had about 4k miles on it so I didnt. Lesson learned.....

Car was back up and running no leaks. Hit it with a 13lbs of boost and all was well till I got home. My fuel pump quit. I have the Aeromotive A1000. I contacted Aeromotive they have a rebuild program. I send my pump in they pull a rebuilt unit off the shelf and send it to me. All new internals and the 1yr warranty. My pump is on the way to KS and they will have it by COB friday I'm hoping I have it back by COB next friday the 29th. We'll see.

#55 ·
I always swap slaves. Just thought this time I would'nt that wont happen again :bomb:

Haha, sorry Rick, but I'm feeling your pain. Slaves FTMFL....wait wut? haha.

I look forward to you getting it all back together, tuned and getting some numbers up! I want to know what silly amounts of power you have now! lol
New pump should be here by the end of next week shouldnt be much longer:turbonaug

#54 ·
Haha, sorry Rick, but I'm feeling your pain. Slaves FTMFL....wait wut? haha.

I look forward to you getting it all back together, tuned and getting some numbers up! I want to know what silly amounts of power you have now! lol

#57 ·
Just got the fuel pump back a few days ago. About 1300 miles on the clutch now. No dyno numbers and I probably wont be able to get to that till after the new year. Outta time I'm packing up the house for the move to Tampa and dont have time to play with the car.

SOTP shes absolutly stronger than before thruout the RPM range. Tunes set I have 14lb springs in the car and I'm getting it. 3:07 gears def make the car easier to drive although I know it's harder on the clutch the clutch still drives like before no noise and holds firm. Hopefully in Dec I can get her on the rollers just not a priority right now. Drive to Tampa will be fun lol.

#58 ·
Glad to hear everything is coming together Rick. I know she was down for a long time. I'm still liking my clutch too. I can't wait to see what she puts down next year ;)

#59 ·
Rick..

I am not familiar with you and your car-I'm relatively new to this site but I am very interested in your build. I'm sure many others here know the details but I love the Goat, and would like to know if you could share with me the details on your car.
Thanks....Paul

#60 · (Edited)
#63 ·
Update. Clutch is still quiet and performing like a champ. I got stuck in Tampa rushour traffic a few days ago for about an hour and a half when I realized I completely forgot I had this clutch in the car and I needed to update the thread. Took the car to the dyno a few weeks ago 741hp/689tq. The tuner didnt feel comfortable running out 4th gear so he let off at 6K. With the 3:07's my 3rd gear now take me to about 125mph. I've got a little over 3K miles on her now and the clutch still has the driveability it had at day one. I am surprised how 1st thru 3rd gears are still worthless at full throttle but the gears do make it a little easier to drive. Wife still takes the car to work when the mood suits her. She has about an hour commute as well. Will post up more when we get her to the track.

Glad I finally got a clutch in the car that A. Is silent and B. Works as advertised.

#65 ·
Thanks for the update, Rick. I have plans to get the SS clutch from Thomas for my build, and this read has sealed the deal. Your not the first to speak of the SS in a positive term. Hope all is well.
Benwah

#66 ·
Sorry, 36lbs for the whole setup.

Thanks for the update, Rick. I have plans to get the SS clutch from Thomas for my build, and this read has sealed the deal. Your not the first to speak of the SS in a positive term. Hope all is well.
Benwah
If you ever catch yourself in Tampa Benwah you'll have to take it for a drive. Hope all is well on your end as well :)

Rick

#68 ·
Update: I finally took the car to the track last Thursday. Good news the clutch was perfect. 1st two runs were shakedown runs trying to get the setup right. 3rd run I set the two step at 3500rpm expecting great things and I broke my driveshaft slip yoke. Weakest link right ;) cars back together again with a stock driveshaft clutch hasn't missed a beat. Little over 5k miles on it now. I'll update this thread when we get her back on the track.

#71 ·
Jeremy I have and I have my upgrade picked out lol. I need to get this setup working before I upgrade thou. We were running street tires 1st shakedown pass was 12.2 at 124 I think no two step shifting at 6k. 2nd run I set the 2 step at 2k car bogged bad almost shutdown. 12.7. 3rd run turned up the two step to 3500 and broke the slip yoke. Once this puppies running 10s regularly I'll turn up the boost till i run out of turbo then we can upgrade. With the 3:07 gears it will make it harder but I'm not swapping back to the older set till after the mile event.

#72 ·
Another update. Got the rebuilt driveshaft back from DSS and installed. We went for a spirited cruise today with a few other members. Good mix of wot runs, corner carving and traffic for approx 150 hard miles. Clutch worked as advertised no slip no issues. Exactly what I want from my clutch. Next year when we turn up the boost I will have to get something else since I will be at the limit of what she can hold. But right now she's kicking ass.

#75 ·
Clutch is still performing nicely. A few weeks ago I installed the APS Extreme kit on the car. Bigger turbos and intake piping. Still working on the tune but I've done quite a few 3rd gear pulls (120 mph/3.07 gears) without issue. No noise or chatter and my wife still drives it when she wants in Tampa traffic. Hopefully I can get the car on a dyno on sat and get some numbers. Clutch is rated at 750 rwhp, on the old turbos I was at 740.

#76 ·
Clutch is giving up the ghost. Going over my logs confirms it. Really nice piece and worked as advertised. Carbon carbon twin is rated for 750whp apparently as you get closer to 850 they recommend the triple. Still haven't gotten it on the dyno and now ill hold off on it but the larger turbos do feel significantly stonger when they hit. Wild ass guess i am somewhere around 850whp now. 741/689 at 12lbs of boost on the dyno, on the street she would hold 14 solid with the old turbos. New turbos I'm still set at 14lbs.

Plan for now is to pull the Carbon carbon twin install my backup Monster 5 while I get the twin rebuilt sold and then get the triple. Twin is still holding nicely for dd purposes and unless I get a wild hair up my ass I'll continue driving her till after the new year before I worry about it. I will start a triple thread when it's time. I can't say enough about the twins great manners on the street. Like I've said before slightly stiffer pedal feel besides that no noises or issues. If you didn't know better you'd think she was stock. I'm still on the stock clutch master as well.

#79 ·
Very sorry to hear that it is not holding up. Just took mine apart while I had the tranny out and can say that the clutch still looks good and is holding up fine. Pressure plate is starting to wear, though. Been beating on mine for 3 years now.

#82 ·
Are you running an adjustable master?

Rick, let me know what you think of that triple when you get it in.
Im doing a TVS 3.3 build for a guy in town and its a sixspeed with the tripple .If you need a clutch ill send this one to you before we put it in and if you dont love it you can just send it back and will have it for this car when its ready.

#86 ·
Im doing a TVS 3.3 build for a guy in town and its a sixspeed with the tripple .If you need a clutch ill send this one to you before we put it in and if you dont love it you can just send it back and will have it for this car when its ready.
Sounds like quite the build. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Appreciate the offer on the clutch but right now, I have no desire to pull the trans and swap the SPEC out (it's still holding fine for the moment). If things change, I'll give you a holler.

Will do Jeremy, hopefully ill be in your neck of the woods around march/April and you can drive it to get a feel for yourself.
Awesome. Let me know when you're up this way.

#77 ·
I would be willing to bet if you had the stock gear instead of the 3.07 it would still hold at the overated 850rwhp.I will also say i dont think a single will hold under the same conditions.When you get ready ill take the twin in towards the tripple and you want have to wait,pay the difference and ill send you the tripple and you can send me back the twin.

#78 ·
Thomas your right the 3.07 gears really put a tremendous load on the clutch. I don't think a single will hold for anything but dd duties car shows etc but i expected turnaround time to be longer. Thank you for the offer :hail: I will be in touch after the holidays when I have the twin out and I'm ready. :turbonaug

#85 ·
Man this thread answered all of my questions about the added price of a twin clutch. My stock one has got to go fo sho. I'll definitely look into one of these after the winter

#90 · (Edited)
Ok holidays are over and i finally pulled the transmission today. Unfortunately my hex key decided it would rather round out. Fortunatly the bolt looks fine. Only thing left is to pull the pressure plate bolts. When sears opens In the morning ill get what i need.

Thomas Ill give you a call in the morning as well so we can get the ball rolling :)

#91 ·
Pressure plate bolt was ruined when I bought the new socket key so I had to remove the head with a grinder. I have it on the ground and will post up pictures in a few minutes after my shower. It looks alot like when I installed it ill post up those pictures as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.