LS1GTO Forums banner

Hendrix Wheels Installed and a question

4K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  lowpro192000 
#1 ·
Alright I'll grab some pics in a few minutes here. Anyhow they are the hendrix/champion speed series wheels 15x10 and since the car rarely sees the track (maybe once a year) I went ahead and put MT ET streets on 275 50 15 and I know that Thomas recommended I go with a Hoosier 9 inch slick but its a street warrior. Anyhow I ground down the caliper bolt and bent the brake line in order for the wheel to clear the brakes then I also cut the dust cover off the rear shock and notched the A-arm slightly. Mounted the wheel and tire and it rubbed the inner fenderwell so pulled it back off and beat in the inner fenderwell. Kept putting the wheels on and back off and beating the fenderwell in and I now think I'm at a point to where it can't be beat in anymore, I think I am hitting the frame rail. Everything is pretty good now except that it rubs on a right hand turn but left hand turns are fine and I can even turn a hard left with no problems but even a slight right will rub. My question is how far are you guys beating in your fenderwells? Also can I just run a small spacer in the rear with these wheels? Or will that cause issues with the outer fender? My fenders are already rolled fyi.
Thanks guys
Out to get some pics now, I'll post them up here in the next 20-30 minutes.

#3 ·
Edit: Suspension is completely stock except for the drag bags and in the pics the bags are inflated to 20psi (except the closeup night time pics in the garage there not inflated at all). The rub still occurred even with 30psi in the drag bags.

#6 ·
I've never had any rubbing issues with my Hendrix wheels, but I also pounded my inner quarter before even getting them (to clear my 285's).

You need to man up with the hammer though,

Yours,

Mine,

I brushed over mine with some of that thick tar-like undercoating, and you honestly can't even tell somebody went buck wild with a small sledge.:ninja:

#7 ·
Do you have room to fit a spacer without rubbing? Put a straight edge on the face of your rim and check how much room you have to the outer lip before you order one up.

#9 ·
Yeah I'm not too sure on that I'll have to check. Also with IRS though I would imagine that sitting normal it could hang out past the fender lip a little but only a little since when it squats and compresses the spring it brings the top of the tire inward giving negative camber allowing it to possibly still clear and tuck in.

#8 ·
I gotcha I may try to hammer it some more then only thing is though right where that crease so to speak thing is like 1 inch up from the lip all around at some points I think that is the frame rail. When I was doing the hammering you could hear it audibly change tones and my buddy even on the other side of the car was like "That's solid you ain't gettin any further than that" It just sounds and feels like a solid frame piece behind it that isn't going to move in any further. Mainly the area closest to the spring. Did you run into this issue as well? If I keep beating it in will it eventually go in further? Also what exact tire and size are you running on your hendrix 15x10's?
Thanks

#11 ·
You can jack up your control arm to simulate travel. I've done that but on jackstands first

#12 ·
Its real simple,if you cant move the tire towards the outside of the car,which i would bet you could then you have to modify the inside and your running a hell of a wide tire.Also a craddle alighnment is critical ,are you rubbing on both sides or one side? If you remember we sent you the deepest offset so you could run a huge tire down the road.I would say you need a 1/4 spacer

#15 ·
I understand that I went with a larger tire than recommended and am not trying to say anything bad about the wheel just was wondering if I can bang it in further which apparently I can, just gotta man up and not be afraid of breaking anything I guess. Thomas you have been nothing but huge help to me and have top of the line customer support and service and I thank again for that, I also love the wheels. Back on topic I am only rubbing on the drivers side. Also how is a cradle alignment done? I went down to tire kingdom last week for an alignment and had a tech that wasn't really sure how to do certain things with the gto I am going back on Tuesday to have a few things corrected since all he did was adjust toe in the front and rear and put it at factory specs and he never knew how to adjust the front camber. But I myself don't understand how the rear cradle alignment is done could someone explain?

#22 ·
275s fit when the cradle is correct. Due to the drag bags, the inner sidewall is hitting at the place shown. Usually with 275s, you have to BFH massage the area about 3" up, and near the shock tube.

I have Michelin PSS 275/30/19 and the little wee bit of scrape I got was solvable with a hammer, and spray of Undercarriage Rubber Plastidip type Carquest shit.

This might be your invitation to

(a) take advantage of the superior Hendrix support and borrow the tool
(b) consider lowering the back end. it might be too high for what you are trying to achieve. you can hammer out much more clearance on an IRS from the sheet metal just 1/2" above

#29 ·
Wang, what offset are you running on your rear wheels? I am looking at 275/30/19's too and have +45 offset.

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
And wang I def am going to re-spray that area to prevent rust I just left it that way so in the pic you can see which areas I beat in. Also I pumped the bags up real high thinking that would help with the rub but I guess my thinking is wrong? I can let the pressure all back out and it will lower the back end down more which won't bother me as I think it looks worse having the rear sitting that high.

#28 ·
Matching fronts may happen one day but not for a while. These tires will only be on the car on some select saturday nights for some races (This saturday they worked out well, beat a stalled auto camaro SS with a granatelli TT kit) It is my daily so no skinnies for now and I don't wan to have to swap out 4 wheels when just looking for extra traction on race nights.

#33 ·
Thomas
Same exact 15x10 as the OP....
Will using the following Hoosier avoid all aspects of what the OP is undertaking to fit his MT ET Street 275x50?

Hoosier.. Quick Time Pro DOT #17500
27x10.50
Tread Width=9.0
Section Width=10.1
Diameter=27.0
Circumference=85.0
Rec Rim & Test Size=8-10...8

Correct to assume this #17500 is a DR, and not Bias-Ply?
Any other optional DR/Slick choices?

#35 ·
Let me ask it this way.... with the same exact 15x10 as the OP

What is the recommended tire, and/or what other tire will fit based on the following:
in place..... 5/16 raised springs/shock extenders/drag bags
without..... using BFH/notching Control Arm/eliminating dust cover/cutting or bending fender lip.

#38 · (Edited)
FWIW, I had zero traction issues with the 26x9 Hoosier. I didn't even get 10 passes on them before I went with bigger brakes, but 6-7 of those runs were 1.6 second 60's and there was a LOT left on the table still.

If I didn't put these stupid brakes on, that setup would have easily had me in the 10's with the new setup.

Edit:

This is how low my car sits,

So with them being tucked at rest, just imagine how much they're stuffed in on 1.6 second 60's, and they did not rub at all.

#39 ·
Well I feel really retarded now, came home from work today and pulled the stocker wheels off with my daily tires on them and started pounding in the fenders a bit more and then put the 15x10's back on and drove it (no air in drag bags) still had some rubbing noises. Pulled back in the garage and manangled my way under the car without jacking it up to see what my clearances looked like (mind you only one side made rubbing noise) well the side the noise was coming from had MORE clearance than the other side, I was puzzled. Since I had spent all my time worrying about the front part of the wheel well since thats where the metal gets narrower I never looked at the back until today when it was not jacked up and all the noise I was hearing was from the plastic piece of the fender liner?? not sure thats what its called but just took some scissors and trimmed it nice and neatly and voila, everything is perfect, no noises even on heavy cornering and all. So I most likely banged in those fenders all that way for nothing. Oh well nothing some paint and undercoating can't fix, either way awesome set of wheels and I'm loving them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.